VOGONS

First post, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As stated here, my 386 system took the house circuit break down. I've got the mainboard out of its cage and inspected it visually. There is some oxidation of the 4th ISA slot, and oxidation around the "RP" component halfway under that slot.

SOYO_019R1_1.jpg
Filename
SOYO_019R1_1.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SOYO_019R1_2.jpg
Filename
SOYO_019R1_2.jpg
File size
818.33 KiB
Views
File license

Am I wrong in thinking that the oxidised slot is the culprit? Any chances the board survived?

How would I best go about cleaning this area?

I will test the PSU and the other components later this weekend (time allowing).

Reply 1 of 4, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PSU works, that has been confirmed.

I've doused the affected area of the board with 7% vinegar, and after some bubbling and sizzling, rinced it with vinegar, scrubbed the area and used a toothpick to pick the last bits off. Then some alcohol and I left it out to dry in the early summer sun.

It looks better than before:

SOYO_019R1_3.jpg
Filename
SOYO_019R1_3.jpg
File size
409.13 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 4, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So is it working now? 😀

I actually suspect more on the tantalum caps than the corrosion, even though the corrosion is real bad. Usually when there is a short, the PSU should shut down instead of tripping the circuit breaker. In your case that didn't happen, so perhaps the quality of the PSU is dubious too. It only happened to me once when fixing a cheap old PSU. The manufacturer substituted the Y safety caps with normal ceramic caps, and the ceramic cap failed it caused a short from live to ground, tripping the house breaker.

P/S: some of the traces beneath RP22 looks affected. Traces under the ISA slot might be affected too.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 3 of 4, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point on the PSU, I suppose it's far from reliable. With another PSU, the power does not trip.

The system does not boot, though. Depending on which ISA slot I use, the output of the test card is either

I've only been able to quickly test the graphics card on an ASUS ISA-486, and that is ok. I'll test the ram from the 019R1 later today.