VOGONS

First post, by VulcanVogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.. I got this Pentium used from someone, but it gives that error, password violated, system halted message when it boots.

The very first time however when i powered it on I was in the bios.. but I restarted for some reason and then from that time on I get the error about the password.
See attached image.

I have tried taking out the battery and changing the jumper p3 back and fourth but I have had no luck.

This is the AcerPower model number 5166DR extension number 5h6-e

Made in france! I cannot find the manual for this thing!

Any help on bypassing password would be great.

thanks

Attachments

Reply 2 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bios jumper is usually Jp1. Only mobo like that is not like 2020 laptop. there is nothing complicated. You may want to try set jumper to clear cmos, and power it on like that with it jumped. Fix it shut it down and put it back. maybe also want to try unpluging it pull the battery out and let it sit over night 🤣.

Reply 3 of 6, by VulcanVogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I was able to get one step further. After taking the battery out and shorting the battery leads on the mobo, and rebooting I was shown the attached screenshot screen. But even though my keyboard was working it would not react to alt-ctrl-esc. When i did f1 it was back to the same password violation error!

Warlord wrote on 2020-07-21, 16:59:

Bios jumper is usually Jp1. Only mobo like that is not like 2020 laptop. there is nothing complicated. You may want to try set jumper to clear cmos, and power it on like that with it jumped. Fix it shut it down and put it back. maybe also want to try unpluging it pull the battery out and let it sit over night 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a (much newer tho) Acer board and the ctrl-alt-esc timing is weird, if you don't press them exactly right it may require a few attempts.
Is there a block of DIP switches near the SIMM slots? If so make sure switch number 6 is ON, that should disable the password request

Reply 5 of 6, by VulcanVogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG Andrea!!!!! THAT WAS IT!!!!! I cannot believe it! There was NO manual to be found .. but indeed it was that dipswitch number 6, I turned to on and its working!!!! See screenshot

Attachments

• dip switch.jpg
    Filename
    dip switch.jpg
    File size
    367.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 6, by VulcanVogon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those who might be looking for the same motherboard - computer. Here is the info I found with everyones help

info from the bios version> ACR4BE88-M 11978328 R83-A1 S1

Motherboard model ACER V55LA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-V55LA-MB-9515 … M-/173665880169

Motherboard manual https://www.manualslib.com/products/Acer-V55la-2-452293.html