VOGONS

First post, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note: I'm aware of safety procedures required for CRTs.

I have one of these monitors which works well, except that it intermittently drops one colour channel. A little tap on the side brings it back momentarily. So I wonder if it's something simple like a degraded solder connection where the VGA cable connects. I want to open it for a quick look, but I'm unsure of the correct procedure.

On the back, at the bottom, there is a screw on each side. Removing them doesn't really loosen things much. At the top, there is a slot on each side which doesn't seem to have any visible screws or clips inside. It clearly needs to be shimmed or unclipped somewhere, but I'm reluctant to get too physical bashing and levering at this old plastic. (There are no screws behind the label either).

Is anyone familiar with this model or similar?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by epictronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, old thread but this is where google sent me.
I couldn't find info and did some testing.
You can use a flat screwdriver in the square holes on the top of the monitor and gently lift the screwdriver to unlatch the plastic tab inside.
While you lift the screwdriver, gently pry off the back cover with a soft prying tool.

Hope this helps the next person who passes by.

btw. anyone have the service manual and spec for the Compaq 460?
Mine is a 460 and not 460p as the one in this thread.
The only visible difference is the buttons to the left. My 460 has knobs there instead.

PS. Never open a CRT monitor without proper training. They could be charged with high voltages even with the cord unplugged.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-28, 02:53. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 2 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always appreciate a bump with an answer 😀 That method was as I suspected. In the end someone did it for me, because the actual repair was above my paygrade anyway. The problem did turn out to be dry solder joints, and after a reflow she's like new again.

Can't help with the service manual search unfortunately.

Reply 3 of 4, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, I have exactly the same problem with one of my CRT's. I changed the VGA cable thinking it was a cable issue as recommended by some "expert", and it didn't change anything. After more tests I definitely confirmed it was a dry solder joint on the internal connector of the VGA cable on the neckboard. I managed to fit the cable in an extended position that puts enough stress on the solder joint to make proper contact 😁 so I'm currently living with it, but I already know at some point I'll have to dismantle the whole neck board and resolder the connector properly. The soldering itself shouldn't be too bad, but the whole dismantling of the neck board is another story, there's grounding points everywhere and it feels like a pain, I'll wait until I can't do otherwise 😁

btw Pierre - thanks for changing your avatar to another Roger Wilco, I've had a few double takes to check if it was me or you :')

Reply 4 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Boohyaka wrote on 2021-01-27, 19:47:

btw Pierre - thanks for changing your avatar to another Roger Wilco, I've had a few double takes to check if it was me or you :')

Haha same, and we were probably confusing some other people too.