VOGONS

New retro computers

Topic actions

First post, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a couple new retro computers recently.
One is a Pentium 200. It works well, better than my Pentium 166, though I havent gotten the 5.25 in floppy drive working yet, and I have an old 200mhz MMX CPU tp put in it as its faster than the current CPU, but the MMX cpu needs a fan and I dont have one yet.

I also got a 486, which I havent had much time to look at yet but it works well, I just need a sound card for it.

THis is the P200 before I added the 5.25 inch floppy drive. I also put a soundblaster 5.1 in it.

3GyUdV5.jpg

This is the 486 and I will remove one of the cd roms drives and add my other 5.25 inch floppy and I need a soundcard for it as well

Rsf6Smy.jpg

I also recently got this nice copy of leisure suit larry so ill have to play it on these computers.

jSi10eT.jpg

Reply 1 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to fix the autoexec.bat and config.sys files because whenever I add the CDrom , , the computer gives me out of memory errors when I try to run some games.

Reply 3 of 34, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Give use a screen shot of the s autoexec.bat and config.sys files so we can se whats going on with it. What Dos versoin does it have on it?

Very nice score btw.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:36:

Give use a screen shot of the s autoexec.bat and config.sys files so we can se whats going on with it. What Dos versoin does it have on it?

Very nice score btw.

Good Question, I will get the pictures and post them a bit later today. I think its DOS 7 through windows 98.

Reply 5 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:34:

Those are some nice acquisitions. Congrats!

There is dedicated thread for posting these kinds of things though, rather than stating a new thread: Bought these (retro) hardware today

I wasnt sure if I should post it in there or not. Sorry. I didnt want to get it cluttered, as I knew I was going to ask about the autoexec and config files and didnt want to take up too much of that thread.

Reply 8 of 34, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2020-06-10, 19:52:

There is dedicated thread for posting these kinds of things though, rather than stating a new thread: Bought these (retro) hardware today

I wasnt sure if I should post it in there or not. Sorry. I didnt want to get it cluttered, as I knew I was going to ask about the autoexec and config files and didnt want to take up too much of that thread.

Sorry. Didn't see your question re. config.sys and autoexec.bat. 😀

So, the problem is on the P200 machine right, running Windows 98? Are you trying to run the games from Windows or directly from DOS? I assume these are older DOS games only using conventional memory (up to 640kb).

In the config.sys file, can you change the line:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

To:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE /NOEMS

And at the end of config.sys add:

DOS=HIGH,UMB

Also, with these changes you could also try to boot directly into DOS by pressing F8 while rebooting the machine. Do this a couple of times AFTER the initial boot screen (where it counts the memory). You should then get a menu where you can skip booting Windows and boot directly into DOS by choosing option 5.

Reply 9 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-06-10, 21:48:
Sorry. Didn't see your question re. config.sys and autoexec.bat. :) […]
Show full quote

So, the problem is on the P200 machine right, running Windows 98? Are you trying to run the games from Windows or directly from DOS? I assume these are older DOS games only using conventional memory (up to 640kb).

To:

DOS=HIGH,UMB

Also, with these changes you could also try to boot directly into DOS by pressing F8 while rebooting the machine. Do this a couple of times AFTER the initial boot screen (where it counts the memory). You should then get a menu where you can skip booting Windows and boot directly into DOS by choosing option 5.

Thanks, Ill try out these suggestions right now.

as for the questions. I am trying to run most games under DOS. Some games, after adding the lines to have my cdrom work, dont run anymore because of memory errors. ALso, I tried running the Dark Forces launcher in windows and it wouldnt run because of memory issues as well....

So I just did as suggested. I booted straight into DOS, and ran alone in the dark. Getting some odd audio glitches at the moment. I need to test other games to see if they run

Reply 10 of 34, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2020-06-11, 01:26:
Thanks, Ill try out these suggestions right now. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

To:

DOS=HIGH,UMB

as for the questions. I am trying to run most games under DOS. Some games, after adding the lines to have my cdrom work, dont run anymore because of memory errors. ALso, I tried running the Dark Forces launcher in windows and it wouldnt run because of memory issues as well....

So I just did as suggested. I booted straight into DOS, and ran alone in the dark. Getting some odd audio glitches at the moment. I need to test other games to see if they run

Sounds like progress? If you have errors, can you let us know what the exact error is? Taking a photo is probably easiest... 😀

Reply 11 of 34, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why do you have mouse drivers in both config.sys and autoexec.bat? You should be able to get rid of one of them (whatever uses the most memory) and load the other high.
Re: the LIVEDOS line - does that mean you're using a PCI sound card? You could be in for a world of pain and may want to see if you have ISA slots.
If you run mem /c /p does it show what is taking up conventional memory?

Reply 12 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-06-12, 04:03:

Why do you have mouse drivers in both config.sys and autoexec.bat? You should be able to get rid of one of them (whatever uses the most memory) and load the other high.
Re: the LIVEDOS line - does that mean you're using a PCI sound card? You could be in for a world of pain and may want to see if you have ISA slots.
If you run mem /c /p does it show what is taking up conventional memory?

THanks for the replies. I will look into this. But yes im using a PCI sound card. a soundblaster live 5.1

I didnt realize I had the mouse driver twice.... oops

also I heard the oakcdrom driver takes up a lot of memory and using a different one would be better

Also, can I get dos to use my usb ports?

Reply 13 of 34, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2020-06-15, 21:14:
THanks for the replies. I will look into this. But yes im using a PCI sound card. a soundblaster live 5.1 […]
Show full quote

THanks for the replies. I will look into this. But yes im using a PCI sound card. a soundblaster live 5.1

also I heard the oakcdrom driver takes up a lot of memory and using a different one would be better

The FreeDOS project is a good resource for DOS drivers that use less memory. For example they package CuteMouse (CTMOUSE) and XCDROM instead of oakcdrom.
However, if you followed, hopefully you went back to your config.sys and autoexec.bat and changed all DEVICE= lines to DEVICEHIGH= (except for himem and emm386) and put LH in front of any TSRs you're loading in autoexec.bat
If that's the case, then unless you're out of upper memory, it isn't a factor that oakcdrom uses more memory than xcdrom.

Can you run mem /c /p and look at the "Conventional" column and list what's using conventional memory and the amount. That will help everyone answer any questions to free up enough conventional memory to get your games to run.

For USB you have to remember that DOS was long gone before USB caught on. You're going to have to ask that question specifically for what you want to attach by USB.

Reply 14 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-06-15, 21:19:
The FreeDOS project is a good resource for DOS drivers that use less memory. For example they package CuteMouse (CTMOUSE) and XC […]
Show full quote
Law212 wrote on 2020-06-15, 21:14:
THanks for the replies. I will look into this. But yes im using a PCI sound card. a soundblaster live 5.1 […]
Show full quote

The FreeDOS project is a good resource for DOS drivers that use less memory. For example they package CuteMouse (CTMOUSE) and XCDROM instead of oakcdrom.
However, if you followed, hopefully you went back to your config.sys and autoexec.bat and changed all DEVICE= lines to DEVICEHIGH= (except for himem and emm386) and put LH in front of any TSRs you're loading in autoexec.bat
If that's the case, then unless you're out of upper memory, it isn't a factor that oakcdrom uses more memory than xcdrom.

Can you run mem /c /p and look at the "Conventional" column and list what's using conventional memory and the amount. That will help everyone answer any questions to free up enough conventional memory to get your games to run.

For USB you have to remember that DOS was long gone before USB caught on. You're going to have to ask that question specifically for what you want to attach by USB.

This is good info. I will run that command soon. I am currently installing some new retro games I picked up today.
this computer had windows 95 when I got it, and it seems that the usb gamepad I had worked in dos but not anymore. THough I did take pictures of the autoexec and config sys so I can look back and see what the commands were.

I havent changed my sys files yet , ill do that tonight

Reply 15 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-06-11, 04:39:
Law212 wrote on 2020-06-11, 01:26:
Thanks, Ill try out these suggestions right now. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

To:

DOS=HIGH,UMB

Sounds like progress? If you have errors, can you let us know what the exact error is? Taking a photo is probably easiest... 😀

As for the sound errors, it just sounded like random FX would play randomly. I wasnt having this issue when I would exit to dos and run the game. I will let you know what else I find as im on the computer now messing around with it

Reply 16 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are the pics of running the mem command

ekb3OtA.jpg

WQS33gg.jpgv

Looks like more than enough memory... I had a couple games tell me that I needed at least 575,000 or something like that and wouldnt run. Ill need to check my sys files again to see if I changed them and dont remember

Reply 18 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-06-16, 04:17:

Looks like you just need to get the mouse driver loaded high and then you'll have plenty of conv. memory

So, I removed the mouse driver from the wrong spot, but I just initialized it in DOS. THings are working very well. I have been playing Space quest 4 and 5, and now playing some Waynes World. Never knew this game existed. Seems though I need to set Music to Roland , and Sounds to soundblaster. Working super nice right now though. Im having a blast. Thanks for all the help from all of you. Im sure ill need more help when I get around to messing with the 486 ...

Reply 19 of 34, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That tower case must be one of the most common generic AT cases making it all the way around the world.
For me it was an Australian High School's 486/33's with "Beam" branding.
Who could of guessed that back then that these unloved cases would have the "magical 3" retro items Mhz Display, Turbo, Keyboard lock