VOGONS

First post, by brettp11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I’m trying to mount my motherboard to my case. I’ve noticed that two of the mounting holes on the motherboard do NOT have a metal ring around them like the others do (see pictures). These holes are needed to mount it securely and line up perfectly with the case. Can I screw a metal MB screw in these holes or do I risk shorting the board? Do I need a plastic insulating washer for these holes?

Thank you!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are for plastic tabs/inserts only. Do not use metal screws in those. How many metal ringed screw holes are there ? Most boards will stay securely lined up with as few as 4. added: show a picture of the complete board and the inside of the case please.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by brettp11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Here are pictures of the case and the motherboard. There are no holes on the entire other side of the board with the metal rings, only on that one side.

Thank you!

Attachments

Reply 3 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some plastic standoffs are just spacers, preventing you from bending the board if you try to connect something. Others are used to hold the board. You can differentiate them by looking at their bottom part.

These are used to hold the motherboard by sliding their bottom part in the case
standoff.Main.jpg

And these can't slide, instead they sit on the bottom of the case, preventing you from bending the motherboard.

standoff.jpg
Filename
standoff.jpg
File size
131.71 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The case is not true AT compliant, should have 4 screw mounts near the back. Those two metal in the middle should be replaced with something like these

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    37.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there is a threaded hole in the tray right under that hole in the motherboard, you can use a screw there provided that:
- you use a plastic hex standoff instead of the regular metal ones
- you use a washer between the screw and the board

If there is no hole in the tray on that position, just use one of those "flat" plastic standoffs shown in picture #2 of Deksor's post.

I don't see any holes for the "sliding type" of standoffs in your case, so you don't need those (although if you have any, you can cut the bottom part to convert them into the "flat" type).

Reply 6 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! This is where a kit like in the picture becomes handy, you can use what ever fits or cut to fit....

Attachments

• 3658-02.jpg
    Filename
    3658-02.jpg
    File size
    265.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain