VOGONS

First post, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to do this weekly stream of updating through Windows from 1 to 10 on a Pentium 4, and I've run into a snag.

I reached Windows ME.

This week, between streams I was doing some work. And I was concerned I wouldn't have enough room on the 2GB FAT16 partition to upgrade to XP. GParted gave the option to go beyond 2GB, but I was a bit weary of that since as far as I knew that was the limit.

But....may as well try it.

So I booted to my Ghost disk, took an image to my external drive. Watched the progress bar slowly move across, acting as if it was writing data to my drive, when in reality it was creating a 0mb file and pretending to take a backup. Which, to me, is rather malicious for backup software to display a progress bar while not actually doing anything! Not only that, when it finished, it gave no error or indication anything went wrong. I've done this process many times, so I thought nothing of this ,bar went across, took the right amount of time, made a file on my external.....why in the hell the software couldn't recognize it wasn't writing data and throw up an error or alert about this, I don't get, but I'm absolutely FURIOUS with Symantec right now for sabotoging me with their half-assed programming.

But, continuing on.....I expanded the FAT16 partition a little beyond 2 GB, and when rebooting, it won't boot, of course.

I booted with my ME boot disk, and it sees there's a C: drive, but fails to see any content on it.

I booted GParted again, sized it back down to it's original size. I was rather alarmed to see GParted now identifies the partition as FAT32 instead of FAT16. It seems rather sloppy programming to me if GParted took it upon itself to convert my FAT16 partition to FAT32 without warning or alert when expanding it. Good programming means making it idiot proof.....not just assuming one wants the required steps to be done, and instead verifying a change from FAT16 to FAT32. Not that I'm sure that's what happened, but still, there are many elements of sloppy programming I keep encountering. After resizing it down, I still get it to fail to see content on the C: drive when booting to my boot disk. It sees there's a C: drive, fails to see content on it. Running fdisk, it does still see the partition as FAT16 from there.

Anyways, I have no backup thanks to the lazy programmers at Symantec, and I have a partition that seems to be borked, but the data should still be sitting on the disk. How do I repair this partition now?

Reply 1 of 6, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further update....I do have an XP partition on the machine, and I booted to that, and it does still recognize the drive, and show all the data on it from there. However, from there, it shows it as a FAT32 now, so it seems GParted took it upon itself to convert my partition from FAT32 to FAT16. But, still, when booting to the Win ME disk, the C: drive still fails to read data, and fdisk still shows it as FAT16. I would expect to be able to at least view the contents of a valid FAT32 drive from booting to a Win ME boot disk.....why can XP see the contents of my disk, but when booting to an ME disk, it acts as if there's nothing there?

Reply 2 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try something like recuva, that's the only free one I know about but there is better software than this out there.

Ive used a program called getdataback by runtime software for years.

specifically version 3.66 for fat and ntfs

Reply 3 of 6, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are those just tools for retrieving data, or can they repair partition problems? I found the partition is viewable as a FAT32 partition when viewing it from an XP drive, but when trying to boot from my boot disk to repair it and make it bootable, it still shows up as a FAT16 partition with no data. I'd like to make it bootable again.

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you see the data from within windows XP?

If so, then you should be able to just backup all the data to another drive, use FDISK to make the partition active and then run a sys C: command from a boot disk to make it bootable again.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you should recover the data. before attempting to fix it. worst case scenario then you can reformat the drive and copy the data back. Sys commanding the drive only works if you dont have NT installed on the drive. If you have a NT based MBR u need
another tool.

Reply 6 of 6, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, cool. I never recovered a Windows installation that way before. Yes, copying the data off, making a new format, copying the data back, and using the sys command has done the trick, and got me to a FAT32 partition where I can use the full drive and not worry about running out of space for the moment.

Thanks for the tips.