VOGONS

First post, by shadmere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am pretty sure I've tried the correct configuration, and this was an eBay chip so it might just be broken. I wanted to get some better opinions before I gave up, though. 😀

The board is an Opti 895. I've attached images of the manual as well as a picture of my current configuration.

When set up for a DX2 66, it does POST. When I set it up as follows, though, nothing happens at all. No beep, no image, nothing.

Only 5 attachments per post, so I'll link this last image. It's of a jumper diagram I found online and is a little easier to read (it's just jumper locations, no info about them.)

The first thing I've changed during any of my attempts was the jumpers to set the board to 3.3v. From what I've read, that's necessary for all DX4 100s, I think? I don't want to fry it, if it's not already dead. 😀

Thank you for anyone who can look at this and give any suggestions. I've been messing with it for an hour or so now, and I feel like I've tried everything that makes sense, but I might have missed something.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by steevf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking at the picture of the Motherboard, I can see you don't have all jumpers set for the DX4 CPU. I'm assuming the picture you posted is showing the jumper settings you've been trying.

EDIT: I've been staring at it for a while and I'm actually having a hard time figuring out the documentation.

Reply 2 of 3, by shadmere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help. Which jumpers do I not have set?

I tried to label the picture of the board per the documentation.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree, there are some things that seem odd in that manual but maybe this could help. Both Intel DX4 and AMD share many things similar but you did not specify which it is. Intel Dx4 (P24C) and most AMD DX4 use 3.45v, so set it to 3.45V and check the voltage on the heatsink/screw (to any ground) on the AS 2815AU you should see the same voltage as what you set the voltage jumpers. A DX2 5v will not be using that V reg but the DX4 3.45V will so if it does give 3.45v then the VRM could be the issue (OK I do not have the pinout to that Power Mosfet so it could be the left or right pin and not center). Another thing I see is that R17 SMT resistor right near it appears to be either burned or replaced as there is brown (burn or flux?) around it. The manual pictures you show are fairly poor in their description versus settings. I suggest for the DX4 you set JP16 : open. JP19: 1-2, JP20: open, JP24: open. The DX4 is an S cpu so JP14, 25, 26, 33: all closed like a 486DX2. JP15 and 17 : Open (even if a WB cache cpu it will boot set to WT).
edit: fixed one boo-boo, am sure I made others 🤣
Can you take a picture of the whole board ? And upload the manual here ? I looked thru TH99 and a few other sources but could not find anything that exactly matched.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun