VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Sound Blaster Vibra16 CT4170 card and was interested to find out of if this would work in a Tandy 1000 TX. The thing about the CT4170 is that it does not use any 16-Bit DMA, making it good candidate for use in an 8-Bit slot. First off Diagnose, CTCU, and CTCM do not work on the TX, so some other utility has to be used to configure the card. You can use a utility called CT4170.exe to initialize the card based on the BLASTER environment variable. My BLASTER environment variable is set as:

BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6

You can then run CT4170 to initialize the card followed by MIXERSET /P to set the volume in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. This will not enable the onboard game port on the card which is good since the TX already has two joystick ports. I also disabled IRQ 5 by turning of DIP Switch 2 on the motherboard, so there would not be any conflict. Every game I have tested has worked fine as well as running the test programs for the Sound Blaster 1.0, Sound Blaster 2.0 and Sound Blaster Pro cards. The only downside is the CT4170 does not have a real OPL3 Yamaha FM chip, but the CQM chip by Creative is not that bad. I have attached a ZIP file containing CT4170.exe.

Attachments

• Filename
    CT4170.zip
    File size
    12.12 KiB
    Downloads
    121 downloads
    File comment
    SB16 PnP Initialization program
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good job. So a 16bit SB can work on an old Tandy 1000! You do know the Vibra and SB16 do use 16bit DMA, you just remapped it on the card to use same as 8bit DMA (the D1 H1 in Set Blaster). Should be able to do same with some jumper set SB16 but to get a PnP card working on it is great !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-05-29, 02:50:

Good job. So a 16bit SB can work on an old Tandy 1000! You do know the Vibra and SB16 do use 16bit DMA, you just remapped it on the card to use same as 8bit DMA (the D1 H1 in Set Blaster). Should be able to do same with some jumper set SB16 but to get a PnP card working on it is great !

The high DMA on the CT4170 does not use DMA channels 5-7. It only uses DMA channels 0-3, which is what made me think to try it. I know other SB16 cards can be made to work if they have jumpers for all the settings as you have said. In any case, I was really happy to get this working. The other big advantage of using the CT4170 is that they are usually available on eBay for less than $20. Older 8-bit Sound Blaster cards will easily go in excess of $100 as a starting point.