VOGONS

First post, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys! My system is a IBM PC Pentium 1 at 233mhz mmx with 128mb and 1mb trident video card. dual boot with dos 6.22 and windows 98

If i exchange my PCI Trident 1MB for a geforce FX 5200 PCI 128mb , would the dos compatibility be the same ? and same image quality ?

thanks for answer. I dont want to lost any dos compatibility or graphic problem. i just checked the gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ vga compatibility and it seems geforce fx 5200 wont have any problem with dos games ? but i want to be sure ? what do you think ?

( i can have one for 20$ at least i can play some d3d games in windows, but i dont want to sacrifice any compatibility for dos)

thanks for answer

Reply 1 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some specific cards may have problems, there's no 100% guarantee. For example, I have ASUS GeForce 2 MX PCI which refuse to work with Build engine games. Image quality should be obviously better.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-27, 19:09:

Some specific cards may have problems, there's no 100% guarantee. For example, I have ASUS GeForce 2 MX PCI which refuse to work with Build engine games. Image quality should be obviously better.

Considering that FX 5200 were low end cards when current, VGA picture quality may be mediocre on some of them if the manufacturer made too many compromises to get the price as low as possible . The chip itself will not be an issue, just possibly the card design .

Reply 5 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But you will loose memory, because the ROM Size of the FX is bigger and this cost you UMB Memory.

But you could load UMBPCI.SYS and get as much as you need to compensate.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 10, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Until now every dos game i run work exactly like the trident 1mb did, except 2 games.
All these games work perfect on Trident and 5200:
Keen4,Jazz,Cosmic,Doom,Simpsons,hocus pocus, Ultima 8, King Quest 6...
Fx 5200 run Duke nukem 3d perfect in 800x600 or 1024x768. ( i didnt try it on trident yet)
Keen 4 vsync and scrolling work perfect in both videocards. Matrox mystique run this keen4 like garbage with a lot of scrolling problem.

2 differences about FX 5200 and Trident.
Aladdin run with a few scrolling and vsync problem with Trident. But the same problem are a little worst on FX 5200. Game run slower on FX 5200 but it seems the good speed, i think.. Trident maybe too fast in Aladdin.
if i remember correctly Jazz Jackrabbit has a perfect vsync and scrolling with trident. FX 5200 has sometime , not often, a little stuttering, maybe cause by sync or scrolling. Difference is slight between both cards. Matrox mystique run jazz with a lot of stuttering , like a vsync and scrolling problem.

- FX 5200 has A FASTER respontime time for input lag than Trident. im not dreaming. im better with Aladdin and jazz and keen. im very surprised, the difference is noticeable.

- with FX 5200 image quality is superior. Much more Brighter, better colors, better contrast, better clarity than trident. But Trident stiil look ok good. But the Matrox Mystique has a strange problem in clarity all letters and all picture has a lot of strange noise everywhere, hard to explain , but VERY annoying , maybe not at all resolution tough. but most dos resolution have this noise and blur problem like smearing around letter and things even keen character. and has the worst brightness, contrast and clarity of both cards. I was very disappointed with the matrox mystique, trident a lot better. FX 5200 beat trident overall in image quality and similar dos performance. Matrox mystique has a very bad dos performance, its really bad in keen , even in jazz.

i will edit if i find other difference.

Thanks guys a lot . you helped me a lot. I bought the FX 5200 because of your answers, i dont regret it, im VERY Happy . thanks SO MUCH GUYS ! Special Thanks to Maxtherabbit !! you are the guy that influenced me more to buy it. Cheers! ( about the guy with the problem with build engine, try to attrib -R all files in your build engine games directory, i got duke nukem working with this, otherwise it was a fatal error or something like that)

Reply 10 of 10, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

for curious i corrected my win 98 driver problem with my fx 5200, just go read my topic about it and i have 2 other questions in this other topic, one about how to use my FX 5200 and Trident videocard in the same time in win 98 and dos .
Thanks