VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While Ultima 6 uses a wide range of audio cards for music the sound effects are always PC Speaker. I can't think of any other VGA compatible games where PC Speaker isn't more than an option where you can select something better like Adlib or Roland.

So is this the most demanding game that requires PC Speaker? What kind of processing power is required to run this game smoothly with Roland MT32 Music and only an 8-bit VGA card?

Reply 1 of 7, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ild say no, anything 'realsound' is more boss for pc speaker stuff.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-06-24, 03:09:

Is RealSound actually just PC Speaker? It can't find any information on it and seems like it might've needed some sort of special cable or hardware?

Going by my Mean Streets (which supports RealSound) manual, the cable thing was an optional modification to get better sound than you could get by using the integrated and usually crappy PC speaker . It was in no way mandatory .

Reply 5 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-06-24, 02:02:

While Ultima 6 uses a wide range of audio cards for music the sound effects are always PC Speaker. I can't think of any other VGA compatible games where PC Speaker isn't more than an option where you can select something better like Adlib or Roland.

There's also Golden Axe - supports VGA, with Adlib/SB music, but no SB SFX, only PC Speaker tweaked into playing digitized sound.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 7 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote on 2020-06-24, 21:58:

Oh wow, I didn't know about the PC version of Golden Axe. It being more action orientated than Ultima 6 I bet it is probably more demanding on the video card/CPU.

Would hardly expect that. Ultima 6 was pushing the envelope on both fronts, with a big scrolling part of screen and a persistent world with lots of stuff going on. Pretty much any 386 could handle it, but most 286 struggled (which was pretty relevant back in 1990). Golden Axe is also a 1990 game and also runs well on any 386, they're probably pretty evenly matched.