VOGONS

Reply 220 of 251, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalohimal wrote on 2024-02-13, 02:57:

Fair enough and thanks for sharing. But unfortunately I simply do not have the time nor interest to dwell on this further. As already mentioned I've previously experimented and found changing the BSP alone won't do the trick, at least not on the CPU I tested. I'd rather stick with what AMD docs said, than depending on undocumented functions that might not work across all CPU revisions, and have people coming with issues and creating lots of headaches that need fixing later. Good day and have fun.

It's OK. And of course you were right that you decided to do settings according to documentation. What you achieved with AP programming under DOS is exceptional as I have already mentioned before. So you have done the best with using it to set Core 2/K10 MSRs.
I have just mentioned that in reality things are different and in case of K10 this is not strictly required .That's all.
Bye.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 222 of 251, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to say, thank you so much kalohimal for creating such a great tool, really appreciate the effort!
I'm using it on my K6-III+ build and soon enough I will give it a go in a new C3 Nehemiah set up I'm working on.

Thanks!

Be free!

Reply 223 of 251, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not into low-level hardware programming (BIOS, drivers etc. assembly related stuff), but for some time I've been wondering if it is possible to be written some kind of driver or DOS TSR for AMD K6-2+/III+ processors, that can automatically change CPU's multiplier according to its usage/load? As far as I know these "+" versions are mobile variants of the К6-III with implemented some basic power saving features. So far I haven't been able to find such driver or software tool for DOS or win 9x/Me/XP/NT for those latest K6 processors.

I apologize that my question is a bit off-topic, but SpuSpd tool does support manual setting of K6-2+/III+ multipliers.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 225 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@analog_programmer

Yes that could be done, in fact many years ago I had come across such a utility (a TSR to gather cpu execution statistics). Unfortunately I could not recall the utility's name. AFAIK how modern OSes calculate cpu load is by checking the frequency and time the cpu spent on idling. And DOS does have an "idle hook" (INT 28h, Idle Interrupt) which is called when DOS has nothing to do. So if your TSR program hooks on to this, gathers cpu statistics and then change the multiplier, then yeah theoretically you could achieve what you're asking.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 226 of 251, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cpuspd works brilliantly on my kt133a/686b system, but i'm not having success on a i440bx/piix4 laptop. it's a compaq armada e500 with a p3 850mhz. there's no acpi option in the barebones bios, but xp installs in acpi mode instead of apm so i assume there's no issue there.

enabling/disabling the cpu caches works fine, but none of the granular t (1-8) parameters has any effect on system performance (benchmarked with topbench). cpuspd reports no error and it registers the previous t (1-8) setting on subsequent runs as if it was always successful.

the cpuspd chart indicates my system should be supported so what's going wrong?

Reply 227 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@stanwebber,

Could you issue these 2 commands and show the screenshot please:
cpuspd ip
cpuspd d t

The first one will perform a PCI scan and list all PCI devices. This will show us the south bridge in your laptop (most probably a PIIX4M).

Second one will just show the debug messages for detecting ACPI and let us know whether the ACPI tables are setup by BIOS (without which the program won't be able to find the throttle port). Since you could set the throttle using t[x] and the program didn't complain about it, I doubt it is the problem but we'll take a look anyway.

Reply 228 of 251, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2024-03-14, 18:42:
@stanwebber, […]
Show full quote

@stanwebber,

Could you issue these 2 commands and show the screenshot please:
cpuspd ip
cpuspd d t

per your request:

cpuspd ip

CPUSPEED version 2.1 - by David C.Y. Wong.
Vendor: Class:
Bus Dev Fn Device ID Subcls Description
--- --- -- --------- ------ ---------------------------------
0 0 0 8086:7190 6:0 Host bridge
0 1 0 8086:7191 6:4 PCI-PCI bridge
0 4 0 104C:AC1C 6:7 CardBus bridge
0 4 1 104C:AC1C 6:7 CardBus bridge
0 7 0 8086:7110 6:128 Other bridge
0 7 1 8086:7111 1:1 IDE disk controller
0 7 2 8086:7112 12:3 USB serial bus controller
0 7 3 8086:7113 6:128 Other bridge
0 8 0 125D:1978 4:1 Multimedia audio multimedia controller
0 9 0 8086:1229 2:0 Ethernet network controller
0 9 1 11C1:0445 7:0 Serial communications device
1 0 0 1002:4C4D 3:0 VGA display controller

cpuspd d t

CPUSPEED version 2.1 - by David C.Y. Wong.
DPMI version: 0.90 flags: 01
acpi_search_rsdptr: ebda addr = 20F0
acpi_search_rsdptr: found in bios, rsdtPtr = FFF476D
Found RSDT, length = 44, entries = 2
addr[0]: FFF4828, table: FACP
addr[1]: FFF4799, table: SSDT
ACPI found, RSDT: 0FFF476D, FADT: 0FFF4828, DSDT: 0FFF48A0
Throttle register: 3000
Throttle port: 5010h, 3 bits, offset: 1
CPU throttle is 8/8

Reply 229 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your screenshots look normal:

8086:7110 -- this is the PIIX4/E/M south bridge
8086:7113 -- this is the power management device

And as expected the ACPI tables are present in the BIOS as well so no problem there.

Could you try this please:
cpuspd t tx1
and check whether the throttle changes using a speed benchmark program. The first 't' is needed to setup the ports and the 'x' in second 'tx' will force enabling the clock control bit in the PIIX4. '1' could be any throttle values you like (except 8 of course).

You could also try forcing the program to use the south bridge database file "cpuspd.sbi" instead:
cpuspd xp t1
Please note that the 'xp' command is experimental (leading 'x') and might be removed in future revision. I should probably move this to a proper throttle command in the next revision.

Reply 230 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok I dug out my old and trusty Asus P2B-VM with PIIX4E, tested and confirmed there is a bug.

cpuspd t1 <== this would set the throttle value but the throttle didn't happen.
cpuspd t tx1 <== this works
cpuspd xp t1 <== this works as well

The PIIX4E has an extra "clock control enable" bit which need to be set to enable power management, when compare to other later Intel south bridges. I've looked at the code and yeah, in the first case the function that set this bit wasn't called. I'll fix this in the next revision. Meanwhile, please use "t tx" as an interim solution. Also, once this clock control bit is set, you don't need to set it again until the next reset, so subsequently "cpuspd t[1..8]" will work.

I believe your test results would be the same since the registers are the same for PIIX4E and PIIX4M. Please let me know if otherwise. Cheers.

Reply 231 of 251, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes, i tested the same scenarios on my laptop and the behavior is identical to what you ascribe. given the plethora of 440bx systems i'm surprised this hasn't come up before. cpuspd has no software equal in slowdown smoothness (especially on via systems). i look forward to the next version release.

Reply 232 of 251, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear all,

I have been playing around with cpuspd 2.1 on my new build based on a VIA C3 Nehemiah 1200MHz (9x 133 MHz) processor.
Below these lines you could find the speed sweet spots I consider the best ones.

nehemiah-cpuspd.png
Filename
nehemiah-cpuspd.png
File size
44.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I do not like using "throttle" as I believe it makes things sound or behave weird, so all these results are without toggling the default throttle value (8 for this CPU).
I have also used smb from RayeR to adjust the FSB speed.

Please note, I tried to disable D-Cache but that resulted in freezes (post below).

At any rate I hope this helps someone!
Thanks again Kalohimal for such a great tool.

Last edited by kahuna on 2024-03-17, 05:53. Edited 3 times in total.

Be free!

Reply 233 of 251, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found a quirk. Not sure if it has been reported yet.
If I disable D-Cache (ecd), the CPU runs at such new speed. However, I cannot run cpuspd again, otherwise my system freezes 🙁

Edit to say that is not a quirk, it's an important issue. I thought it was fine because I could run 3dbench without problems, but I just tried to launch 'edit' with D-Cache disabled, the machine freezes 😢
Also tried to launch Doom with the D-Cache disabled, I got right away an EMM386 unrecoverable error and had to reboot.

Another edit as I've run a couple of commands with the debug flag.

cpuspd d i
DPMI version: 0.90 flags:01
VIA Nehemiah ID(6,9,A)
CPU fequency is 1200MHz (TSC)
CPUID.1 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=0381B93F flag=0007

cpuspd d ecd
DPMI version: 0.90 flags:01
VIA set features: eax=9e3f1ad6,9e3f5ad6
Cache is on, L2 cache is on
VIA I-cache: on, D-cache: off, branch prediction: on
VIA show features: eax=9e3f5ad6

Apologies for the multiple edits, just wanted to provide all information I can without spamming too much.

Be free!

Reply 234 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@kahuna,

I tested on my C7 Esther and speed600/doom did hang when ecd is set (D-cache disabled) alone. But it seems to work fine when c2d is issued first:

cpuspd c2d ecd

From previous testing it seems that Ezra has no problem since no one reported any problems, so perhaps it no longer works from Nehemiah onwards? I have neither Azra nor Nehemiah so I can't make any confirmation. Or is it because the D-cache resides in L1, it needs L2 to be off? I don't know. The datasheet from VIA is quite brief on the programming section and mentioned only which bit on which MSR to toggle, so all the program does is just toggle that particular bit. Currently I have no further solution for this problem.

Reply 235 of 251, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works! 😀

Disabling L2 first and then disabling D-Cache does the trick.
I thought I tried that but maybe not in that order, not sure.
Anyway, I’ll test more later tonight and update the table accordingly.

Thank you so much!

Be free!

Reply 236 of 251, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been testing different things, and folks this is awesome! 😎 cpuspd is amazing!! 😁
RayeR's SMB also helps too! 😀

Here is the final table I came up with for my VIA C3 Nehemiah 1200MHz.

nehemiah-cpuspd_final.png
Filename
nehemiah-cpuspd_final.png
File size
49.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Enjoy!

Be free!

Reply 237 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 2.2 released. Please download from post #1.

What's new:

• Bug fix for PIIX4 "clock control enable" not set in throttle.
  • Improved SMP codes to better support AMD K10 cpu (and beyond).
  • Improved robustness of ACPI search codes which will hopefully eliminate protection faults reported for some motherboards.
  • Improved p-state functions to respect boosted p-states for AMD K10 (and perhaps future AMD cpu families).
  • Correctly report error when CPU doesn't support hardware p-state (HWP).
  • Cleanup VIA Esther codes.
  • Multiplier (m) and fidvid (f) commands now works for AMD K10.
  • Added FDV (Fid, Did, Vid) values display for the 'p' command for AMD K10.
  • Added 'pe' command for AMD K10, to allow changes to Fid, Did and Vid for other p-state. (Note: I'd forgotten to include this in the readme.txt and the program's help. Will do that in the next version, but for now this command will work.)
  • Added 'pf' command for AMD K10, to allow changes to Fid and Did only without affecting Vid.
  • Added 'tf' command to use the south bridge database file 'cpuspd.sbi' first before attempting ACPI search for throttling. Normally the program will first attempt to use ACPI to find the throttle port, and switch over to the database file only when ACPI search failed.

The 'm' and 'f' commands work as previously, i.e. m[x] sets the multiplier in decimal, and f[ffvv] sets the fidvid (ffvv is 4 digit hex value, where ff = fid and vv = vid).
cpuspd m12 <-- sets multiplier to 12.
cpuspd f040C < -- sets fidvid to fid=04 and vid=0C.

The 'tf' command is identical to 't', except for using the database file:
cpuspd tf <-- shows current throttle, but setup throttle port using database file instead of ACPI.
cpuspd tf4 <-- sets throttle to 4, but setup throttle port using database file instead of ACPI.

IMG_20240324_111247.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240324_111247.jpg
File size
960.81 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Note: the ‘min' and 'max' are values reported by the cpu. Since K10 is not locked, it is possible to set values beyond 'max' (overclocking/overvoltaging).
Important note: Changing Vid is risky as severe over voltage might damage the cpu. For K10 the Vid value is inversely related to voltage, i.e. smaller Vid results in higher voltage!

'cpuspd p' will now display the FDV value (Fid, Did, Vid), to provide this information at a glance (please see picture below).
How to use 'pf' command:
pf[ffdd] - modify the Fid (frequency multiplier) and Did (frequency divisor) for the current p-state, leaving Vid alone. ff = Fid and dd = Did in hex. ffdd must be 4 digit hex.
For example:
cpuspd pf0604 < -- will set multiplier to 6 and divisor to 4.

IMG_20240324_111501.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240324_111501.jpg
File size
851.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

How to use 'pe' command:
pe[nffddvv] - modify the Fid (frequency multiplier), Did (frequency divisor), and Vid (voltage) for the specified p-state. n=p-state number to change, ff = Fid, dd = Did, and vv = Vid in hex. nffddvv must be 7 digit hex.
For example:
cpuspd pe206040C < -- will set p-state P2's multiplier to 6, divisor to 4, and voltage to 0C.

Commands that are no longer needed and removed: tx, xp

Cheers and have fun.

Last edited by kalohimal on 2024-03-25, 17:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 238 of 251, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalohimal wrote on 2024-03-24, 14:50:

[*]Improved p-state functions to respect boosted p-states for AMD K10 (and perhaps future AMD cpu families).

Hi,
I have tested this with a Thuban Phenom II and enabled core performance boost. It does not work as expected. In case of enabled boost and Thuban Phenom II the real P0-state becomes the boost state and you cannot select boost state (P0) directly anymore only P1 and higher P-sates stay directly selected. So in CpuSpd there will be a +1 offset effective all the time between the P-state you set and the P-state you select. The result is that none of the -pm, -f etc. commands will work anymore since they change another MSR than the real active one.
You have to set a higher numbered P-state and then you have to select a -1 lower P-state in order to activate the settings that the -pm, -f etc. commands have set.
Currently with activated boost I have to run the following 4 commands (in this order) to get the same effect that normally (without boost enabled) only 1 command can achieve:

//REM for 100 MHz
cpuspd p1
cpuspd pm000425
cpuspd p0
cpuspd pm000425 // this is needed to reset TSC since currenly TSC is only reset when P0 state is set however with enabled boost really P1 is the lowest selectable P-state

Overall the problem seems to be that the set routines always use 'hardware' P-state numbering but the select routines use 'software' P-state numbering. In case of older Phenoms and Thuban with disabled boost there is no difference between the 2 numbering systems. But with enabled boost on Thuban there is an offset (1) between the 2 numbering systems:

software_pstates.png
Filename
software_pstates.png
File size
63.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 239 of 251, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Falcosoft,

Thanks for reporting the problem. Could you provide a p-states listing please?
cpuspd pa
And also,
cpuspd d p

On my Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 with FX-4300, the boosted p-states are working as expected:

IMG_20240325_213234.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240325_213234.jpg
File size
971.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here there are 2 boosted p-states, b0 & b1 (b indicates boost state). Current p-state is 0* (* indicates the current p-state), and the BIOS had set it up in the 3rd p-state register (MSRC001_0066, with MSRC001_0064 & 65 being the boosted p-states). Changing current p-state with cpuspd pm10040f changed P0 correctly, as shown in the screenshot below:

IMG_20240325_213639.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240325_213639.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The only issue is the frequency is not linked correctly to TSC, I'm not sure why this is so. AMD's doc said it uses "software p-state" (31116 Rev 3.62 - January 11, 2013, p. 419), and in this case software p-state is 0 (P0), which is MSRC001_0066.

IMG_20240325_215602.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240325_215602.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
cpuspd4.png
Filename
cpuspd4.png
File size
16.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Btw there is a new command which I'd forgotten to include in the program's help and also the readme.txt. I thought it was released in the previous version but obviously I'd mistaken. With it you can change the value of any p-state:
pe[sffddvv]
where s is the p-state to modify, ffddvv is the fid, did, vid as usual. For example, to change p-state 2 to 10040f:
cpuspd pe210040f
Note that the p-state number here is the "software p-state" (per AMD doc) and not the "hardware p-state" (which is per the MSR). At the moment the program doesn't allow you to change the boost states, this is because the cpu doesn't allow a transition to a boost state under software control.