VOGONS

First post, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, my Gigabyte GA-7ZX motherboard (rev. 1.01) came without ISA slot, but it has an optional ISA upgrade. Does anyone know if any company still provides ISA connectors to buy? Because I would really like to make my Sound Blaster Pro 2 useful 😒

Thank you

Reply 1 of 4, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you read it in a manual? Because there is often a word "optional" which indicates you could buy a model of this board with or without ISA connector, not that you could order it and instal it yourself. I've checked a picture of the board and it is probably posible to install it yourself. You should be able to use any ISA connector as they were standardized, just make sure the pins on the bottom line up correctly. If you ask me, it's not worth the trouble. You could buy a new board for relatively cheap and without any hassle with soldering.

Reply 2 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It does seem only connector is missing and not all the other required passives. Seek "2.54mm card edge connector" on ebay, there will be ISA compatible connectors in the results.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have recently performed an ISA slot upgrade on my two GA-7VX motherboards as well. It works with no issues.
It appears there's a full featured retail version of the board as well as an OEM version that lacks the dual BIOS feature (luckily) as well as the onboard Creative chip and ISA connector.
Looking at pictures online it seems to be the same with your board: No Creative chip, single socketed BIOS chip and no ISA connector but the required SMDs seem to be present in those pics. This makes me very optimistic for your endeavour. 👍
I could offer to unsolder a connector from a donor board and send it to you for shipping cost - but I guess the cheapest untracked shipping option (~5€) will be more expensive than ordering a few from China. 😉
MODS please let me know if offering free stuff for shipping cost is not ok so I know not to make similar offers in the future. 👍

GA-7VX ISA mod.jpg
Filename
GA-7VX ISA mod.jpg
File size
211.43 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
GA-7VX ISA mod 2.jpg
Filename
GA-7VX ISA mod 2.jpg
File size
364.22 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 4 of 4, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, apparently REV. 1.00 has it already installed onboard, mine is REV 1.01 with just an optional ISA (probably same thing with REV. 5.1) 😀 . Seller stated in the title that it has an ISA slot, even on the provided pictures, that what confused me a bit when I got it. But all in all, I didn't want to give him the hard time, 'cause otherwise the board is in the perfect state, think I've never received a used item so well preserved & packed with fast delivery. But it surely gives me a bit of hope. So, thank you all 😀