VOGONS

First post, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have a FIC ELI6-II motherboard that came with DX2-66 with glued heatsink. Swapped in a DX4ODPR100 (has built in regulator and glued heatsink) and it works fine but runs very hot, way hotter than the original Dx2. Any one ever mount a fan to one of these ODPR cpu ? I checked the voltages and it is getting 4.93v which is in spec for 5v supply.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1 of 5, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah those overdrive cpus get very hot from my own experience, the heatsink is pretty small.
Maybe for word-processing it is ok but I find that playing a highly demanding game like duke3d those over drives get too hot to touch.

I would attach a fan, I never kept one in my system long term so didn't attach a fan. But my 5x86 133 cpu I have a heatsink about 3 times bigger then the overdrive + a fan

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
treeman wrote on 2020-06-15, 04:30:

yeah those overdrive cpus get very hot from my own experience, the heatsink is pretty small.
Maybe for word-processing it is ok but I find that playing a highly demanding game like duke3d those over drives get too hot to touch.

I would attach a fan, I never kept one in my system long term so didn't attach a fan. But my 5x86 133 cpu I have a heatsink about 3 times bigger then the overdrive + a fan

Thanks ! Was hoping it was a common issue and not just my setup. Wish the board supported AMD's but appears not too. Found a 1.5"x1.5" by about 3/4" tall fan that covers the heatsink, and there is a fan header not far from the cpu so will "monkey" into position with zip ties until I can find some proper 8 or 10 x1.75" brass screws to secure it.
added: Yes a fan helped immensely ! included a pic of my frankenstein fan, will fix proper later this week. Thanks again !

Attachments

• IMG_1193s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1193s.jpg
    File size
    376.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This exactly what I ended up doing too with my ODPR 😁
Keeps it nice and frosty. Ready to game!

Sucks that the voltage regular chip thingy isn't connected to the heatsink though. It's under the raised section of the sink, it still got hot to the touch 🙁

Reply 5 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
treeman wrote on 2020-06-15, 05:00:

looks good! good job

Thanks, that was temporary. Got some brass screws and now is a semi-permanent fix.

SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-06-15, 06:16:

Sucks that the voltage regular chip thingy isn't connected to the heatsink though. It's under the raised section of the sink, it still got hot to the touch 🙁

True ! Not sure why Intel did not design the HS to include the V.reg . Did notice that air flow does blow down thru the heat sink and across the v.reg with the fan in place.

Finished it. Sure is not a big fix like soldering new caps but am happy that it should last a while with out issues. Thank you both for the input!

Attachments

• IMG_1197s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1197s.jpg
    File size
    128.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain