VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it good idea to ALWAYS keep some silica gel packs (perhaps even inside a ESD safe plastic bag) inside retro computers' cases -not touching any board, in a cold location- while using them almost daily? Or maybe they're for long-term storing purposes only?
If it's all okay, how often should I replace them?
Thank you.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only for long term storage.

If you have humidity problems in a room where you have computers, a dehumidifier is what you want to use.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
deksar wrote on 2020-08-17, 13:49:

Is it good idea to ALWAYS keep some silica gel packs (perhaps even inside a ESD safe plastic bag) inside retro computers' cases -not touching any board, in a cold location- while using them almost daily? Or maybe they're for long-term storing purposes only?
If it's all okay, how often should I replace them?
Thank you.

AFAIK, silica gel packs are meant for keeping enclosed environments dry . They need to be replaced or reconditionned (there are oven dryable ones, for example) once they get saturated with moisture, otherwise they become useless and can then even moisturize their environment .

My guess is that they will be utterly useless (saturate quickly) during using because of high airflow .

Otherwise, using a fresh one in an anti-static bag with a card for long term storage might not be a bad idea if you live in a humid environment .

Reply 3 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-17, 14:03:

Only for long term storage.

If you have humidity problems in a room where you have computers, a dehumidifier is what you want to use.

100% agreed . If environment is only very humid in summer months, like where I live, using an air conditionner might be appropriate, as it will both dehumidify and cool .