VOGONS

First post, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello fellow retro computer enthusiasts. I rarely post on this forum (apart from a few replies to some threads where I thought I could be useful to others) but I've been a long time stalker.

Over the weekend I picked up a beige AT computer at a flea market. I bought it because I really liked the case design and I make it a point to buy AT cases with MHz displays whenever possible.

fL4hlTCl.jpg

I got the PC from a middle aged man who was selling mostly assorted knick-knacks (paintings, old ceramic figurines, old russian and romanian radios, remote controls from several appliances, old russian power tools, random cables etc). Didn't bother to ask him where he got if from, but before buying it I looked at the I/O side and noticed it was packed with expansion cards - notably what looked like a voodoo card. Couldn't tell if it was a v1 or v2 and I din't have a screwdriver with me to open it up. Noticing that I figured the PC was yet another socket 7 computer, so I didn't bother opening it up as soon as I got home.

Yesterday I set aside some time and decided to open up this mystery PC. This is what I found (apart from an ISA SNC LAN card witch I removed):

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-13 at 18.14.45.jpeg
Filename
File size
283.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A socket 3 486 class computer, with an unidentified (black PCB, 100MHz memory, 12MB of it) Voodoo 2 card, a Matrox Mystique 2MB with a Rainbow Runner module, 32MB of ram (2x8MB + 16MB FPM) and an AWE32. The mainboard is a MSI MS4144 - SiS chipset, not EDO support (tried, won't post with EDO), no PS/2 mouse header, but it does have an CR2032 battery holder. Bios is an American Megatrends GUI bios. The HDD was a 6 GB Quantum Fireball drive witch is unfortunately riddled with bad sectors. Odd that such a large drive worked in a 486 class PC - more on that later.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-13 at 18.14.44.jpeg
Filename
File size
201.59 KiB
Views
File license
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-13 at 18.14.44 (1).jpeg
Filename
File size
149.69 KiB
Views
File license

Moving the cables around while cleaning the PC (although it was pretty clean to begin with) I came across this:

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-13 at 18.14.44 (2).jpeg
Filename
File size
133.4 KiB
Views
File license

A pentium overdrive yay! I removed the PSU connectors from the mainboard and the disk drives (and good thing I did) and tried powering the PC on. The PSU fan rattled on, and before I had time to grab my multi-meter and probe for voltages, BANG! Magic smoke. Shame, AT PSUs are getting rarer and rarer. The stock PSU was made by some SUNNY CORP, a 150W unit, made in china. After swapping the PSU with a 200w JNC I had around, the PC posted. Dead CMOS battery - replaced that, and tried booting, but because the HDD was in bad shape I didn't get very far.

I put the PC's original drive away and installed a clean working 4Gb seagate. Interestingly, this motherboard can detect HDDs up to 18GB. Never seen that before on a 486. It detected my MAXTOR 2R015H1 15GB drive w/o any trouble, but it would not detect a 20GB version (2R020H1) of the same drive (well it did, but it detected it as a 18.2 GB drive and would not read correctly from it).

I experimented with dos 6.22, and pondered installing win3.11 along side it - to run 486 stuff. But then I took a break and pondered the reason this machine is the way it is. After giving it another inspection, I found a label witch listed a hardware configuration:

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-13 at 18.14.44 (3).jpeg
Filename
File size
100.24 KiB
Views
File license

It seems it's original configuration included 4MB of ram, a 210MB hdd, a 512kb SVGA card (probably ISA), a 200W PSU and it also came with a monocrome 14" monitor. It's wierd that they sold a SVGA capable PC together with a monocrome monitor - but that got me thinking again... the original buyer probably couldn't swing for a color monitor, and decided to buy one in the future - a common practice back in the day in my country. Also notable is that the motherboard section ("placa de baza") contains two serial numbers, and they are of different lengths - indicating that either the PC's original motherboard died under warranty, or more likely, the user upgraded the computer at the same company / shop that originally sold it to him.

I can only theorize what it started out as - considering here in romania PCs were very rare and expensive back when this was new, I initially believed this stared out as a late model 386 or 286. I that was because the parts table mentions a I/O and IDE combo card, and of course the small HDD and 512k video card. It could have started out as a ISA only 486-SX - those were pretty common here, more so than 386 and 286 machines.... so considering that, it stands to reason it originally began as a 25MHz 486SX or 33MHz DX.

What I find interesting is that this person upgraded this little PC to the limit of it's capabilities... a PCI motherboard, a pentium overdrive (the one on this 486 is a POD83), 32MB of ram - uncommon on 486 machines in their time, an expensive PCI video card, an AWE32, and a Voodoo 2 of all things! even the L2 cache! 4 of the cache chips - the first 128kb are made by Winbond, while the other 4 are EtronTech.

It seems to me this person tried to hold on to this computer as long as possible. This leads me to think the upgrades were many, and not purchased when they were new. Parts like the POD83, the Matrox Mystique, the AWE32 and especially the voodoo2 were very expensive when new - way over the financial possibilities of your average romanian in the 90's. Witch is why there was a strong second hand part market here. I firmly believe that these upgrades were bought when they were close to being obsolete, and for a decent price - that's what most of us did back in the 90's. It's sort of curious he did not upgrade the motherboard to a socket 5 or socket 7, but up to '97-98, most PCs running in romania were 486 class, the vast majority of them being used as word processors or for corel draw and buisness/office tasks. If he decided to upgrade in 97, a second hand socket 7 board was not easy to come by, and not cheap - so it makes sense to me that he stuck with socket 3. What I find remarkable is the fact that he manged to get a hold of a POD. These are rare now, and were rare back then as well. Maybe he was an IT guy? Maybe he had a relative who owned a PC parts shop? Or maybe he just got lucky.

What do you guys think? Any toughs on this? Have you ever picked up something like this (severly upgraded) while collecting? I'm eager to hear your opinions.

I'll also post some benchmarks in a bit.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-15, 02:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 3 POD
Mystique WITH Rainbow Runner
AWE 32
Voodoo 2

That's the type of 486 someone here would build. You sure that middle aged man isn't on vogons? 😉
I would say your right though and the original owner knew their hardware as the Rainbow Runner and Voodoo 2 really need a better CPU, but if it was going cheap then why not!?
You definitely got a good deal.

8GB is a common limit for PCI based 486's. In fact my older VLB 486 also detects 8GB but boot hangs with anything larger then 6GB installed.
You keeping this as is or swapping hardware around with other machines?

Reply 2 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote on 2020-07-13, 15:57:
Hello fellow retro computer enthusiasts. I rarely post on this forum (apart from a few replies to some threads where I tough I c […]
Show full quote

Hello fellow retro computer enthusiasts. I rarely post on this forum (apart from a few replies to some threads where I tough I could be useful to others) but I've been a long time stalker.

Over the weekend I picked up a beige AT computer at a flea market. I bought it because I really liked the case design and I make it a point to buy AT cases with MHz displays whenever possible.

fL4hlTCl.jpg

I got the PC from a middle aged man who was selling mostly assorted knick-knacks (paintings, old ceramic figurines, old russian and romanian radios, remote controls from several appliances, old russian power tools, random cables etc). Didn't bother to ask him where he got if from, but before buying it I looked at the I/O side and noticed it was packed with expansion cards - notably what looked like a voodoo card. Couldn't tell if it was a v1 or v2 and I din't have a screwdriver with me to open it up. Noticing that I figured the PC was yet another socket 7 computer, so I didn't bother opening it up as soon as I got home.

Yesterday I set aside some time and decided to open up this mystery PC. This is what I found (apart from an ISA SNC LAN card witch I removed):

A socket 3 486 class computer, with an unidentified (black PCB, 100MHz memory, 12MB of it) Voodoo 2 card, a Matrox Mystique 2MB with a Rainbow Runner module, 32MB of ram (2x8MB + 16MB FPM) and an AWE32. The mainboard is a MSI MS4144 - SiS chipset, not EDO support (tried, won't post with EDO), no PS/2 mouse header, but it does have an CR2032 battery holder. Bios is an American Megatrends GUI bios. The HDD was a 6 GB Quantum Fireball drive witch is unfortunately riddled with bad sectors. Odd that such a large drive worked in a 486 class PC - more on that later.

Moving the cables around while cleaning the PC (although it was pretty clean to begin with) I came across this:

A pentium overdrive yay! I removed the PSU connectors from the mainboard and the disk drives (and good thing I did) and tried powering the PC on. The PSU fan rattled on, and before I had time to grab my multi-meter and probe for voltages, BANG! Magic smoke. Shame, AT PSUs are getting rarer and rarer. The stock PSU was made by some SUNNY CORP, a 150W unit, made in china. After swapping the PSU with a 200w JNC I had around, the PC posted. Dead CMOS battery - replaced that, and tried booting, but because the HDD was in bad shape I didn't get very far.

I put the PC's original drive away and installed a clean working 4Gb seagate. Interestingly, this motherboard can detect HDDs up to 18GB. Never seen that before on a 486. It detected my MAXTOR 2R015H1 15GB drive w/o any trouble, but it would not detect a 20GB version (2R020H1) of the same drive (well it did, but it detected it as a 18.2 GB drive and would not read correctly from it).

I experimented with dos 6.22, and pondered installing win3.11 along side it - to run 486 stuff. But then I took a break and pondered the reason this machine is the way it is. After giving it another inspection, I found a label witch listed a hardware configuration:

It seems it's original configuration included 4MB of ram, a 210MB hdd, a 512kb SVGA card (probably ISA), a 200W PSU and it also came with a monocrome 14" monitor. It's wierd that they sold a SVGA capable PC together with a monocrome monitor - but that got me thinking again... the original buyer probably couldn't swing for a color monitor, and decided to buy one in the future - a common practice back in the day in my country. Also notable is that the motherboard section ("placa de baza") contains two serial numbers, and they are of different lengths - indicating that either the PC's original motherboard died under warranty, or more likely, the user upgraded the computer at the same company / shop that originally sold it to him.

I can only theorize what it started out as - considering here in romania PCs were very rare and expensive back when this was new, I initially believed this stared out as a late model 386 or 286. I that was because the parts table mentions a I/O and IDE combo card, and of course the small HDD and 512k video card. It could have started out as a ISA only 486-SX - those were pretty common here, more so than 386 and 286 machines.... so considering that, it stands to reason it originally began as a 25MHz 486SX or 33MHz DX.

What I find interesting is that this person upgraded this little PC to the limit of it's capabilities... a PCI motherboard, a pentium overdrive (the one on this 486 is a POD83), 32MB of ram - uncommon on 486 machines in their time, an expensive PCI video card, an AWE32, and a Voodoo 2 of all things! even the L2 cache! 4 of the cache chips - the first 128kb are made by Winbond, while the other 4 are EtronTech.

It seems to me this person tried to hold on to this computer as long as possible. This leads me to think the upgrades were many, and not purchased when they were new. Parts like the POD83, the Matrox Mystique, the AWE32 and especially the voodoo2 were very expensive when new - way over the financial possibilities of your average romanian in the 90's. Witch is why there was a strong second hand part market here. I firmly believe that these upgrades were bought when they were close to being obsolete, and for a decent price - that's what most of us did back in the 90's. It's sort of curious he did not upgrade the motherboard to a socket 5 or socket 7, but up to '97-98, most PCs running in romania were 486 class, the vast majority of them being used as word processors or for corel draw and buisness/office tasks. If he decided to upgrade in 97, a second hand socket 7 board was not easy to come by, and not cheap - so it makes sense to me that he stuck with socket 3. What I find remarkable is the fact that he manged to get a hold of a POD. These are rare now, and were rare back then as well. Maybe he was an IT guy? Maybe he had a relative who owned a PC parts shop? Or maybe he just got lucky.

What do you guys think? Any toughs on this? Have you ever picked up something like this (severly upgraded) while collecting? I'm eager to hear your opinions.

Reading about such a nice find made my day . Thanks for sharing .

Reply 4 of 25, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-07-13, 16:24:
Socket 3 POD Mystique WITH Rainbow Runner AWE 32 Voodoo 2 […]
Show full quote

Socket 3 POD
Mystique WITH Rainbow Runner
AWE 32
Voodoo 2

That's the type of 486 someone here would build. You sure that middle aged man isn't on vogons? 😉
I would say your right though and the original owner knew their hardware as the Rainbow Runner and Voodoo 2 really need a better CPU, but if it was going cheap then why not!?
You definitely got a good deal.

8GB is a common limit for PCI based 486's. In fact my older VLB 486 also detects 8GB but boot hangs with anything larger then 6GB installed.
You keeping this as is or swapping hardware around with other machines?

I'm 100% sure the seller has no idea about the internet, let alone vogons 😀. Hardware-wise it is a bit of a jackpot - especially since I have a very modest collection, and apart from a socket 4 pentium + motherboard and a K6-III, I don't have anything that could remotely be considered rare... I collect mostly socket 3 stuff really... I pass on 3dfx cards unless I happen upon them at a flea market or trade for them with other retro PC enthusiasts... last time I traded a complete amd 586 system for one voodoo 3 3000 agp, and it is the only working v3 3000 I own.

I plan to keep the PC as it is. Just clean it up, replace the caps on the mainboard and sound card, find a FDD that is a matching shade of yellow and put win95 on it (I'm currently installing it as we speak).

As an addition - the MHZ display reads 100MHz - that leads me to believe the PC had a 100MHz DX4 in it at one point... Missed that until now.

darry wrote on 2020-07-13, 16:30:
Socket3 wrote on 2020-07-13, 15:57:
Hello fellow retro computer enthusiasts. I rarely post on this forum (apart from a few replies to some threads where I tough I c […]
Show full quote

Hello fellow retro computer enthusiasts. I rarely post on this forum (apart from a few replies to some threads where I tough I could be useful to others) but I've been a long time stalker.

fL4hlTCl.jpg

Reading about such a nice find made my day . Thanks for sharing .

Thank you. I love doing PC archaeology in this manner, but this is the first time I found something I consider interesting enough to share.

Last edited by Socket3 on 2020-07-13, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 25, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-13, 17:00:

you should change it to read out 83 😀

I'm considering it, but I kind of like the "hopefull" look of it with 100MHz displayed at the front. I tried running the CPU at 40MHz FSB, but it won't boot into windows and Quake crashes in the middle of the timedemo... Guess I was asking to much of it.

As promised, I've returned with benchmarks:

Summary:

Speedsys:
CPU: 61.14
Mem Bandwith: 110.06
L1 Speed: 154.64
L2 Speed: 39.19
Memory Troughput: 29.85

PCP Bench /VGAMODE: 19.6
Dos Quake 320/240 sound enabled, default screen size: 19.3 FPS
GLQuake 640x480 sound enabled: 30.1 FPS
Duke 3D default screen size, sound enabled, staring at crate - 35 FPS
Descent 2 DOS - 33.24 and 22.91 FPS
Descent 2 3dfx patch 640x480 - 60.16 and 52.09

UqKbhURl.jpg

kqbpStyl.jpg

Quake 1 in software 320x240 (sound enabled):

SM7ogRcl.jpg

GLQuake 640x480 sound enabled:

TAn1wz8l.jpg

Descent 2 under DOS - can't determine an avarage FPS for this, but I took a couple of pics - one at the start of level 1 with not much going on, and another in a chamber full of robots shooting at the player:

yorw77ol.jpg

LjPW491l.jpg

Descent 2 3DFX patch under win95 640x480 - same places as before:

Icu3GlCl.jpg

MVNZAMMl.jpg

Duke 3D - again no avarage FPS, but I try and judge performance by entering the first level and killing the alien on top of this crate. Lowest FPS was 18 (in the cinema with 3 aliens shooting at duke), highest is 74 (while falling down trough the vents at the start of the level).

F1Nu8kRl.jpg

Frankly I'm a bit shocked at how fast this little thing is. Performance is similar (maybe a tiny bit faster) then a 75MHz socket 5/7 pentium. I've read that the POD is not worth getting because 486 mainboards and a 33MHz bus greatly limit it's performance, making it comparable in games to a AM5x86-133. So far this machine is a lot faster.

I removed the POD83 and installed a 586, but I can't seem to get it stable... jumper hell I guess. I'll try to bench the POD against a 100Mhz cyrix and a 133MHz amd 586, then overclock the amd to 160MHz (this chip is stable at 4x40) and report back.

Reply 7 of 25, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the POD83 is great, someone on here did a thread about it not too long ago - it produced the most performance gains over its base platform out of any of the POD series

Reply 8 of 25, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wasn't unusual for AT systems to have mobo swaps over time. My 286 went to a 486 then Pentium 133 system.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 25, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-07-13, 20:31:

wasn't unusual for AT systems to have mobo swaps over time. My 286 went to a 486 then Pentium 133 system.

Yeah, but I think it's uncommon to find a computer that has been upgraded to this extent - in one piece. Then again maybe it's just me... most PC's I come across are base models - like the IBM PC100 I started a thread on vogons about. The thing doesn't even have L2 cache. Same with my Valuepoint 486, and many others. I got a Dell optiplex a couple of months ago - PII 233, 48MB of ram, intel 440LX chipset.... fastest CPU it will support is a 333MHz pentium 2...

On another note, I can't seem to get a 133Mhz Am586 to run stable on this PC. I followed the instructions in the manual (found it here on vogons), but there's not AMD 586 specific section. I did manage to get the Cyrix 100GP stable tough, but it's far from the POD in terms of performance.

Has anyone here managed to get a Am5x86 stable on this board?

Reply 10 of 25, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a jackpot! Nice find.

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2

Reply 11 of 25, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You got really lucky with this find.

Don't know what specific zone you're from, but I don't get this amount of cool retro stuff in one case at my local flea market. Just bits and bytes here and there.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-15, 02:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

cool find, so now find out which Voodoo2 it is!!"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 25, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-14, 19:17:

cool find, so now find out which Voodoo2 it is!!"

imi wrote on 2020-07-14, 19:20:

At first sight I thought it was a Trust Voodoo Dragon 2, but it seems to be a Skywell Magic 3D II. There's no stickers anywhere on the card, but on the back it's silk-screened "M3D II".

i7EGzmQl.jpg

Skywell cards were not sold in Romania. This, coupled with the fact that I've never seen a POD back in the day, leads me to believe this computer was upgraded with parts bought from outside the country, probably by a relative who worked there. I had a close friend whose uncle would bring him computer parts whenever he visited Romania. He got several CPU upgrades, RAM and his first AGP card that way (a GeForce FX 5900XT - I was so jealous at the time).

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-15, 02:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 25, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the Skywell seems to have "Magic 3D II" printed on the component side on most pictures I could find, the HIS one has the "M3D II" print on the back... they were probably all manufactured by the same OEM anyways ^^
Trust supposedly bought Skywell and sold them in europe, the HIS card probably has the same roots I'd guess.

Reply 19 of 25, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-07-14, 20:02:

the Skywell seems to have "Magic 3D II" printed on the component side on most pictures I could find, the HIS one has the "M3D II" print on the back... they were probably all manufactured by the same OEM anyways ^^
Trust supposedly bought Skywell and sold them in europe, the HIS card probably has the same roots I'd guess.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea! So i's a HIS card it would seem. Cool. HIS cards were sold here, even back when this machine was relevant. That makes my previous post incorrect. Maybe he did purchase it from here. Still don't know about the POD... I've been involved with PC hardware since the early 90's, and I never ever saw a POD for sale in my country, either in stores or advertised in magazines... The fastest socket 3 CPU sold here (printed in pamphlets and catalogs at least) were the Am5x86-133 and the Cyrix 5x86-133GP 4x, and those were sold here in late 96 early 97. In fact you could still find new amd 586 chips for sale here as late as 1998...

Last edited by Socket3 on 2020-07-14, 20:12. Edited 3 times in total.