VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope I don’t offend any forum rule with this plea for help …

To put a long story short:
Have been long looking for this specific case => bought Cooler Master case “Wavemaster” in black for my 2010 (somewhat) retro HW => Power button got lost during transport => got refund (luckily) => cooler master support can’t help => been really, really sad - like the case much and don’t want to scrap it 🙁 => looking for spare part.

The button has a diameter of approx. 2cm
Doesn't matter if black or silver, I can deal with that.
If anyone has a run down cooler master case (2008-2010, Wavemaster, Praetorian, Centurion etc.) there is a good chance that the power button might fit.

So if you wan't to give the wavemaster a second live, please respond if you can help ...

Wavemaster.jpg
Filename
Wavemaster.jpg
File size
81.38 KiB
Views
File comment
sad Wavemaster with missing button :-(
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
before-after.jpg
Filename
before-after.jpg
File size
19.67 KiB
Views
File comment
before - after
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks to me from that tiny picture that something is broken.

I bet it wouldn't be very difficult to adapt a different same sized button to be able to work.

A new one could probably even be 3d-printed provided that you were able to give the more precise measurements of the size. A digital caliper would come in handy here.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your constructive comment, but 3D-Print would be the very last resort.
I am asking the communitiy for help or I reluctantly ditch the case, which I really wouldn't like to.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 4 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All you really need is a button the same diameter and then you can attach the momentary switch receptacle on the back with glue. I just can't tell from that tiny before/after pic if something is broken or not.

It is going to be a really long shot to find an original button for that specific case.

Really absolutely no reason to ditch a case just because of a broken / missing button.

If you can get exact measurements of the needed diameter and possibly depth then it will be a whole lot easier to source a button that will work.

And if it is the wrong color, you can just paint it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 11, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly, I really like this case but it isn't any passion to me.
As I wrote in this post, wrong colour isn't the matter as lon as it fits.
It would really be a pitty to dump it but ifn't any one can help me, it will be a gonner.

Last edited by ildonaldo on 2020-07-02, 18:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All this alternatives went through my mind and I even have an neighbor with a 3D printer; but first way I am looking for genuine spare part, not any selfmade replacement.

Reply 8 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-07-02, 12:53:
I hope I don’t offend any forum rule with this plea for help … […]
Show full quote

I hope I don’t offend any forum rule with this plea for help …

To put a long story short:
Have been long looking for this specific case => bought Cooler Master case “Wavemaster” in black for my 2010 (somewhat) retro HW => Power button got lost during transport => got refund (luckily) => cooler master support can’t help => been really, really sad - like the case much and don’t want to scrap it 🙁 => looking for spare part.

The button has a diameter of approx. 2cm
Doesn't matter if black or silver, I can deal with that.
If anyone has a run down cooler master case (2008-2010, Wavemaster, Praetorian, Centurion etc.) there is a good chance that the power button might fit.

So if you wan't to give the wavemaster a second live, please respond if you can help ...

Wavemaster.jpg
before-after.jpg

If the power button got lost during transport, shouldn't the broken off power button still be inside the packaging somewhere?

But anyway, that Cooler Master power button looks quite similar to the one on my Centurion 5 cases.
I found that many contemporary cases will have some parts of the cases that are mutually inter-exchangeable (like often drive bays and side covers can fit on several different cases basically perfectly. probably this was to standardize and thus ease construction). I just read that you were already aware of this. I'd say start making regular visits to your local thrift stores or perhaps scrappers 😜

Would be sad if you were going to trash a case you were looking for for 10 years (?) just because the case has 1 part of it missing.

And just ftr I'm not gonna give/sell one of my power buttons as I kinda need them myself 😜 But at least you have a potential extra lead.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long shot: Consider contacting Cooler Master, maybe they can help you out even though it's old, obsolete, unsupported, out of warranty and used.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 11, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure I see the logic in dumping a perfectly useable case for the sake of it but hey, stick it on the bay and I'm sure someone will give it a good home.

Another option for a fix is to use a dome button like these (quick snip and a bit of glue and you're good)

dome buttons - black.jpg
Filename
dome buttons - black.jpg
File size
81.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 11, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-07-02, 19:24:

If the power button got lost during transport, shouldn't the broken off power button still be inside the packaging somewhere?

Nope, I’ve turned everything upside down.

Tetrium wrote on 2020-07-02, 19:24:

But anyway, that Cooler Master power button looks quite similar to the one on my Centurion 5 cases.

Exactly my thought – the Wavemaster, Praetorian, Centurion series should have a similar buttons.

Stiletto wrote on 2020-07-02, 23:03:

Long shot: Consider contacting Cooler Master, maybe they can help you out even though it's old, obsolete, unsupported, out of warranty and used.

That was my first thought.
Here the answer from Cooler Master support:
"We are really sorry, we unfortunately don't have such power button anymore available for the Wavemaster.
Also other case models we currently have don't use a compatible power button.
We are sorry that we can't help you to fix this beautiful case."

I guess, I’ll have to wait If any banged up case turns up on eBay for little money.
Or I'll ask my neighbor if he can make me a replacement on his turning lathe.

PS: big plus for Lian Li - for their cases you can get the most spares quite easily.