VOGONS

Socket 7 (Non Super) Fun..

Topic actions

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Making a thread to take my mind of the Slot 1 drama, got my (non super) Socket 7 setup up and running again. Memtesting as we speak, it seems happy enough with my rather jank cooling setup.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Z8L1Ev5SZgNFy6L9

Yes that is some cut up credit card keeping the heatsink level(it wanted to "tilt" on the CPU for some reason with the bracket fitted ?) and yes that is a 40mm chipset fan on there instead of a proper sized one.

Reply 1 of 35, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have got the clamp on the wrong way around. The tab to press down on belongs where the Socket 7 text is. The clamp will often have an asymmetrical bend to focus mounting pressure on the die area. Maybe that's why the cooler is tilting. 😀

Edit: Not even sure it's called a clamp but you probably know what part I'm talking about. 😉

Reply 2 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-22, 16:49:

You have got the clamp on the wrong way around. The tab to press down on belongs where the Socket 7 text is. The clamp will often have an asymmetrical bend to focus mounting pressure on the die area. Maybe that's why the cooler is tilting. 😀

Edit: Not even sure it's called a clamp but you probably know what part I'm talking about. 😉

The plastic tab on the side where the socket 7 text is is somewhat busted and barely holds which is why I have that set this way as its the best way to get the clamp to hold properly.

Reply 3 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, for a Pentium MMX setup which sound card ?

Sound Blaster Live..
Phillips PSC605..

Or old School with the Aztec 2316R ISA ?

The left over PCI card will go into the Slot 1 setup once I have that up and running.. but I will have the additional option of a Sound Blaster X-Fi to for the Slot 1 as I may make that a XP machine as 98SE or ME will go on the MMX.

Reply 4 of 35, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

None of those, honestly. Well maybe the Live! since i believe that has SB16 emulation, but if your gonna be rocking DOS games with this rig you really want a ISA card.

That leaves you with the Aztech then. I have no idea how well those play with windows so I'd personally recommend you head on the net and grab a cheap AWE64/32 sometime if you can.
I think most Aztech cards have real OPL3 however, a real treat! 😀

Reply 5 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-05-24, 03:10:

None of those, honestly. Well maybe the Live! since i believe that has SB16 emulation, but if your gonna be rocking DOS games with this rig you really want a ISA card.

That leaves you with the Aztech then. I have no idea how well those play with windows so I'd personally recommend you head on the net and grab a cheap AWE64/32 sometime if you can.

The Aztech card should be fine with Windows.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 35, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why bother with Windows on a system like this? Yes, Win98SE itself will run fine given enough RAM (not too much though - i430TX chipset has 64MB cacheable limit, so that's exactly the amount of RAM you want), but most Windows games will be very slow on this CPU. Unless you also want to run MS Office 97, I'd stick to DOS.

Re sound cards - the AZT2316R has full WSS support, so Windows loves it. It's non-PnP though, so it might be necessary to set resources (DMA, IRQ) via configure tool in DOS first before you can tell Windows which to use. If you really want Windows games too, you could use the SBLive next to it. Just ignore the SBLive in DOS (at best it emulates roughly what the Aztech does natively), in Windows it gives you A3D and EAX, and possibly some CPU offload.

Reply 7 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-05-24, 03:10:

AWE64's are anything but cheap.. seriously go look at the prices on eBay.

I can not justify buying yet another sound card right now as I have these 4 options here for my oldx86 systems already.

I think what I will do is I will use the Phillips or the Aztech in the Socket 7 and ether the X-Fi or the Live in the Slot 1 depending on OS used.

Reply 9 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-24, 09:51:

Basic AWE64s are pretty cheap, but to make them useful you really need a SIMMconn RAM expander which are not cheap at all.

Prices for UK sellers on eBay for AWE64's are between £75 and £250.

Reply 10 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-05-24, 09:24:

Why bother with Windows on a system like this? Yes, Win98SE itself will run fine given enough RAM (not too much though - i430TX chipset has 64MB cacheable limit, so that's exactly the amount of RAM you want), but most Windows games will be very slow on this CPU. Unless you also want to run MS Office 97, I'd stick to DOS.

Re sound cards - the AZT2316R has full WSS support, so Windows loves it. It's non-PnP though, so it might be necessary to set resources (DMA, IRQ) via configure tool in DOS first before you can tell Windows which to use. If you really want Windows games too, you could use the SBLive next to it. Just ignore the SBLive in DOS (at best it emulates roughly what the Aztech does natively), in Windows it gives you A3D and EAX, and possibly some CPU offload.

Never been able to get the AZT2316R to work properly in Windows.

1) What exactly do I need to download software/driver wise to get it working in Win 9x and how do I install/configure this software ?

2) The board I have has a Jumper for "Config Mode", ether "EEPROM"or "Software" options, which of these is the correct one given what I may be doing in 1) ?

Reply 12 of 35, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-24, 10:20:
Never been able to get the AZT2316R to work properly in Windows. […]
Show full quote

1) What exactly do I need to download software/driver wise to get it working in Win 9x and how do I install/configure this software ?

2) The board I have has a Jumper for "Config Mode", ether "EEPROM"or "Software" options, which of these is the correct one given what I may be doing in 1) ?

My advice: keep it as simple as possible.
- Use EEPROM
- set in (pure) DOS, use the DOS utility to set known-good settings (A220 I5 D1 T4 P330 should usually work)
- in BIOS, reserve those resources for legacy/ISA so Windows' PnP won't claim them (this is probably what went wrong previously)
- boot into Win98SE. The card is non-PnP, so won't be detected automatically.
- Go to Add New Hardware Wizard and basically just select it from the list (Sound, Video & Game devices, manufacturer Aztech, then a Sound Galaxy 16 or similar)
- If that fails, just tell Windows you have a Soundblaster Pro 2.0

I'm afraid I don't have a Win98SE system with ISA slots at the moment, so can't tell you exact names that work, but in 98SE, "it just works" so long as you choose a non-PnP card from the list.

Reply 13 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-05-24, 11:06:
My advice: keep it as simple as possible. - Use EEPROM - set in (pure) DOS, use the DOS utility to set known-good settings (A220 […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

- Use EEPROM
- set in (pure) DOS, use the DOS utility to set known-good settings (A220 I5 D1 T4 P330 should usually work)
- in BIOS, reserve those resources for legacy/ISA so Windows' PnP won't claim them (this is probably what went wrong previously)
- Go to Add New Hardware Wizard and basically just select it from the list (Sound, Video & Game devices, manufacturer Aztech, then a Sound Galaxy 16 or similar)

I'm afraid I don't have a Win98SE system with ISA slots at the moment, so can't tell you exact names that work, but in 98SE, "it just works" so long as you choose a non-PnP card from the list.

Ok so with the Aztec here is what I am gonna do ?

Reserve IRQ 5 in BIOS.
Install WIndows 98SE.
Install the DOS/Win 3.1 drivers for the Aztech in DOS mode to get access to the setting utility and use that to set config.
Install the Aztec Windows 9x Full Duplex drivers.

Something like this ?

Last edited by Xs1nX on 2020-05-24, 13:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 35, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-24, 09:59:

Basic AWE64s are pretty cheap, but to make them useful you really need a SIMMconn RAM expander which are not cheap at all.

umm if you check sold listings you see that they routinely go for ~20 pounds, don't ever use current "buy it now" prices to judge general pricing :p
also those more expensive cards are AWE64 Gold versions.

Reply 16 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-05-24, 13:37:
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-24, 09:59:

umm if you check sold listings you see that they routinely go for ~20 pounds, don't ever use current "buy it now" prices to judge general pricing :p
also those more expensive cards are AWE64 Gold versions.

I almost always do Buy It Now and/or Best Offer rather then auctions as I am terrible at dealing with auctions. I find dealing with sniper bids and timing and second guessing and all that bull to be to stressful tbh.

Reply 17 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So uh had my USB keyboard(via a PS2 Adapter, in fact I am using 2, 1 for kb one for mouse) freak out on me and the LEDs for Caps and Numlock refused to work properly, changed to a different older USB keyboard and its fine ?

Reply 18 of 35, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-05-24, 12:57:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Ok so with the Aztec here is what I am gonna do ?

Reserve IRQ 5 in BIOS.
Install WIndows 98SE.
Install the DOS/Win 3.1 drivers for the Aztech in DOS mode to get access to the setting utility and use that to set config.
Install the Aztec Windows 9x Full Duplex drivers.

Something like this ?

No idea if the tool works (correctly) under Windows' DOS mode. Again, keep it simple: boot into native DOS first. Then set in DOS. This doesn't even have to be on the same computer, so long as you can save settings into that EEPROM it will work. If you want to play DOS games, you'll want native DOS on your machine anyway...

After you have the card set, start with BIOS settings (reserve IRQ 5 and DMA 1 in my example, but be sure to reserve what you are actually able to successfully set!). Then do the Windows install of the card. Again, I didn't need any external drivers, Win98SE had built-in working drivers (which is no surprise as it is fully hardware-compatible with WSS and SBPro2).

Reply 19 of 35, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-05-24, 11:06:
My advice: keep it as simple as possible. - Use EEPROM - set in (pure) DOS, use the DOS utility to set known-good settings (A220 […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

- Use EEPROM

Installed the DOS/Win3.1 Drivers by running the setup.exe in the directory "P16II-1" extracted from the zip by the same name in the Vogons Aztec zip

The resulting installed config utility can not find the sound card, but the "fmtest.exe 220 " command in the same directory does work ? i.e it makes music.

IRQ 5 is reserved in BIOS.

Have been trying to get this working for a while and honestly am about to give up again.. I seem to remember this took hours to get working the last time I had it even half working but I cant remeber how I got it working.