VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I've bought an horizontal case for my 386 mainboard 1992 AT size. The case is really slim with a ISA riser card with connectors on both side and a total of four ISA cards to install. The owner told me it is supported by any mainboards with ISA connectors (do you confirm?) and anyway it unfortunaly lacks the metal frame/chassis for the 3,5" floppy drive or eventually the hard disk usually found near the left of the 5.25" drives slots. Beside using some 3,5" to 5,25" adapter are those things "standard" metal chassis to install on the left side of the 5,25" one a common 3,5" drive in its own slot without using the bigger ones?

Thanks

Last edited by 386SX on 2020-06-14, 21:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-06-14, 16:25:

I'm not quite sure what you are asking?

also hard to tell anything without seeing the case.

When I'll receive it I'll make the photo. Basically the case lacks the metal frame that is fixed to the case metal itself for the floppy drive to be inserted and fixed. I don't know how to name it the part of the horizontal cases where usually the floppy drive is installed and fixed with screws usually was on the left of the equivalent CD drives chassis but in this case the floppy front hole has the original covering plastic mask on the case covering it but behind there's not metal chassis at all to put eventually a drive into it. I'll have to use a 5.25 to 3,5" adapter to use a floppy drive but it's already a slim case and only have two of those 5,25" slots to use.

Reply 3 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Riser should work on any mobo if it is fitted to a standard isa slot. I had an Olivetti 486 in slime line case with similar set up. Because that mobo had vlb support I pulled it from the slim line chassis.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 13, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you asking if the metal shroud (used to hold the 3.5" drives) is a standard form factor for AT cases ?

If so, the answer is that it depends on the case manufacturer.

If you need one of those cages, just borrow one from any AT case and bolt it to your case with some screws and nuts (may need to drill some new holes), it should do the job.

Last edited by computerguy08 on 2020-06-14, 21:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-14, 21:32:

Riser should work on any mobo if it is fitted to a standard isa slot. I had an Olivetti 486 in slime line case with similar set up. Because that mobo had vlb support I pulled it from the slim line chassis.

Thanks, I had in the past too some slim case and never knew if those riser cards were standard or not. But at the end for such old system (386, 286..) I prefer these cases and the only cheap I found is a really slim one but still seems enough large horizontally to have the PSU not covering the mainboard being installed on the right of the mainboard (and not has happens sometimes on the top of it). The only problem I'm sure will be how to fix the mobo (metal distancers or plastic or none may be the needed, I hate those old cases with each their own different mainboard holes) and the floppy problem. The internal separated chassis for the floppy drive it's not included (or maybe even it was not at first considering there's the original floppy cover mask in the front installed) but I've been told they were standard chassis for horizontal cases of such sizes. I'll see next week when I'll have it here.

Last edited by 386SX on 2020-06-14, 21:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-06-14, 21:49:

Are you asking if the metal shroud (used to hold the 3.5" drives) is a standard form factor for AT cases ?

If so, the answer is that it depends on the case manufacturer.

If you need one of those cages, just borrow one from any AT case and bolt it to your case with some screws and nuts (may need to drill some new holes), it should do the job.

Yes but I imagine there were all the type of AT cases and possibly I should find one for those slim type (two ISA cards at most of height). I'm already imagining how to build such frame if I'll not find one. I got this case cheap so I'll take the risk of needing some modding, also the hard disk without that frame I'm thinking where it should be fixed in the case..

Reply 7 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386SX wrote on 2020-06-14, 21:50:

Thanks, I had in the past too some slim case and never knew if those riser cards were standard or not. But at the end for such old system (386, 286..) I prefer these cases and the only cheap I found is a really slim one but still seems enough large horizontally to have the PSU not covering the mainboard being installed on the right of the mainboard (and not has happens sometimes on the top of it). The only problem I'm sure will be how to fix the mobo (metal distancers or plastic or none may be the needed, I hate those old cases with each their own different mainboard holes) and the floppy problem. The internal separated chassis for the floppy drive it's not included (or maybe even it was not at first considering there's the original floppy cover mask in the front installed) but I've been told they were standard chassis for horizontal cases of such sizes. I'll see next week when I'll have it here.

Some risers were of proprietary design with out the slot in the contact edge.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-14, 22:03:

Yes indeed ! I have one board that uses a special dual sided insert and then the riser, with a ISA style slot on bottom, fits over it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 13, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If using a strange riser card might want to take a volt/ohm meter and make sure the riser pins go to the correct places on the motherboard, you will likely have to find a PDF for the chipset chip on the motherboard, chipset PDF files often have the chipset pinouts, you will also need a ISA and PCI pinout depending on the slot you are testing, also you need to check to make sure the power and grounds are correct for the PCI or ISA slot.

Reply 10 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-14, 22:03:
386SX wrote on 2020-06-14, 21:50:

Any images of those different riser cards? Let's hope it's not the one I'll get. I've seen on a side there're two 8 bit ISA and I think/hope on the other side two 16 bit ones, but I've not seen any components on it, just the isa connector below with every contacts on the connector.
Edit: I think I've seen one, you mean without the slot key as usual with every ISA cards? Mine sure has the key hole at the usual height like every ISA 16bit cards. 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a big problem with ex-corporate machines hitting the second-hand market minus drive caddies/cages. The drives are easily replaced but those usually aren't. The OP's machine sounds like my Premiere/PCI LX, which is pretty well useless until I can find a replacement drive cage.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 13, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll have to take some scrap steel plate and cut and bend it to form the drive mounts my HP Vectra 486 uses, since they don't exist anywhere on the Internet, even on dead PC part/reseller sites that haven't been updated since 1998, but are still online because the server costs and domain registration are permanently in a couple rows of some company's phonebook-sized budget. This will be all the more fun because I don't have any metalworking tools, nor do I want to buy any for such a minor need.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 13 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I'll use the frame of a usual cheap ATX case and cut it at the size I'll need. I've seen those one can be detached from a case from the bottom part and from the 5,25" bigger drive frame, sometimes with screws other times it's more difficult, but if I get to put this vertical "tower" inside the slim case, hoping that one 3,5" drive position is on the same height of the only one needed, I could cut the higher part of it and fix it inside. Fortunately at least the original 5.25" frame is there.
I'm more worried about the mainboard distancer.. some case of those years had strange holes positions on the metal and needed their own plastic distancers when I'd prefer having the usual metal ones as later ATX cases. Nowdays to find the exact plastic distancer doesn't seem that easy and maybe not even having the right holes position, who know which mainboard this case had inside..I think I'll have to make some new holes too and maybe in the metal of the case if that'll be the situation.