VOGONS

First post, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rcently got a hold of a Compaq Deskpro EXD from a friend who wanted to get rid of old stuff.
hDvbo3b.jpg
So I got an idea: use the case for relatively more recent, but still retro, components, so that I could show it at a retrocomputing exhibit as a "sleeper" machine. I was thinking about replacing the motherboard (which right now holds a Pentium 3@733 MHz) with one that hosts an Athlon XP 3000+, and the video card (right now an nVidia Vanta and two Voodoo2 cards) with an nVidia 6600 AGP.

Now, my questions:
- will the standard power supply be adequate for the replacement components?
- will the replacement components fit? I thought I'd ask this because the Voodoo2 cards that are present right now are a little too high for the case, and make the cover bulge upwards.

Reply 1 of 3, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well you should first check if the case even fits standard ATX motherboards. The PSU will probably be underpowered for an Athlon XP, and there's also a chance it uses a proprietary pinout, although searching around it looks like you might be fine. A modern PSU might fit, you're in luck that a bottom-mounted fan is standard nowadays. I also really doubt cooling will be adequate.

Reply 2 of 3, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Larger OEM machines of the time tend to be more standards-conforming, whereas small form factor units destined for offices used proprietary design to reduce size. A quick image search indicates the Deskpro EXD houses a microATX board (4 full height slots) with a standard I/O shield. Not so sure about the PSU dimensions, though (it resembles SFX with the bolted on fan). The specs list 120W on the original PSU.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 3 of 3, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I looked for more information about the power requirements of the Athlon XP CPUs, and it looks like it would be a big hassle just to find a power supply that fits the requirements.
More Socket/Slot A 5v PSU discussion
PSU for Athlon XP 3200+, Radeon 9800 XT?

After looking at Wikipedia's list of CPU power dissipation figures, it looks like the easiest thing to do is a change of plans. I'd get a microATX board with Socket 775, to mount a Celeron 450, which only requires 35 W, as opposed to 74.3 W for an Athlon XP, and a GeForce 6600 PCI-Express.