VOGONS

New retro computers

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heres another question. When I installed and try to run X-wing. it says that I dont have enough XMS memory and so speech and digitized sounds will be turned off. It says I have no XMS .

Vz7nm5G.jpg

8hTUysZ.jpg

Reply 25 of 34, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Before doing memmaker that, you could try to adding RAM i=B000-B7FF to the device=emm386.exe command in config.sys (those are zeros, not Os). If you are not running games running monochrome(MDA/ Hercules) graphics, that will cause no issues .

Reply 26 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-16, 20:36:

Before doing memmaker that, you could try to adding RAM i=B000-B7FF to the device=emm386.exe command in config.sys (those are zeros, not Os). If you are not running games running monochrome(MDA/ Hercules) graphics, that will cause no issues .

This worked. Though now Xwing just freezes in the intro....
ugh always an issue. Im also having an issue getting the 5.25 floppy drive working, and my voodoo 3
Why cant things just work?

Reply 27 of 34, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Law212 wrote on 2020-06-19, 14:43:
This worked. Though now Xwing just freezes in the intro.... ugh always an issue. Im also having an issue getting the 5.25 floppy […]
Show full quote

ugh always an issue. Im also having an issue getting the 5.25 floppy drive working, and my voodoo 3

Are you still testing without sound enabled ? If you enabled sound in X-Wing and it crashed, try running with sound disabled . If it works, you may have sound card mis-configuration (DMA or IRQ conflict?) . If you are already running without sound or the problem persists without sound, the issue obviously lies elsewhere .

EDIT: Even if you are running without sound, I would try disabling SBEINIT.EXE in autoexec.bat , just in case there is a weird software conflict there .
EDIT2: Don't take it personally, as this needs to be asked . Is your copy of X-Wing from original floppy/CD media or a legitimate online store like GOG or Steam? Please specify which as this can be significant in debugging. The other reason I ask is because illegitimately sourced copies can have problems of their own which no one here would want to debug and I am not even going into the legal aspect of it .

Reply 28 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-19, 17:20:
Are you still testing without sound enabled ? If you enabled sound in X-Wing and it crashed, try running with sound disabled . I […]
Show full quote
Law212 wrote on 2020-06-19, 14:43:
This worked. Though now Xwing just freezes in the intro.... ugh always an issue. Im also having an issue getting the 5.25 floppy […]
Show full quote

Are you still testing without sound enabled ? If you enabled sound in X-Wing and it crashed, try running with sound disabled . If it works, you may have sound card mis-configuration (DMA or IRQ conflict?) . If you are already running without sound or the problem persists without sound, the issue obviously lies elsewhere .

EDIT: Even if you are running without sound, I would try disabling SBEINIT.EXE in autoexec.bat , just in case there is a weird software conflict there .
EDIT2: Don't take it personally, as this needs to be asked . Is your copy of X-Wing from original floppy/CD media or a legitimate online store like GOG or Steam? Please specify which as this can be significant in debugging. The other reason I ask is because illegitimately sourced copies can have problems of their own which no one here would want to debug and I am not even going into the legal aspect of it .

I was playing it with sound on. I didnt try with it off yet. I havent had much time this week to mess around with it.
My copy of Xwing is an original boxed retail version. All games I play on my old hardware is. Its the floppy disk version.

I got the USB port working again, it was a setting in the bios. So that was good to take care of, though I had another issue lately where the floppy drive no longer works. I will try to solve that issue and install the 5.25 floppy as well . I dont know why this is such a headache.

I took a break ffrom the issues and just played some Xmen children of the atom and Quake on it. Ill look at solving more issues this weekend.
Also im wondering if I should install my voodoo 3 2000 on this computer. What do you guys think?

Reply 31 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was a thread on this forum I saw before but cant find it now, talking about freedos. I know someone linked to the file above , but there was a whole thread on it that was very informative and I cant find it now. Can someone link to it?

Reply 32 of 34, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience, the floppy version of X-Wing is speed sensitive and will outright fail to produce sound on certain cards with a fast CPU. Try turning off both caches in BIOS before running the game and see if that helps.

EDIT - just noticed that you appear to be using a SBLive. I don't think its DOS driver can handle turning the caches off. You should get an ISA sound card for that build if you primarily want to play DOS games.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 33 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-31, 03:57:

From my experience, the floppy version of X-Wing is speed sensitive and will outright fail to produce sound on certain cards with a fast CPU. Try turning off both caches in BIOS before running the game and see if that helps.

EDIT - just noticed that you appear to be using a SBLive. I don't think its DOS driver can handle turning the caches off. You should get an ISA sound card for that build if you primarily want to play DOS games.

I had the sound working fine with speech at some point. Im sure ill get it working properly again. at this point i need to set up my config and autoexec properly as none of my dos stuff works right at the moment

Reply 34 of 34, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So ive been messing with this Pentium again. I got the 5.25 drive working again.
I installed that MS DOS starter stuff but I also installed a voodoo 3 , and now when I restart into MS DOS , the screen goes blank and the monitor shuts off.