VOGONS

First post, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everybody. New guy here.

I think Vogons is pretty great. I really like browsing the forums and seeing all of the interesting hardware for people to show off. I heard a lot about this place through Phil's Computer Lab.

Anyways, I bought a Diamond Monster II 8mb (first working Voodoo card) and everything seems fine with it at visual inspection. I'm using a passthrough cable with my Geforce3 ti200. I installed the official Diamond drivers. Restarted the computer. The Voodoo2 is detected in Device Manager. Fantastic. But it seeming it doesn't work beyond being detected. If I attempt to play Half-Life through the 3DFX mini driver, it just hangs there on a loading screen. Card doesn't seem to get hot at all.

If I go to Properties, I get an error saying 'Diamond Monster 3D II not found. Contact Diamond Technical Support.' Then another error saying 'cocreate instance failed' 'class not registered'.

I dunno. I never had an accelerator card before. Am I doing something wrong or is the card kaput?

Reply 1 of 6, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

try checking the box "disable voodoo2 direct 3d support" in your voodoo2 display properties, so the cards don't interfere with each other in D3D.

v2.properties.gif
Filename
v2.properties.gif
File size
10.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wirerogue wrote on 2020-07-08, 23:29:

try checking the box "disable voodoo2 direct 3d support" in your voodoo2 display properties, so the cards don't interfere with each other in D3D.
v2.properties.gif

Oh, thanks. I'll give it a shot. But now I have more questions.

It seems like I found another problem. Some components are missing here on C53. What are these? Diodes? I have recently been soldering capacitors back on so I might be able to fix it.

I also have a pair of broken Creative Labs V2 I could potentially cannibalize. One has broken PCB "connectors" and the other one has broken connectors on one of the main chips. I don't think either of these are salvageable, right? I can at least steal some of the ram chips to upgrade my 8mb Monster to a 12mb Monster, right? There's no penalty to mixing ram chips. I believe they all work the same way.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) HL and HL engine games freeze on the loading screen if a game was started from the autorun.
2) Use something simple to test the glide API. Tech demos as the example.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 6, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

v2.properties.gif

Alright. I got her working now. This is very cool. 😀

Which drivers are you using, Wirerogue? I'm not seeing the option to disable D3D. I believe I'm using the latest reference driver.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 6, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aublak wrote on 2020-08-03, 00:45:

v2.properties.gif

Which drivers are you using, Wirerogue? I'm not seeing the option to disable D3D. I believe I'm using the latest reference driver.

those were the monster 3d drivers.
you can accomplish the same thing with powerstrip if your voodoo drivers dont' have that option.

Reply 6 of 6, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wirerogue wrote on 2020-08-03, 15:03:
Aublak wrote on 2020-08-03, 00:45:

v2.properties.gif

those were the monster 3d drivers.
you can accomplish the same thing with powerstrip if your voodoo drivers dont' have that option.

very cool. I didn't even know about Powerstrip. This little program is a gamechanger.

the popups are annoying though.