VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What SCSI ID would the Sound Blaster CT-1770 use For the SCSI CDROM drive ?

Reply 1 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-07-17, 21:48:

What SCSI ID would the Sound Blaster CT-1770 use For the SCSI CDROM drive ?

That would be the SCSI ID that the CDROM drive is configured to, usually via jumpers or DIP switches on the drive . In other words, the user gets to set the SCSI CDROM's SCSI ID . The same is true for other SCSI peripherals/devices .

Reply 3 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-07-17, 22:26:

oh, I thought the sound blaster installation software would prefer a certain ID #.
So what is a typical SCSI ID setting for a CDROM drive ?

SCSI devices on a given SCSI bus must each have a unique ID between 0 and 7 . 7 is usually reserved for the controller, so 0 to 6 are available for peripherals like CDROM drives, hard drives, scanners, etc . If are only connecting one SCSI device to your CT-1770 , any ID between 0 and 6 will do .

You will also need to terminate each end of the SCSI bus/chain . Assuming you only have the SCSI controller on the CT-1770 and the SCSI CD-ROM drive, that means each of these will need to be terminated . The CDROM driver should have a jumper for that, but I have no idea if there is one on the CT-1770 or whether it is "hard-terminated" or if you need to use something like this https://store.cwc-group.com/insc50maacte.html .

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-07-17, 23:09:

Here is the manual.
What SCSI settings would you use ?
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … -16-SCSI-5.html

Unless there is a conflict in your specific setup, I would leave the SCSI IRQ at default (11) . If you are using a motherboard with a Plug and Play BIOS , you will want to reserve that IRQ for legacy device use in the CMOS setup .

As for termination, having looked at some pictures of the CT-1770 , it looks like it has a soldered-on termination block , so you will only need to configure the CDROM drive to enable its termination jumper(s) and set its SCSI ID and you should be all set hardware-wise .

Reply 6 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes ! The CT-1770 uses Adaptec 6360 and has passive terminators soldered on. If you have issues with the cdrom try ID2 or ID3 as the same Adaptec chip was also used on some HD ISA cards and ID0 and ID1 were reserved for HD's. I have a CT-1770 and it works well with a Toshiba scsi with similar passive termination on ID3 and Term power enabled with a short 50pin cable with only a connector on each end.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-07-18, 01:15:

Yes ! The CT-1770 uses Adaptec 6360 and has passive terminators soldered on. If you have issues with the cdrom try ID2 or ID3 as the same Adaptec chip was also used on some HD ISA cards and ID0 and ID1 were reserved for HD's. I have a CT-1770 and it works well with a Toshiba scsi with similar passive termination on ID3 and Term power enabled with a short 50pin cable with only a connector on each end.

Thanks for the info regarding reserved IDs . I have never encountered that. Then again, my forays into scsi-land were few and far between .

Reply 8 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an old Tyan S1390 SCSI VLB card with same AIC-6360 for the SCSI but also has a SCSI BIOS where the CT-1770 does not but that card does not like a cdrom on ID 0 or 1, it expects to see an HD on those. That could be due to the Tyan/Adaptec scsi bios but was just suggesting > if there is an issue try id2 or 3.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun