VOGONS

First post, by RockmanZ3R0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I have an old Gateway lp mini tower tb3 essential 700 that I recently got cleaned up and restored to some manner of working. The problem is the motherboard is shot and replacing the capacitors didn't seem to work. With that I want to get a new board that is known to be working and or refurbished and just keep all the components that I do have.

The main problem I am having is, I don't know what to get. The system is IDE and the board itself took a Slot 1 style processor. On sites such as Ebay there doesn't seem to be a lot of options. Mostly old Dell and other brands of boards. It's stupid to question if a dell motherboard would work in a gateway case. But would it? There is also the option to get a different style of board that will work but uses a different socket type.

What are my options? What should I get motherboard wise?

The parts I have are,

Video: NVIDIA TNT2 64 AGP and a ATI Radeon 9200 AGP
Ram: Hyundai PC133 CL3 168-pin DIMM SDRAM -- HYM7V631601BTFG-75-A
CPU: Intel Pentium 3 700MHz SLOT CPU 100MHz FSB SL3S9
Motherboard: Intel E205351.
Sound: Creative Labs CT5806 PCI, 4001051201.
DISK: 10gb hard drive
PSU: Gateway/Newton 200w ATX Power Supply 6500323 NPS-200PB-96
Iomega zip drive
Lastly, a generic DVD-ROM drive.

The picture included is the tower I would like to keep using. This picture was prior to the board dying .

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why not getting an exact replacement of the original board? there are a couple currently on the big auction site and it does not seem to be a bad board (it has ISA, PCI, AGP and intel chipset)

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that it a standard ATX motherboard. Pics of the back of the case please.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As cyclone3d said, first check wether your mainboard is standard ATX or M-ATX, and that includes checking whether the power supply follows the standard ATX format as well (see Compaq and others for non-ATX standards).

Once that's established, you're good to go hunting for whatever mainboard you like.