VOGONS

First post, by MII-233

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This should be pretty simple. For the first thing, I'm looking for is an XP-compatible PCI sound card (ideally SoundBlaster, but something) that has the connector for an HD audio connector (since my case is the Enthoo Pro I don't have a pigtail for AC97). I've seen the Xonar DG bouncing around quite a bit and the price is right, but I can't find if the front panel pinout is AC97 or HD to save my life.

The second one is a bit tricker, as I'm looking for a PCI USB 2.0 card that has two internal headers (again for front panel stuff, already have a 3.0 to 2.0 adapter for that set of plugs on the case). Can't really elaborate on that much other than saying the obligatory "gotta be XP compatible."

Zenith: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 80GB Barracuda 7200.9 (OS+Programs) + 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 (games), Windows XP Pro SP3

944TreU.gif

Reply 1 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

2. Trickier indeed; can't think of one off the top of my head. You really have 4 USB ports on the front panel, and no available headers on the motherboard?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 3, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can convert HD Audio headers on the case to connect to a AC97 sound card header. I did it with my Voodoo II SLI build that I put in a new Silverstone Raven case. I think I got the adapter from MOD DIY or eBay for around $3 - $5.

Also, you can get cable adapters for the weird 1x10 Sound Blaster Audigy style header to connect to your case's HD or AC97 audio cable. The adapters are $3.30 on eBay.

As for more internal USB port headers, look at the NZXT IU01 or iBuyPower IES System. There are a bunch of companies that make internal USB hubs with header connections.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 3, by MII-233

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-05-31, 17:37:

2. Trickier indeed; can't think of one off the top of my head. You really have 4 USB ports on the front panel, and no available headers on the motherboard?

Yep, the Enthoo Pro has 2x 2.0 and 2x 3.0, and the only header I have on the board is not only slow as sin, but also has the pin where the blockoff usually goes.

wiretap wrote on 2020-05-31, 17:51:

You can convert HD Audio headers on the case to connect to a AC97 sound card header. I did it with my Voodoo II SLI build that I put in a new Silverstone Raven case. I think I got the adapter from MOD DIY or eBay for around $3 - $5.

Also, you can get cable adapters for the weird 1x10 Sound Blaster Audigy style header to connect to your case's HD or AC97 audio cable. The adapters are $3.30 on eBay.

As for more internal USB port headers, look at the NZXT IU01 or iBuyPower IES System. There are a bunch of companies that make internal USB hubs with header connections.

Ah, good to know. I totally forgot MODDIY has really oddball stuff like that.

And I'm glad you mentioned those internal splitter dealios, getting cards with a single internal header is not only a hell of a lot easier usually, but it'll also help things look better seeing as I won't need to have two cables running to it (and it'll mean I won't have to use an extension for the one coming from the 3.0 cable, since that's a bit short).

Zenith: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 80GB Barracuda 7200.9 (OS+Programs) + 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 (games), Windows XP Pro SP3

944TreU.gif