VOGONS

Reviving my childhood Pentium 2.

Topic actions

First post, by Enchurito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently found my Pentium 2 I had as a teen.
It contains a MSI Ms6111 motherboard as listed below. It appears years ago it had the graphics card and sound card removed. It says it supports AGP but I'm curious at how high end I can put in there? Also is a soundblaster live or audigy 2 a better choice for windows 98 games from that era?

Thank you

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/M … II-MS-6111.html

Reply 1 of 23, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put a geforce 2 in there. It has a weak CPU so you cannot take advantage of a stronger graphics card.
Live and Audigy 2 are fine for windows gaming they should run Late dos games with environmental settings, If you want to do more earyler dos gaming Id suggest getting an ISA card something like Yamaha Audition 32 OPL3 , ESS 688 or based OPL3 compatible, or an AWE 32 or a awe 64.(hit or miss, real OPL3 or CQM on some awe32s, CQM on AWE64s,

Last edited by Warlord on 2020-08-24, 22:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 23, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a few minutes of Googling, it appears to be AGP 1.0, supporting AGP 1x and 2x cards. So first generation, which fits the age of it.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 23, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the manual (English, attached as just downloaded from MSI German site - self extracting zip file) it only supports P2. Looking on Stason, it may not support anything over 333 MHz, so would definitely need a Slocket and a PGA CPU if you want to try a P3

Attachments

• Filename
    E6111v10.exe
    File size
    473 KiB
    Downloads
    29 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 23, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the doc said since bios version 1.4 there was support for celeron. You would want to get the latest bios that is 1.8 tho. So there u go I don't know what the multipliers are.
It will be an unofficial multiplier not listed in the manual to get higher than 333.

on the board but you should be able to run a Mendocino celeron, which on and how fast depends on the multipliers.

The documented multiplier settings in the manual for 333 is 5x
so if you want to go faster than that with a celeron you have to figure out undocumented 6x-7x-8x ETC. If that even possible.
If it has a 8x multiplier you can run a 533 cele.
That also depends on the crystal and I don't know what it has. so I cant look it up to see if that chip can do that or not.

the ms 6110 is a similar board with 4 switch block and has a 6.5x multipler

Reply 8 of 23, by Enchurito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-08-24, 23:49:

I greatly appreciate this. Thank you so much! Did you see the manual in your search?

Reply 10 of 23, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Enchurito wrote on 2020-08-25, 01:59:
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-08-24, 23:49:

I greatly appreciate this. Thank you so much! Did you see the manual in your search?

I posted the manual above. I downloaded it from msi.de, but it's in English. It is a self extracting archive containing the manual as 3 pdf files plus a toc file. It's freely available on msi.de and was on the first page of a google search for the board.

Reply 12 of 23, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Enchurito wrote on 2020-08-25, 02:00:

What's some great games for this era that are not FPS games? I say that because old FPS games give me motion sickness.

I'd say LucasArts adventure games are great. Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island come to my mind. Also, the old emulators...like neoragex o6b, for neogeo games (metal slug!). Age of Empires II / III are also good on a PC like yours, if you enjoy RTS games.

Reply 13 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Enchurito wrote on 2020-08-25, 02:00:

What's some great games for this era that are not FPS games? I say that because old FPS games give me motion sickness.

StarCraft, Red Alert, Diablo, Fallout and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 are some of my favorites.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 14 of 23, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MDK is a 3rd person shooter, and would run fine on that.
Time frame for that computer is 1997.
Fully pimped out it should be able to handle anything 97-98
It will start to struggle with some titles 99 and up.

Reply 15 of 23, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The celeron is multiplier locked, so the 533 on a slocket is your best choice and will give a huge boost compared to the P2.
A Geforce 4 MX 440 will be cheaper to source than a Geforce2 GTS and will provide the same, if not better, performance.

Reply 16 of 23, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
flupke11 wrote on 2020-08-25, 06:43:

The celeron is multiplier locked, so the 533 on a slocket is your best choice and will give a huge boost compared to the P2.
A Geforce 4 MX 440 will be cheaper to source than a Geforce2 GTS and will provide the same, if not better, performance.

Totally agreed! This plus a bit more RAM would have also been a common and affordable upgrade for a PC like that to keep using it for less demanding games or as a secondary computer until ~2005.

Reply 17 of 23, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
flupke11 wrote on 2020-08-25, 06:43:

btw I am not really responding to u but adding this here for educational purposes of the OP.

The celeron is not multiplier locked, It's actually famous for being the most overclockable CPU.
Thats not the point.

And Pentium 2 and a Mendocino are not multiplier locked.
The board has a 66mhz bus FSB it has a 1/2 devider for the PCI and the agp runs at the speed of the FSB
The CPU clock multipler which is jumpered in this case switched determines the CPU speed, in increments of 1/2 and 1
1/2 means 33mhz 1 is 66 mhz.
it has a 5x documented multiplier
It gets to maxumum official supported cpu by jumpering/switching 66mhz X5 = 333
This is the way all BX type boards work.
The Pentium 3 boards are a little different. but only becasue the bus speed is 100 and they have 1/3 deviders for PCI and 2/3s for AGP
you have to set it to the right value for your CPU to run at its rated speed. Otherwise the CPU runs underclocked. Or isnt detected by the bios.
So if you put a 533 celeron in that board with a 5x multiplier it will run at 333mhz not its rated 533.

That being said I don't know if this board will run that CPU at the rated speed. And I can't find any one or has any experience with it so OP will have to play with the mutlipliers and try to figure out if it can go faster.

Or just except it for what it is and be happy.

Reply 18 of 23, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as my recollection went (on a P2L97-A), the Mendocino 533 on a slocket did not care whatever multiplier was set. Irrespective of the mainboard, it ran at multiplier 8.
Only slot 1 Covingtons and Klamath PII's were unlocked, but I do not want to start a polemic in this topic.

Fact remains that for an i440LX, the Celeron 533 Mendocino S370 is a great upgrade and one that gave me joy living on a budget in 2000.

Reply 19 of 23, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-25, 11:48:
The celeron is not multiplier locked, It's actually famous for being the most overclockable CPU. Thats not the point. And Pe […]
Show full quote

The celeron is not multiplier locked, It's actually famous for being the most overclockable CPU.
Thats not the point.

And Pentium 2 and a Mendocino are not multiplier locked.

Dude, I'm pretty sure you're mistaken there. Some early PIIs aren't multiplier locked. The later ones are. Mendocino Celerons are most certainly multiplier locked (engineering samples and the likes excluded of course). I tried over- and underclocking the multiplier on Mendocinos before myself with no success. It always stayed the same.

Edit: Citing Tomshardware:

Just like the Pentium III, all Celeron CPUs are multiplier locked. So far nobody has found a way of changing it.