VOGONS

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had no luck booting my trusty Acronis 8 recovery CD on an Abit BH6 build. It's the 1.02 board version with final 'SS' bios. I've read similar CD boot reports online about trouble booting from CD with this board from years back. The typical reccommendations were to make sure the CDR was set to AUTO in bios, the CDR set as master on it's IDE channel, and of course the CDR first in the boot sequence. No luck in any configuration I've tried so far - even with the CDR as the *only* device connected. At POST it shows it's trying to 'Boot ATAPI-CD-ROM' but after 30s or so it times out. The CD boots off of other retro machines. I don't have another CDR handy to check if it's the drive - but it's working fine in every other respect.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 4, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which IDE header is it connected to? The manual says a below:

NOTE HPT 366 IDE controller is designed to support high-speed mass storage. Thus we don’t suggest you connect non-disk devices that use ATA/ATAPI interfaces, such as CD-ROM to HPT 366 IDE connector (IDE3&IDE4).

Oops, by mistake I was looking in the BP6 manual

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-06-17, 22:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-06-17, 19:26:

NOTE HPT 366 IDE controller is designed to support high-speed mass storage. Thus we don’t suggest you connect non-disk devices that use ATA/ATAPI interfaces, such as CD-ROM to HPT 366 IDE connector (IDE3&IDE4).

He's asking about a BH6, not a BE6, no highpoint controller on his board for that to be a concern.

Reply 4 of 4, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zPacKRat wrote on 2020-06-17, 22:04:
red-ray wrote on 2020-06-17, 19:26:

He's asking about a BH6, not a BE6, no highpoint controller on his board for that to be a concern.

I found a little floppy boot manager utility that you boot up and select what drive you want to boot off of. Problem is I don't have a spare blank floppy to try it out! Thought I had a box of fresh ones squirelled away but no...