VOGONS

Sd to ide windows 98 problem

Topic actions

First post, by Czapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I have Pentium 266mhz MMX computer with 1gb hard drive and 64 mb ram. i decided to upgrade to bigger drive with sd to ide adapter. I cloned the 1gb drive into 2 gb sd card and everything was working like a charm. However i faced some problemes when i want to update drivers, i was getting windows protection errors. I thought that there is problem with windows so i was trying to do fresh installation. After copying files during initial startup windows progrction error popped. I did like 5+ installations and always after coping windows files the computer hangs in random spots. Sometimes i was able to go to driver instalation part and then it freezes or after reboot. Once after drivers instalation and reboot i got to the graphics card removal test. I don't know why it was trying to test safe removal of the card, mayby it suggests graphics card problem?
I removed network card, cleaned ram banks.
For now i'm running out of ideas what is causing this windows protection errors. I dont want to mess with oryginal HD as it was working ok and also this system was working ok on sd card unless i was trying to update drivers (no matter if sound card or graphics).
Any ideas? I don't know if there is hardware or software problem. Please help.

Reply 2 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remote troubleshooting is always a tiresome guessing game especially with more modern solutions like IDE-SD adaptors in the mix and only vague descriptions of hardware.
Could you please list your exact setup?

I know the following does not answer your question but it is an alternative suggestion that may save you a lot of trouble: Use a CF card or an SSD instead of the IDE-SD adaptor.
CF has a native IDE interface and offerse better compatibility. SSDs are designed as HDD replacements and since the SATA protocol is closely related to IDE a converter is much simpler and less likely to cause issues and incompatibilities.

Reply 3 of 20, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a similar setup working flawlessly.
Which SD->IDE adapter are you using?
Did you also try another SD-Card?
Maybe installing (without cloning) to the SD card does the trick?

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 4 of 20, by Czapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This sd adapter:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sd+ide&client … =HiLrWYsIaOUXlM
I used different sd card without any luck. I'm trying to do fresh install...
My setup:
Pentium mmx 233 MHz
64 ram
Virge dx graphics card pci
Ess 1688 isa sound card
Network card pci
Usb ports connected to board
NEC CD ROM
Ali pc chips m560 motherboard

Reply 5 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for posting your setup. Please also tell us your motherboard model (and ideally BIOS version). Has been added.
In your initial post you stated you were using a Pentium MMX 266. Now you list a Pentium MMX 233. Did you overclock or is this just a typo?
Edit: Since your MoBo supports 75MHz FSB and 3,5*75=262,5 This is my first suspicion. 😉

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2020-06-04, 09:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 20, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This adapter one looks identical to mine.
I think it's the same Phil used a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWYS5X1wSzU

Did you try another IDE cable and connect it to its own socket to the mainboard (to avoid master/slave configurations on the sd adapter)?

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 7 of 20, by Czapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes,sorry cpu is overclocked by jumpers from 166 MHz to 233 MHz. I received this computer from a guy which done this overclocking and also did general cleaning of the copmuter. He also installed windows on the orginal HD.
I was trying two ide cables. Adapter was connect to single socket as master

Last edited by Czapa on 2020-06-04, 10:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, with data corruption and random freezes an unstable overclock is prime suspect.
Not all MMX 166 oc to 233MHz. Try a fresh install at stock speeds. If this fixes it you found the problem.
Edit: You can also try 2.9V core if you haven't already and see wether this makes the overclock run stable.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2020-06-04, 10:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 20, by Czapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-06-04, 09:58:

Well, with data corruption and random freezes an unstable overclock is prime suspect.
Not all MMX 166 oc to 233MHz. Try a fresh install at stock speeds. If this fixes it you found the problem.
Edit: You can also try 2.9V core if you haven't already and see wether this makes the overclock run stable.

How to change core to 2.9v?
As i wrote that this guy did this mods i'm having difficulties to find jumpers to change it to stock speed..

Reply 12 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't read about the mods before and I can see the post has been edited. If you edit posts after new ones appear, people probably won't notice the changes. It's probably best for clarity to avoid changing posts during a troubleshooting process. I didn't stick to this as well itt but let's start doing so now. 😉

Anyway, I can not say what mods have been made to this board so I'm hesitant to make suggestions.
The manual with jumper settings can be found here but I don#t know what may have been invalisted by the mods.
If you post good closeup images of the modifications we can maybe understand what has been modded and how this changes the board's behaviour.

Reply 15 of 20, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something to watch out for when using SD to IDE adaptors is that the computers BIOS will sometimes "auto detect" or see the wrong settings for your SD card, and then the SD card will seem to work for a short time but you will start having problems, losing files and getting corrupted data, a lot of the SD to IDE adaptors will "fake" what it shows to the BIOS to keep compatibility with older systems.

You need to see the "real" cylinders, heads, and sectors information for your SD card, to do that I use use GParted on my Linux desktop, I then use that information to set the retro-computers BIOS with, BTW if the SD card was formatted in the retro-computer with the bad BIOS information it will have to be re-formatted or you will start having problems with it.

Reply 16 of 20, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My VIA c3 rig works fine with a 32gb Class 10 sd card.

Czapa wrote on 2020-06-04, 09:24:

Ali pc chips m560 motherboard

Being a PCChips Mobo be ready to face problems.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 18 of 20, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Czapa wrote on 2020-06-05, 13:13:

I tried to install windows with 166 MHz clock and what a result - everything is working fine. It seems that oc was causing all the problems.
I'm so happy. Thank you for all your help,especially @Doornkaat

My two cents :
As a general rule of thumb, you should not overclock during system setup/installation .
Once system is working well, a backup should be made and you can then try overclocking and running necessary stability tests . This avoids adding unnecessary variables to debugging process if something does go wrong during setup/installation .

Reply 19 of 20, by Czapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are right however i received this computer from a guy who installed system and did this oc. Everything was fine, i was using it for about 3 weeks. Problems started when i was trying to update drivers.
I'm going to stick with standard 166 MHz.

Last edited by Czapa on 2020-06-05, 14:01. Edited 1 time in total.