VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ZIDA 5STX in my daily retro rig is apparently giving up the ghost as it has started having all kinds of stability issues and Memtest86+ results in errors with all kinds of DIMM and SIMM sticks I've tested with it. Possibly needs a recap. Regardless, I am replacing it with a PCChips MB560TG with a TXPro chipset, and I was wondering if I need to install any specific versions/releases of the ALi M1531 /Aladdin IV+) drivers to make sure it works with PCChips rebranded stuff, or just install the most up to date drivers and go?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-09, 12:15:

The ZIDA 5STX in my daily retro rig is apparently giving up the ghost as it has started having all kinds of stability issues and Memtest86+ results in errors with all kinds of DIMM and SIMM sticks I've tested with it. Possibly needs a recap. Regardless, I am replacing it with a PCChips MB560TG with a TXPro chipset, and I was wondering if I need to install any specific versions/releases of the ALi M1531 /Aladdin IV+) drivers to make sure it works with PCChips rebranded stuff, or just install the most up to date drivers and go?

In old times I always installed ALI IDE mpd driver for Windows 95 or 98 to activate UDMA33. But maybe it's not necessary. Although DMA significantly decreased CPU load during disk IO operations. I just don't remember if it's possible to activate DMA in standard IDE driver for this chipset.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Roman555 wrote on 2020-07-09, 13:22:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-09, 12:15:

In old times I always installed ALI IDE mpd driver for Windows 95 or 98 to activate UDMA33. But maybe it's not necessary. Although DMA significantly decreased CPU load during disk IO operations. I just don't remember if it's possible to activate DMA in standard IDE driver for this chipset.

Any ideas where I can find it? ftp.ali.com.tw seems to have gone down, obviously, and I can't seem to find a mirror..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 3, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-09, 15:25:

Any ideas where I can find it? ftp.ali.com.tw seems to have gone down, obviously, and I can't seem to find a mirror..

In the archive m560.zip here, it's maybe the freshest M5229 driver:
https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/pcchips/m560.htm
There are older drivers available here on ftp of maybe the oldest computer dealer of Ukraine

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]