VOGONS

First post, by JohnGrobler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Help needed - I'm trying to identify our first computer from a very bad photo. It was a turbo XT machine with a 20MB disk and 360k floppy drive, Hercules clone display card and was a small footprint case with slide-off lid. The LED panel was a darker grey at the bottom left.

Any assistance in identifying the case would be appreciated, if you have a similar case please do post a photo.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's gonna be hard, there were literally dozens of computer brand, not too mention noname computers, assembled by individual shops... And then you got the home grown PC...

The dark grey panel does remind me of commodore, but the round edges don't seem to fit commodore? Wild guess...

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 8, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hard to find, but we can still try 😀

Whereabouts did you live then? Europe, USA, elsewhere?

Is the black rectangle in the middle a drive (5.25" slot)? And another slot above it?

Is there anything to the right of those drives? Maybe a 3.5" slot on its side?

EDIT and you can browse through this thread: Show us your retro computer cases

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 8, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I can help identify the monitor, TRL (Taiwan Royal Limited).

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 5 of 8, by JohnGrobler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help so far! I've checked the linked forum but couldn't find a similar one on there. The photo is actually from a short bad quality home video clip.

This computer was bought 2nd hand in 1992 in South Africa from Spoornet (a South African rail transport company).

Yes, the black rectangle is the 20MB hard disk drive and above it is the 360k floppy drive. I'm pretty sure there's nothing to the right of it.

To the left is the grey LED panel with keyboard lock and at the top left is a logo I believe.

The closest that I was able to find locally to date is the Mitac Small Footprint XT, it had a similar size and drive layout but different LED panel as mentioned above.

Attachments

• mitac.jpg
    Filename
    mitac.jpg
    File size
    124.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this was the closest I found form factor wise and with rounded corners on the case:
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/16317 … -400372-004.jpg

the bottom bit seems to be a bit too narrow, and the front doesn't quite match up but hard to tell.

Reply 7 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does your PC have vertical 3.5" bay on right side of the two bay 5.25"? The darker rectangle on left side is usually vents not sticker.

The type of case with grilles usually is brand made type. Generic cases are *rarely* have bar grilles. One of these I had was generic full tower housing a generic 386DX-25 with cruddy C&T chipset, (can fit full size AT board) with diagonal grille slots in a tall rectangle of tower width on lower half and I have not seen one again ever since (back in the day of 286 and 386 and early 486 days).

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.