VOGONS

First post, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought PC2386 in a good shape, with keyboard and mouse, for I price I could not resist 😀 The keyboard was said not working, but I took my chances... and yes, the keyboard doesn't work.
I know Amstrad used some special keyboard protocol in the past. But I assumed that was just the funny 7pin connector thing used on XT class machines.
I originally tried to use regular AT keyboard with this PC2386, but I realized although both connectors are 5pin, the Amstrad one is different, it uses the so-called 270 degree DIN5, compared to regular 180 degree DIN5 used on AT. I then recalled I got a keyboard with this machine, but I tried it and it doesn't work - the computer just beeps. It's a different sort of beeps than without a keyboard, but still... There's also another strange thing about this keyboard. The DIN5 connector has a cable attached in right angle, and when the connector is plugged into the machine, the cable leads sort of downward, and the PC is partially sitting on the cable. Also, the keyboard doesn't say anything about model type, it just says AMSTRAD. Type label mentions 7220000824.

Long story short - I believe this is not the right keyboard for the machine, although it was sold with it.

Questions - what is the keyboard for? And what keyboard do I need for PC2386?

Any help, suggestions or links (or working keyboard offers) are appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• ams3.jpg
    Filename
    ams3.jpg
    File size
    22.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • ams2.jpg
    Filename
    ams2.jpg
    File size
    18.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • ams1.jpg
    Filename
    ams1.jpg
    File size
    163.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I think Amstrad loved cross-model incompatibility as much as Compaq!

As I recall the keyboard of my PC2386 (I was an early adopter) was clearly marked, both on the top decal and on the underside label, as 'PC2386'. Sadly I can't recall the DIN layout, but a quick search by keyboard model shows mine might have been 7220000503 whereas yours is 7220000824. Problem with that is I'm seeing the latter with a standard 5-pin DIN as well as what you've got???

Here's just a couple of links I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_evDCMoxnNA
https://oldcrap.org/2019/06/27/amstrad-2386-keyboard/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/set … 57660046906073/

Reply 2 of 4, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

Actually, I found those links myself already.

The mystery continues, because after taking the keyboard apart (mostly to clean it), it revealed the controller PCB is MK0006A - that corresponds to that PC2386 keyboard mentioned in the second of your links. The controller is exactly the same, just the manufacturing date is different - but the other numbers on the controller, which I assume is mask ROM identification, is the same on my keyboard and that PC2386 keyboard.

The only difference I could see between my PCB and the one from PC2386 keyboard is that light blue component just above the controller - it's not present on the PC2386 keyboard and it's replaced by a wire. I am guessing that might be some sort of fuse that's blown off. I'll do some testing later and will report back.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 4, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought one of these machines on local flea market but without keyboard. I am thinking why nobody made some converter using for example arduino like for AT keybord to XT? Is it so complicated? I will do AT to XT converter soon based on some project from internet for my XT. Maybe, if we know signals which are sent for each key, it would be just a matter to do some changes in AT to XT project to made it working with Amstrad? I can build some projects form internet but I am not so good to create it on my own.