VOGONS

First post, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an old laptop, Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 1546 which is kinda hot and i need to set fan to maximum to help overheat issues. It's a common thing for this model and people back then, the ancients 😀 made a script for horrible utility called Notebook Hardware Control. It fakes thermal diode data and laptop thinks that cpu is overheated and enables fan to maximum. Pretty clear if we check HWMonitor:

thermal.jpg
Filename
thermal.jpg
File size
72.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So I wonder maybe there is a more simple and strait forward tool to fool sensor data? NHC is and overkill here and very buggy and looks bad.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok... so looking at the cooler's design it doesn't look that bad.

Have you:
1. Replaced the thermal compound with something good such as Arctic Alumina. AS5 or IC Diamond will transfer a tiny bit better but AS5 is harder to clean up and IC Diamond is harder to apply.
--- You will probably want to replace the thermal pads as well unless by some miracle they don't rip when removing the cooler assembly. Even then, new ones would be a good idea.
2. Made sure that the heatsink fins are not clogged.
3. Verified that one of the heatpipes has not gone bad.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I maybe talking nonsense here, but how is the fan wired? Maybe the control pin (if it has one and the laptop isn't complaining when it doesn't read the rpm) can be removed so that it always runs at full speed

Reply 3 of 3, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ye I've tried without one wire, but no, it won't go to the max. Fan rpm is controlled via voltage, 2.2v for min spin, and 5v for max. Maybe I'll mod this in the future, but now I'm interested in a software way.

As for cooler design... it's not sufficient for this gpu. If you google for xi1546 overheat it will be all over the internet. A thermal diode is only in CPU so the system doesn't even know that GPU is overheating. but even with the fan on max, it can't deal with this super-hot GPU in some cases. But that will be in my next thread here, about this wonderful laptop, which could be a perfect retro machine if only this heat issue buzzed be.