First post, by Mattyice1994
I've been pouring over forum posts, the wiki, and Googling a bit, and I still can't quite come to a decision on whether to go for a Dx2-66 or Dx4-100 for my 486 I am building. Either way, I want to go Intel.
My priorities for this build:
1. I intend to *at the least* play games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Hocus Pocus, Alien Carnage, Jill of the Jungle, etc, BUT I would love to explore the spectrum of DOS gaming! Also, I really do want to enjoy the Win 3.11 experience again.
2. Something that is on the higher end of performance would be cool, but it doesn't have to have an absolute speed demon. I want to make sure that it is stable / compatible, but I'd still love to build a higher end 486.
3. Something that is correct for the era. I don't want to build something that wouldn't have been possible or likely at the time.
Current hardware I have:
Acer/ Aopen Vi15G mobo
PTI-255W VLB controller card
Questions I'm looking for some advice on:
1. Should I go for a Dx2-66 or Dx4-100 cpu?
2. Should I go for the Overdrive variety or not, and why?
3. My mobo documentation shows "3.45v" instead of "3.3", does this matter?
Thank you all for any advice! It really has helped so far.