VOGONS

First post, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I often see advice when troubleshooting to make sure one is using simms or dimms that are gold plated. I understand the difference in conductivity but would have thought the difference to be small given the thickness of the plating. Is this “advice” given as a way to steer someone in the general direction of higher quality components, or is there a quantitative, objective difference that causes silver plated memory to be non-functional in certain applications?

Reply 1 of 11, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The advice to use certain metal is due to materials reacting with each other and corroding. So you want SIMM slots and modules to be using the same metal.

Silver is a bit more conductive than gold, but gold makes contacts more wear resistant, which is more important than conductivity for this type of use.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 5 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was an advice back then to avoid mixing gold and tin (such as using tin plated modules on gold plated contacts) as it could be a cause of corrosion/oxidization. But I have never seen any noticeable effect on boards/modules that had this type of mix for several years, so even if there is some type of corrosion it's probably not enough to be a problem.

Reply 7 of 11, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never experienced that either I think. But I can't tell as I don't routinely measure capacitance and resistance of my contacts 😀

But fretting is a well-researched topic and unless you have some extreme case (or measure in lab) you don't know if a memory error was caused by this or something else.

gold to gold contacts is a gold standard 😀

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 8 of 11, by xXmobiusXx1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You will never see Silver used on normal consumer products, only aerospace or military. The reason they use silver is to eliminate tin splinters that form under vibration. There is no capacitance advantage, all lands are copper base and then plated with tin, nickle or gold.

Reply 9 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Swiego wrote on 2020-05-24, 16:06:

I often see advice when troubleshooting to make sure one is using simms or dimms that are gold plated.

on the other hand, in all of the intel socket4-7 mainboard manuals it's specifically mentioned to only use tin leaded SIMMs, for whatever that's worth.

Reply 10 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-05-24, 17:28:

I have been doing this stuff for decades and have also never witnessed any ill effects from mating tin and gold contacts.

Nor have I......

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 11, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gold contacts are harder and have a lower oxidation. Tin contacts tending to cold welding, depending on force and friction. The advantage of gold depends on intended purpose.

You take gold if:
- frequent plugging
- vibration in the connection
- corrosive environment
- low voltage and current over the connection

Applied to the use case for RAM modules it should make no difference. Maybe in case of corrosion, if you don’t run your system for many years ... or if you often mount and dismount the module.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE