Reply 20 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Enchurito wrote on 2023-08-27, 22:00:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-08-27, 21:58:
Enchurito wrote on 2023-08-27, 21:54:

I turn it on, I see a momentary flash of the CD access light, I hear the hard drive. But no video at all

Again: With the DX-33 the PC works or not?
You did not answer my question: Is there a voltage regulator on the board?

I don't know what a voltage regulator would look like or where it is. It won't boot with the intel dx-33 or the AMD Dx4-100

You could post a picture of the board and forum members can tell.
I know it might be difficult to see the whole board, but we would NEED to see the whole mainboard.

So when the board does not even work with the DX-33, you have bigger problems, so the question if there is a voltage regulator or not is not very important.
So stick to the DX-33 for testing.
First thing you could try is disabling the onboard graphics and insert an ISA graphics card and try with that.
Do you hear some beeps from the PC speaker?

Reply 21 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-08-27, 22:05:
You could post a picture of the board and forum members can tell. I know it might be difficult to see the whole board, but we w […]
Show full quote

I don't know what a voltage regulator would look like or where it is. It won't boot with the intel dx-33 or the AMD Dx4-100

I know it might be difficult to see the whole board, but we would NEED to see the whole mainboard.

So when the board does not even work with the DX-33, you have bigger problems, so the question if there is a voltage regulator or not is not very important.
First thing you could try is disabling the onboard graphics and insert an ISA graphics card and try with that.

Another remark:
I believe that the board has 4MBs of RAM onboard.
So you could also remove both SIMMs (you wrote about 28MB, so I guess you have a 16MB SIMM and a 8MB SIMM additionally).
For booting the onboard 4MB are sufficient.

Reply 22 of 30, by Enchurito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
You could post a picture of the board and forum members can tell. I know it might be difficult to see the whole board, but we w […]
Show full quote

So I hear no sound besides the hard drive and the fans. No beeps. Let me get the parts out to show the board. I don't seem to have an isa graphics card, only vlb (which I don't think would work as the slots don't have a spot for it)

Reply 23 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Enchurito wrote on 2023-08-27, 22:16:
Show full quote

So I hear no sound besides the hard drive and the fans. No beeps. Let me get the parts out to show the board. I don't seem to have an isa graphics card, only vlb (which I don't think would work as the slots don't have a spot for it)

When there is a speaker connected and you hear no beeps at all, the board is just dead most likely. But yes please, make a picture, then we can check at least the jumper settings.

Reply 24 of 30, by Enchurito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-08-27, 22:14:
Another remark: I believe that the board has 4MBs of RAM onboard. So you could also remove both SIMMs (you wrote about 28MB, so […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Another remark:
I believe that the board has 4MBs of RAM onboard.
So you could also remove both SIMMs (you wrote about 28MB, so I guess you have a 16MB SIMM and a 8MB SIMM additionally).
For booting the onboard 4MB are sufficient.

I heard no sound besides the fans and hard drive. I also tried removing the ram chips, set the onboard ram to enabled and still not booting.
If this thing is broken I have a pentium 1 200mhz I will try instead

Attachments

Reply 25 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a good picture.
BUT: Which jumper description is the correct one?
https://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/A-B/35881.htm
or
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/a1g.htm

it seems to be very different. Maybe the jumper settings are totally wrong now?

The onboard graphics seems to be enabled correctly (JP 14 closed).

The board should be set to 33MHz. Is it done with CN14? Is the setting correct?

It seems you have 2 times 16MB, so it should be 36MB => which is maximum. But you tried already both options: onboard RAM enabled and disabled (if I understood it correctly).

With a DX-33 cpu jumpers should not be a blocking problem, machine should boot also with wrong jumpering.
What would be fatal when the external clock is set to 50MHz, then nothing will happen, that's too much.
Or when the Bios is empty, erased (for what ever reason), then of course nothing would happen, too.

EDIT: Sorry for my typos, I tried to fix it....

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2023-08-27, 23:17. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 26 of 30, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did it ever post?

Is the cache jumpered properly?
I cant see any external cache but the jumpers seem to indicate there are 256kb installed?
Maybe im just looking at the wrong jumpers? Does this setting even matter?

Last edited by DerBaum on 2023-08-27, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 27 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-27, 23:12:
Did it ever post? […]
Show full quote

Did it ever post?

I cant see any external cache but the jumpers seem to indicate there are 256kb installed?
Maybe im just looking at the wrong jumpers?

When the cache is not populated, the cache jumpers normally do not have any influence.
Yes, there are no SRAMs.Which is a bad sign, it could mean somebody removed the chips, because he/she could not get the machine to run.

Reply 28 of 30, by Enchurito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-08-27, 23:15:
Did it ever post? […]
Show full quote

Did it ever post?

When the cache is not populated, the cache jumpers normally do not have any influence.
Yes, there are no SRAMs.Which is a bad sign, it could mean somebody removed the chips, because he/she could not get the machine to run.

Yeah, I greatly appreciate everyone's help. But I'm about ready to give up on this computer. I don't have an isa video card if onboard is broken, I don't have cache chips. I think I'm going to take the CPU, ram, power supply, and drives out as extra parts and just try a different machine for early Windows 95/late DOS games.

Reply 29 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Enchurito wrote on 2023-08-27, 23:21:
Did it ever post? […]
Show full quote

Did it ever post?

Yeah, I greatly appreciate everyone's help. But I'm about ready to give up on this computer. I don't have an isa video card if onboard is broken, I don't have cache chips. I think I'm going to take the CPU, ram, power supply, and drives out as extra parts and just try a different machine for early Windows 95/late DOS games.

Please, do one more very simple test: Does the DX33 get warm? Those CPUs get very hot (they are designed like that), so easy to check.

Reply 30 of 30, by Enchurito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-08-27, 23:25:
Enchurito wrote on 2023-08-27, 23:21:

Please, do one more very simple test: Does the DX33 get warm? Those CPUs get very hot (they are designed like that), so easy to check.

Yeah it does get warm.