VOGONS

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have just recently returned to my socket 3 build where I have Pentium Overdrive 83 installed on Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 v.2.1. motherboard. To my surprise, irrespective of the jumper setting which seem to be fine (verified them couple of times) there is something wrong and the computer works as slowly as 386 at most. 3DBench outputs the results that are close to 6 points and Speedsys, whch detects The CPU correctly, shows that performance of the machine is similar to 386, well below any 486. I swapped the CPU for IBM 5x86 100c to exclude the CPU as the culprit, but the machine is still as slow as with POD 83.

I will appreciate any suggestions where should I look to resolve this strange problem.

Best regards,
Tom

Last edited by tikoellner on 2020-07-08, 08:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you could try the following steps

• Double check all jumper, especially jumper 5, 6 and 11
  • clear CMOS and reconfigure BIOS settings
  • make sure, the turbo-switch jumper is set

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 3 of 10, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Weird thought: Try hooking up a turbo button. Or putting a jumper on the turbo pins.

I had a PCI 486 motherboard that for whatever reasion would ALLWAYS keep the computer in slow mode unless something was attached, despite bios.

Reply 4 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the fan. When it's disconnected or faulty it will drop the CPU multiplier down to 1X.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 10, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for all your answers!

a) I am pretty sure that turbo is engaged - when I disengage the button it works even slower (I don't know how slower is even possible 😉;
b) The fan seems to be working fine - and I think this is not the case as the mentioned IBM 5x86 is fanless and the computer worked comparably with this CPU;
c) jumpers 5 and 6 are surely OK (both set to 1-2). Will need to check jumper 11 (don't know what it does);
d) I did cleared CMOS - it works this way on default settings as well;
e) Don't know if both caches are running - i remember that I noticed somewhere (some cpu benchmark) that L1 was disabled. In BIOS cache is set in write-back mode.

Kind regards,
Tom

Reply 7 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it use VIA Chipset ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 10, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC-Engineer wrote on 2020-07-08, 12:19:

Ok, set JP21 to Pos. 2/3 and set L1 and L2 in BIOS to WT.

Which BIOS version do you have?

Will check that out while I'm at home this evening and let you know.

Thanks!

Reply 10 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I never managed to get a POD83 working with L1 in Write-Back mode on that board, even though DX4 and 5x86 work fine. But I have an older revision of the board so it may be something that got fixed later.

So yes, I would suggest setting L1 to WT and also get the latest BIOS if possible since it has the widest CPU support. What are your current timings in "Chipset settings"?