VOGONS

First post, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
Last week i bought a 386 Class PC from a local craiglist.Seller claims "I insert the cpu to mainboard wrong orientation then system not working"
If cpu is inseted false direction board does not start to work.Board working on one oriantation.But no post no beep.
How could i check cpu or board failing? I have a multimeter only.No post card i have.

Please give some suggestions in your comments.Thank you
Edit: We changed cpu with TI 486DLC 40MHz and system is now fine.Its working...

Attachments

• IMG-20200813-WA0016.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20200813-WA0016.jpg
    File size
    98.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System Posting
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG-20200813-WA0019.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20200813-WA0019.jpg
    File size
    237.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    TI 486 DLC CPU
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • CPU.jpg
    Filename
    CPU.jpg
    File size
    621.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AMD 386DX 40 QFP CPU Inserted
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Board.jpg
    Filename
    Board.jpg
    File size
    763.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PC Chips m321 mainboard
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Kotu Koylu on 2020-08-13, 12:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easiest way to check if board or cpu is working is to have second board/cpu.
POST diagnostic card would help here to see, if anything is happening on the board...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 12, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-07-08, 12:57:

Easiest way to check if board or cpu is working is to have second board/cpu.
POST diagnostic card would help here to see, if anything is happening on the board...

i have 2 386sx systems but they not have a cpu socket 😖

Reply 3 of 12, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SX and DX are completely incompatible platforms in 386 era anyways.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 4 of 12, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are those electrolytic caps? They look nasty and cheap, should be replaced. If you do not put anything in the board (no CPU, no memory) is it beeping with low long beeps? If you just put in the CPU (no memory) is it beeping?

My M321 was notoriously sensitive for memory. I have had one, lucky me I was working in a computer shop and could select modules until I had a working set of 4...

Reply 5 of 12, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-07-08, 13:08:

What are those electrolytic caps? They look nasty and cheap, should be replaced. If you do not put anything in the board (no CPU, no memory) is it beeping with low long beeps? If you just put in the CPU (no memory) is it beeping?

My M321 was notoriously sensitive for memory. I have had one, lucky me I was working in a computer shop and could select modules until I had a working set of 4...

I want to be sure cpu's right orientation.
Without cpu and ram mb dont give a beep. no low or high beeps .capacitors on attachment.
If i could found a cyrix 486 slc/dlc i would check the mainboard.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 12, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have never seen this brand of capacitor before even, replace please.

The CPU is in the right position in your first picture. This board also exists without socket so the CPU factory soldered on: it has that same position/orientation.

Reply 7 of 12, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-07-08, 18:34:

I have never seen this brand of capacitor before even, replace please.

The CPU is in the right position in your first picture. This board also exists without socket so the CPU factory soldered on: it has that same position/orientation.

Thanks for your usefull infos.I need my friends help for that changing caps.Then i will post last statement 😀👍

Reply 8 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have inserted CPUs/FPUs the wrong way before. Three times actually. It's almost always due to the CPU socket not being clearly marked, and me not paying enough attention. In all cases the CPU fried but the board was still working. The ceramic chips usually crack if you leave them in long enough. The plastic chips will pop and smoke.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 12, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've only inserted a 486DX class cpu wrong - two times on the same motherboard with the same cpu and maybe one year apart 🤣 Both cpu and board survived 😁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 12, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:Cpu is changed by TI 486DLC and system is now working.Check first post for screenshots.
Now im sure 386DX 40 cpu is really burned by inserting wrong direction
Thanks to your helps and comments 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats! That's a nice board. I have my own 386DX based on this very same board.

With AMISETUP, you can change some hidden bios values to speed the board up even more than normal. 😉 (Tightening some timings, increasing some refresh times etc)

Reply 12 of 12, by Kotu Koylu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-08-13, 12:38:

Congrats! That's a nice board. I have my own 386DX based on this very same board.

With AMISETUP, you can change some hidden bios values to speed the board up even more than normal. 😉 (Tightening some timings, increasing some refresh times etc)

Thanks for info.I never had a 386 board with cache.Now ı have 386 board with 486 cpu 😀👍