VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got a Tyan Tsunami 440BX board from 1998, and while it seems to be working perfectly, I noticed that unlike most other 440BX boards I've seen this one does not have a heatsink on the main BGA chip.

So my question is: does the 440BX really need some sort of extra cooling? The fact that my CPU cooler is on the way prevents me to check properly how hot it gets under normal use.

Now, I know that "a heatsink is always better than nothing", but in this case I would need one of those low profile heatsinks (so that it won't block the Slot 1 cooler) with some sort of adhesive, since there are no mounting holes near the chipset. I would prefer to avoid all that hassle right now unless it's really necessary as it is difficult for me to source that type of heatsink in this moment.

Keep in mind I don't plan to run the board overclocked or out of spec in any way.

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Compaq 440BX board running a 500 and has no Northbridge heatsink, it does get warm but not hot. So I say if the board came without one you should be ok as long as you have good airflow thru the case.

Attachments

• Img_1230s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1230s.jpg
    File size
    275.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lots of 440BX boards didn't come with a heatsink. I think most of the boards that heatsinked the 440BX were retail enthusiast boards. Whether that was to aid overclocking or just to look good, I don't know.
Many Intel boards that appeared in Dells and such had the chipset bare. But some of those were also heatsinked (I have at least one example on an Intel board), so there is some inconsistency there.

If your CPU cooler has a fan and deflects air onto the chip then that probably mitigates the heat a great deal. But if you don't think it's getting any ventilation then that might be a good reason to be concerned about it.
Given that you don't plan to overclock and that it's probably getting airflow, I think the heatsink would be totally optional.
In theory it could extend the life of the chipset, but these chips weren't failure prone so unless it's working long hours it probably doesn't matter.

Reply 3 of 7, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys. I have pretty good airflow in the case right now, so that isn't a concern. I'll keep using it with the bare chipset for now and later on when I have the chance I may buy a heatsink to put on it.