VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm sure some here are familiar with that model, i have a couple of variants of different weights bought as NOS for use on old systems, but all have the same issue of seemingly random movement "twitches" that last roughly a second and seem to appear every 5 to 10 minutes, on average. the mice are clean and are used on a clean surface that does not give such issues with any other mouse. a software issue seems doubtful to me since it happens in both DOS (mouse.com) and win95 alike.

this first appeared like the typical cable wearout symptoms, but i'm not so sure about that anymore after testing several of those. are there any kind of known incompatibilites between older boards and optical PS/2 mice, by chance? the boards i've seen this on so far were all socket 7 with holtek controllers on them.

incidentally also have a logitech M100 that works perfectly fine on 1997 boards, but well, it's USB.

Reply 1 of 3, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC, there are a few old optical mice that require the use of a special mouse mat with a specific pattern on it.

But if you bought them NOS the mat should have been included...

Reply 2 of 3, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've used a HP PS/2 optical mouse (don't know the model) with machines as old as a late 1994 486 without any issues, myself. If my 386DX-33 box could be booted into something that uses a mouse I'd try it on that too.

Reply 3 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using these Logitech mice for my old systems - got several of them... Never had an issue with them...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website