VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

lately I found this drive ZIP100 Parallel external classic one and a brand new floppy along with its original cable. But I've no PSU compatible with the connector. If I understood correctly and I ask this too, is the positive on the inside and the negative on the outside? And also which are the exact dimension of the psu connector if I want to make one myself and not spending again for the original cause I don't know if the drive itself will actually works at first.
Also what about the "click of death" problem? How do I know if my drive may be one of the ones having it or most had the problem? I don't see any manufacturing date on the back beside P/N and serial number of the drive and Made in Philippines.
Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, the Zip 100 AC adapter is 5.0V, 1.0A center-positive with a 5.5mm barrel, . It's easy to find the connector in other adapters:

Attachments

• IMG_5622.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5622.JPG
    File size
    52.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Iomega Zip 100 AC adapter
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by aha2940 on 2020-07-21, 14:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Barrel (outside) is negative, "tip" (inside) is positive. 5V @ 1A.

The original connector is right angled barrel connector which is about 5.5mm outside diameter, and the central pin looks like a 2.5mm.

Be careful when selecting a connector as the exposed section barrel itself is 10mm, however the connector itself is recessed - the distance from the tip of the connector to the right angled cable is 19mm.
A straight plug with a long body with a diameter under 9mm, with 10mm of barrel exposed should do the job.

HTH

Reply 3 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for both answers. I found that the connector size is quite large on the inside part of the connector compared to the usual router or whatever devices..the metal inside center pin is quite larger than usual, so I've to look for a specific connector and use any of the 5V AC/DC transformers I've around.

Reply 4 of 5, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a related question with a ZIP100 drive. For my drive, it seems that someone plugged in the wrong adapter years ago, because where the power connector is it smells like smoke. I don't have the proper PSU, but is it a lost cause at this point?

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 5 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brian105 wrote on 2020-07-21, 18:13:

I have a related question with a ZIP100 drive. For my drive, it seems that someone plugged in the wrong adapter years ago, because where the power connector is it smells like smoke. I don't have the proper PSU, but is it a lost cause at this point?

I don't know how is the inside pcb layout so I couldn't say but I'd try to look for some guide to open it and look for any damaged signs of the components close to the connector and related to the power circuits.
But I don't know how easy it's to open it, it's the first time I own such drive myself.