VOGONS

First post, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not too knowledgeable here, but I was performing a bios update on my abit VA6 motherboard and it froze up on me midway through and didn't complete. To make matters worse, as I went to power down the machine after 10 minutes of waiting, there was a short with my sd card adapter. To be exact, the machine powered itself down just as I heard a faint zap and saw a small spark when a loose molex touched one of the pins on the little floppy power connector. Now, the machine wont show anything when I power up--no post screen, just black. I checked the SD adapter and that works fine on a different machine. I tried different RAM, CPU, and video card--nothing. Now I can't be sure of whether the problem stems from the short or the failed bios update, or perhaps both! The cpu fan does still spin up though, which leaves me hopeful that I can simply reprogram the bios chip externally. Which brings me to the next issue:

How can I reprogram this chip? It's an Atmel AT49F002NT (picture attached). I'd rather not buy one of those programmers but if I have to I have to. I already have a CH341A but I don't think it's compatible with dip32, but maybe I'm wrong. I also have a Raspberry pi which I know supports SPI and can be used to reprogram BIOSes. How would I wire that up? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to get this board back--it was running fine just this morning before I decided to do something stupid and update the BIOS.

Thanks.

Attachments

• bios-chip.jpg
    Filename
    bios-chip.jpg
    File size
    293.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have another board that uses a DIP32 format BIOS chip and supports the required VPP (programming voltage), you may be able to hot flash, but that is not the safest approach .

The chip is not SPI, it is parallel, so an SPI only programmer won't work.

IMHO, your options are hot flashing, buying a compatible programmer, getting someone to program the chip for you or buying a compatible pre-programmed chip from someone .

Reply 2 of 13, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I don't have another board with that kind of bios. They all seem to be PLCC-32 type, which I'm guessing is serial. Any recommendations? Would this work? They seem to be a bit cheaper than the TLC866II that everyone always talks about. Or would none of these work with my chip?

Reply 3 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kegepet wrote on 2020-07-11, 23:25:

Unfortunately, I don't have another board with that kind of bios. They all seem to be PLCC-32 type, which I'm guessing is serial. Any recommendations? Would this work? They seem to be a bit cheaper than the TLC866II that everyone always talks about. Or would none of these work with my chip?

According to http://www.sofi-tech.com/devlist.asp?model=SP8-A , that programmer is for serial EEPROMs only , so no it won't work .

Reply 6 of 13, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very high. A short like that would have only damaged the sd card adapter or psu, but both are still working so you should he just fine. No display is exactly what you would get with a corrupted BIOS image

Reply 7 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-12, 00:53:

Use it as an excuse to buy a TL866 programmer on ebay. I love mine

It's definitely worth it . It's near the top of the list of useful items along with a multi-meter, a soldering iron, a POST card , cheap spare parts (both sacrificial and for testing by elimination).

That said, there are people on the Internet who will sell you an EEPROM programmed with the content of your choosing for a modest fee . I bought an EEPROM from such a person for my P3B-F after I managed to break an EEPROM leg while hot flashing (before I got a TL866) . Such people can be found on a certain auction site, among other places .

EDIT: Yet another option would be to to ask if someone on vogons who owns a programmer and who lives near your location would be willing to flash your EEPROM for you . Two way postage on something like an EEPROM should be minimal .

Last edited by darry on 2020-07-12, 01:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Atmel AT49F002 flash ROM has boot block, which usually the Award flash utility won't touch unless forced to. You could try hooking up a floppy drive and see if its LED lights up when power on, if so you could set up a floppy disk to auto reprogram the flash.

For example, you could put these in the autoexec.bat of the floppy disk:
@echo off
awdflash.exe newbios.bin /py /sn /cc /cp /cd /r

/py - program, yes
/sn - save bios, no
/cc - clear cmos
/cp - clear escd
/r - reset after completion

Do not turn off the computer while the floppy drive LED is on.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 9 of 13, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-12, 01:37:
The Atmel AT49F002 flash ROM has boot block, which usually the Award flash utility won't touch unless forced to. You could try h […]
Show full quote

The Atmel AT49F002 flash ROM has boot block, which usually the Award flash utility won't touch unless forced to. You could try hooking up a floppy drive and see if its LED lights up when power on, if so you could set up a floppy disk to auto reprogram the flash.

For example, you could put these in the autoexec.bat of the floppy disk:
@echo off
awdflash.exe newbios.bin /py /sn /cc /cp /cd /r

/py - program, yes
/sn - save bios, no
/cc - clear cmos
/cp - clear escd
/r - reset after completion

Do not turn off the computer while the floppy drive LED is on.

Well, actually I tried that per the manual's suggestion, which goes so far as to recommend this solution specifically in the event of a bios update failure due to, among other things, short circuits. Of course in my case, the short occurred AFTER the bios update failure, so I guess that doesn't apply. In any case the floppy drive was never accessed, but I think that's because, prior to the update attempt, I disabled the floppy while setting everything up, and I believe the bios is locked into these settings. I say that because I noticed that the 4-second delay for power off is in effect, which is not a default setting. I also tried the same method directly from the SD card adapter with the sd card having been formatted with "format /s", the bios update files, and 'autoexec.bat' exactly as you have it--except I didn't have /r. I was using v7.22 of awdflash.exe, which is the version mentioned in the manual, and I don't think that has a /r. I did clear the cmos using the jumper afterwards though.

Reply 10 of 13, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SD won't work as it needs IDE hdd routines which is in the main section of the BIOS which is now corrupted. A floppy drive is needed. Just reset the CMOS by jumper and try again. This won't work if the boot block is also corrupted though, e.g. you used the /wb command to force awdflash to program the boot block previously.

Reply 11 of 13, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-12, 02:56:

SD won't work as it needs IDE hdd routines which is in the main section of the BIOS which is now corrupted. A floppy drive is needed. Just reset the CMOS by jumper and try again. This won't work if the boot block is also corrupted though, e.g. you used the /wb command to force awdflash to program the boot block previously.

No I didn't use the /wb switch. I didn't even know that existed. I'll try this again tomorrow with a different floppy disk and drive, but I don't have my hopes up, since I tried resetting via jumper several times, and the floppy was not being accessed. If it fails though, I guess I'll just pick up one of these.

Reply 12 of 13, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TL866 is a very good programmer, I have one myself. But if you don't use it regularly, you could opt for the other alternatives others mentioned though, i.e. buy a preprogrammed BIOS chip or ask a fellow forumer to program it for you. It'll be much cheaper.