VOGONS

First post, by MrGlasspoole

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this list:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/kirben/3dsoftware.html

Looking on games with only A3D (no EAX): Is the list almost complete?
And are there games where A3D is better than EAX?

Then when it comes to EMBM there is this list:
Re: games that use EMBM

But the Wiki has only 4?
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … th_EMBM_support

From reading around it seems like the best match to a Matrox G400 Max would be a P III ~1GHz.
The thing is that i already have two P III machines (1 GHz III Slot 1 + Voodoo3 3000 and 1.4GHz Tualatin + Voodoo5 5500).

What i don't have is a Pentium II. Would a PII 450 be enough for all the A3D and EMBM games?

Reply 1 of 9, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A3D was used in a lot of games. A3D 1.0 is not bad, but A3D 2.0 can be really impressive even today. However, it can be quite expensive on CPU cycles. Make sure to get a Vortex 2 card and not a Vortex 1.

I've never messed with EMBM, but apparently it was a Matrox G400 series thing, CPU doesn't really affect things here, as I suspect the G400 Max will be GPU limited at all times with that feature enabled. I can't remember if other cards ever supported EMBM, how they supported it and if it broke compatibility with most games ( I think it did!). It certainly looks nice on Expendable. Probably not worth the performance hit though. Very few games supported Matrox's EMBM feature btw.

As far as performance goes, it really depends on what you mean enough, if you don't care all that much about performance, sure a PII 450 will be fine for most games. If you want great performance, you'd best look into a PIII 1GHz or Athlon system from that era. If you want 60 fps at all times, with that G400 Max and EMBM enabled... You can safely forget about it as the GPU does not have the horsepower 😜.

Reply 2 of 9, by MrGlasspoole

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the games are made for EMBM that back then only the G400 Max had but they struggle?

I did check what the requirements for the games are that are here in the Wiki.
It goes from Pentium 200 to Pentium II 450 and Matrox Mystique 220 to Matrox G200.

But i wonder 3 of them are DX 6.1, 7.0, 8.0a.
The G400 Max is only 6.0 - right?
How does it come they are made with EMBM/G400 Max in mind but have higher DX versions?

Reply 3 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EMBM isn't exactly Matrox feature, they were first to license it from BitBoys Oy. Original Radeon and GeForce 3 can render EMBM just as fine and much faster.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrGlasspoole wrote on 2020-06-03, 17:02:

And are there games where A3D is better than EAX?

I can name at least three: Thief Gold, Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex. There are probably more.

Positional audio is much more precise on A3D (even 1.0) than on EAX, especially when using headphones. Running the aforementioned games on A3D feels like having a wall hack, you can tell exactly where the enemy is, just by sound. That's simply not the case when using EAX.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 9, by MrGlasspoole

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For working EMBM i did read you need hacks/patchs if its not a Matrox?
If it works without problems on other cards then there is no reason for the Matrox?

My Windows 98 DirecX gaming PC is a Pentium 4 HT 3.2 + Radeon X800 XT PE.
But it has a Audigy 2 ZS...
Will a Vortex and a Audigy work together in the same PC?

I also consider moving the Radeon X800 to a Athlon64 4000+
I guess the Pentium 4 HT 3.2 is holding back the Radeon.
But then the P4 is gone 🙁

Would be nice to have a Pentium from every generation. But i don't see any use for a Pentium II

Reply 7 of 9, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for bumping.
Wanted to ask :
is there more Matrox G400 (EMBM) games that requires exactly this hardware only ? Like Expandable? only can run on Matrox g400

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 8 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I said before, EMBM is not unique Matrox feature, so AFAIK none of the games require it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2020-11-30, 23:07:

Sorry for bumping.
Wanted to ask :
is there more Matrox G400 (EMBM) games that requires exactly this hardware only ? Like Expandable? only can run on Matrox g400

no, there is a patch that fixes that for other cards.
http://redtux.rocik.net/projects/expendable

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines