VOGONS

First post, by manicgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Saved from electrolytic drowning, this very nice Panasonic CF-380 Intel 386 laptop. Kind of reminds of
some of those early 90's Tandy laptops and is almost identical to the 1500HD and 2810HD but with a different logic board.
Had a no power issue initially, so opened it up and almost all the SMD caps were leaking. As you'd expect
from Panasonic, alot of Japan branded components and a very well designed logic board. The socketed Intel 386SX chip
was also a rare find.

The board had a Dallas chip, what a relief to find that and not a sea of green muck. Decided not replace all caps and focused just on the ones around the main power components. It was much easier replacing with through hole CAPS as I could route the legs to what was left of the old pads.
I didn't want to damage any of those other components or tracks with hot air. You can see the large black and blue caps that I replaced, the SMD caps are the ones I left and didn't show much leakage.

Next, got the Dremel out and attacked that Dallas chip, what a f..ing mess 😀 I Didn't
remove the chip, left it mounted to the board. Rewired a 2-Pin JST LOSI cable to the battery
pins and re-routed it to somewhere easy accessable.

The machine powers-up now and I get the BIOS copyright message followed by the usual
CMOS settings errors. So it works by some degree and theres no suprises that the hard disk
has failed. I did manage to boot from a DOS floppy disk but I could not figure out how to access
the BIOS setup. After reading some manual online, it seems the BIOS settings are set with
a DOS file named SETUP80N.COM. Well I'm stuck with a floppy only boot for now until I can find
the setup files for this machine. So if anyone has any ideas please post what you know about this
laptop.

BTW I have tried some of the Tandy setup files but they are not supported as I guess the
software checks the BIOS version or model maybe. Found some rare Tandy setup files here:
http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/setups.html
A few of them worked but messed up the CMOS settings and gave boot errors about memory.

Attachments

• DSCF6731.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF6731.JPG
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    the logic board repair
    File license
    Public domain
  • Panasonic-CF-380.JPG
    Filename
    Panasonic-CF-380.JPG
    File size
    77.87 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    the booted laptop
    File license
    Public domain

If it ain't broke, there's something wrong with it.
Like your job, Love your wife.
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's.