VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a super nice and clean Compaq Presario 2254 system with a K6-266 processor. Seems like it will make a pretty sweet DOS and early Win95 gaming box.

It has a single PCI expansion slot.

What should I put there? I have an Nvidia 6200 PCI that supposedly supports Win95/98. I also have a couple Voodoo2 cards.

I feel like the Voodoo card would be a more appropriate choice...

Reply 1 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like it will make a pretty sweet DOS and early Win95 gaming box.

Seems like it's a hot garbage, which is not worth investing anything. Oh, and PSUs in such budget models were also doomsday devices.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to potentially kill valuable Voodoo 2 card with 75-100w PSU of questionable quality - sure thing, go for it.

Reply 4 of 9, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the voodoo 2 combined with the onboard s3 virge makes more sense.
6200 with a k6-266 makes no sense.

in any case, I think that's fine for some 9x and DOS gaming, the sound adapter is probably not great, but should have OK compatibility.

Reply 5 of 9, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-21, 18:15:

Seems like it's a hot garbage, which is not worth investing anything.

This is rather subjective, isn't it? I remember seeing a lot of such Compaq Presario systems in the university back in 1998, where I've spent countless evenings (and some nights) playing Warcraft 2 over Kali and on IGL.Net - had a lot of pleasure and definitely don't see them as garbage. I'd say it's a lovely machine.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-21, 19:02:

If you want to potentially kill valuable Voodoo 2 card with 75-100w PSU of questionable quality - sure thing, go for it.

Also subjective and I've never understood the hype behind Voodoo cards. I had Voodoo 3 3000 myself by the end of 1999 and the first 3D-accelerated game that I played was Unreal Tournament, which was running okay but sluggish on some maps; I quickly upgraded to Riva TNT2 and the difference was significant, no more stuttering or FPS drops, while running in 32-bit graphics modes vs 16-bit on Voodoo.

I'd vote for Nvidia 6200 PCI mainly for the DVI connector, so (with a small adapter) you can plug it directly to an HDMI display without suffering of analog noise and analog-to-digital conversions (no need to "auto adjust", etc.). I am using one myself in a DOS machine just for the DVI/HDMI.

Reply 6 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is rather subjective, isn't it? I remember seeing a lot of such Compaq Presario systems in the university back in 1998, where I've spent countless evenings (and some nights) playing Warcraft 2 over Kali and on IGL.Net - had a lot of pleasure and definitely don't see them as garbage. I'd say it's a lovely machine.

That's nostalgia. I have little to no faith for a budget PC with K6 and just one PCI. That's clear indication that they've cut corners in such models.

Also subjective

That's not subjective. PSUs in these things objectively weren't good even in their prime days (corner cutting) and now it's hard to find replacement for such small AT PSU.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-21, 18:15:

Seems like it will make a pretty sweet DOS and early Win95 gaming box.

Seems like it's a hot garbage, which is not worth investing anything. Oh, and PSUs in such budget models were also doomsday devices.

I don't really agree......I have a Presario 5600 series that had a k62-350 in it. I upgraded it too a K6-3-450 and jumped the ram to 256MB. Threw in my Voodoo 3 2000 PCI and a Vortex 2 PCI,

I've been quite happy with it, and it has character.

I don't use it often but it's always worked just fine, I could even OC the CPU if I wanted too.....

Reply 8 of 9, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-21, 19:49:

That's nostalgia. I have little to no faith for a budget PC with K6 and just one PCI. That's clear indication that they've cut corners in such models.

That hardware is old, obsolete and useless for most practical purposes, but nostalgia and maybe a part in the history is what makes it valuable.

Compaq Presario 2254 seems to come with three slots: one PCI and two ISA, with one of them used for a modem. It also comes with integrated graphics and sound, and a CD-ROM drive, which was more than enough for the majority of people back in the days. I also recall that they came with monitor with integrated/detachable speakers, which made them also an excellent game and entertainment systems. Even now that would make an excellent retro gaming PC.

As for PSU issues - I don't recall that being a big problem back then in these machines and I remember they were being abused 8+ hours per day by students and teachers. But for a retro build, I would definitely replace PSU with a new one so don't see it as a big deal.

Reply 9 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hang on - is it this board?
319208-001.jpg

If so you have two ISA as well as one PCI slot (shared with third ISA). That somewhat modifies the calculation. Still, 75W isn't exactly a lot. This system was intended to have all the potential power-guzzlers integrated and really only offer token PCI expansion. Actually the onboard stuff isn't too bad - just ill-matched: you don't need an Aureal Vortex if you can't play 3D stuff anyway with that CPU and Virge.

I'd say make it an early win95 or late DOS system. Add a nice ISA sound card and an ISA or PCI NIC and you're good to go. Save the Voodoos and GeForces for a more powerful (in every sense of the word) system.