VOGONS

midi gameport

Topic actions

First post, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

has anyone come across a windows 2000 driver to enable a physical
midi port with midi in/out thru the pc mobo gameport ?

the pc gameport is roland mpu-401 spec compatible
and supposed to allow midi in/out thru pins 12 & 15 ...

peace

Reply 2 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
solartony wrote on 2020-08-28, 20:48:
has anyone come across a windows 2000 driver to enable a physical midi port with midi in/out thru the pc mobo gameport ? […]
Show full quote

peace

AFAICR, Windows XP has a generic driver for that and 2000 likely does too . The MIDI/gameport must be enabled in system BIOS first and then the Windows "Add new hardware wizard" should be run to detect non plug'n play devices .

Reply 3 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:25:
has anyone come across a windows 2000 driver to enable a physical midi port with midi in/out thru the pc mobo gameport ? […]
Show full quote

peace

AFAICR, Windows XP has a generic driver for that and 2000 likely does too . The MIDI/gameport must be enabled in system BIOS first and then the Windows "Add new hardware wizard" should be run to detect non plug'n play devices .

thx darry, win2k installs a 'joystick gameport' driver on x201 address but nothing else ...
gameport configuration has no choices, eg, joystick vs midi port ...

tried install old roland 3.11 & win95 drivers on win2k, knew it would not work, shows
choices 'roland mpu midi' but it won't install, after reboot 'gameport' under 'sound media devices' comes back ...

midi mapper does not show anything ... no midi ports show on other configuration programs, eg, cakewalk or
any other .... the mobo iwill kk266 is roland 401 compliant, award bios has no gameport settings ....

peace

Reply 4 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
solartony wrote on 2020-08-28, 23:32:
thx darry, win2k installs a 'joystick gameport' driver on x201 address but nothing else ... gameport configuration has no choic […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

peace

thx darry, win2k installs a 'joystick gameport' driver on x201 address but nothing else ...

tried install old roland 3.11 & win95 drivers on win2k, knew it would not work, shows
choices 'roland mpu midi' but it won't install, after reboot 'gameport' under 'sound media devices' comes back ...

midi mapper does not show anything ... no midi ports show on other configuration programs, eg, cakewalk or
any other .... the mobo iwill kk266 is roland 401 compliant, award bios has no gameport settings ....

peace

Which version of the Iwill KK266 do you have and can you visually identify the audio controller chip used (chip should be from C-Media) ?
Does you board have audio out connectors
Also, what BIOS version do you currently have (usually shown on POST screen at boot) ?
K266 variants are listed here : https://web.archive.org/web/20021226123747/ht … 3&SID=52&MID=25

I took the liberty of checking the manual and BIOS for the plain K266 version and though the manual lists MPU-401 compatibility and audio support, the options pertaining to audio and MIDI are all hidden in the BIOS I looked at .

Reply 5 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:16:

Soft mpu Is a program not sure what ur trying to do tho

thx warlord,
not internal midi ... external midi, to physically hook up
any midi box to the pc with midi cables, anything midi outside the pc that has midi in/out ports ....

to do that, the pc needs to have a physical midi in/out port ...
the gameport roland 401 spec has that thru pins 12 & 15 of the da-15 gameport jack,
a lot of mobos have implemented it, mine does ...

however, windows 2000 installs the 'joystick port' but no option to install
the 'roland mpu 401 midi' port, and switch between the two ...
peace

Last edited by solartony on 2020-08-29, 00:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:16:
Which version of the Iwill KK266 do you have and can you visually identify the audio controller chip used (chip should be from […]
Show full quote
solartony wrote on 2020-08-28, 23:32:
thx darry, win2k installs a 'joystick gameport' driver on x201 address but nothing else ... gameport configuration has no choic […]
Show full quote

peace

Which version of the Iwill KK266 do you have and can you visually identify the audio controller chip used (chip should be from C-Media) ?
Does you board have audio out connectors
Also, what BIOS version do you currently have (usually shown on POST screen at boot) ?
K266 variants are listed here : https://web.archive.org/web/20021226123747/ht … 3&SID=52&MID=25

I took the liberty of checking the manual and BIOS for the plain K266 version and though the manual lists MPU-401 compatibility and audio support, the options pertaining to audio and MIDI are all hidden in the BIOS I looked at .

thx darry, iwill kk266 v1.0a no raid, midi data in/out to the game port is implemented thru
the VIA KT133A chipset, North Bridge VT8363A, South Bridge VT82C686B ...

the bios is 'award' v1.1, has no settings for the gameport ...
sound is thru the C-Media CM8738, but that's sound, not midi data in/out

what windows needs to show is a 'roland mpu-401 midi' port
in the win 2000 'dev mgr' under 'sound video game controllers' ...
so far it shows only 'gameport joystick' on add x201 ....

peace

Reply 7 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It won't say Roland anything... It would probably say midi or mpu401 uart. Have you installed the drivers for the onboard sound?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-28, 21:16:

Soft mpu Is a program not sure what ur trying to do tho

softmpu directs midi play data from a program/game for a gm/xg song to the internal pc sound chip
to play it, so the sound comes out the 3.5 speaker jack ... softmpu works
like an internal midi soft patch ...

the gameport sends data for the song and/or midi commands thru
pins 12 & 15 to an external device from the pc ...those midi data/control signals
go to/come from an external midi box, say a synth,
that interprets them/plays them ....

to do that, the pc needs two 5 pin din round midi ports, one in, one out ...
i got the cable for the da-15 gameport one end, the other end with those two din midi jacks in/out ...
i need the driver to make it work, ie, show the 'mpu 401' port on the win2k 'game controllers' configuration ....
peace

Reply 9 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-29, 00:35:

It won't say Roland anything... It would probably say midi or mpu401 uart. Have you installed the drivers for the onboard sound?

thx cyclone,
that's the tragedy ....

it did say 'roland mpu-401' ....before the crash ...
have no recollection of what i did to get the roland mpu-401 driver installed and up and running ...
and it worked beautifully ... to any synth in the outside world ...

i know i did something but can't find out what it was ...

yes, sound on the C-Media CM8738 mobo is awesome,
or any other board that happens to be on the isa/pci bus ...

peace

Last edited by solartony on 2020-08-29, 01:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
solartony wrote on 2020-08-29, 01:01:
thx cyclone, that's the tragedy .... […]
Show full quote

thx cyclone,
that's the tragedy ....

have no recollection of what i did to get them installed ...

peace

There are two ways your gameport/MIDI port could be wired .

a) Through the CMI8738 chip on the motherboard
b) Through the 686B southbridge (that's what the hidden options in the BIOS are likely for)

Option a) is, IMHO, the most likely .

Does your system still detect the onboard CMI8738 ? If so are its drivers installed ?

Reply 12 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

thx cyclone,
that's the tragedy ....

have no recollection of what i did to get the roland mpu-401 driver installed and up and running ...

peace

Ah... would have been helpful to know that it was working before.
Maybe you are using a different version of the driver than you were before.

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-29, 01:06:
There are two ways your gameport/MIDI port could be wired . […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

thx cyclone,
that's the tragedy ....

have no recollection of what i did to get them installed ...

peace

There are two ways your gameport/MIDI port could be wired .

a) Through the CMI8738 chip on the motherboard
b) Through the 686B southbridge (that's what the hidden options in the BIOS are likely for)

Option a) is, IMHO, the most likely .

Does your system still detect the onboard CMI8738 ? If so are its drivers installed ?

thx darry, yes, cmi detected shows in 'dev mgr', all codecs loaded, cmi plays anything, any specifics ?
peace

Reply 14 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-29, 01:23:
Ah... would have been helpful to know that it was working before. Maybe you are using a different version of the driver than you […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

thx cyclone,
that's the tragedy ....

peace

Ah... would have been helpful to know that it was working before.
Maybe you are using a different version of the driver than you were before.

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?

thx cyclone, yes, chipset latest drivers installed, rom flashed to latest version ....

yep, it would, have no notes & have no clue what other driver was used before or what i did earlier, roland has some old drivers for 3.1 & 95,
but nothing after that tmk ...

looked around for older mpu-401 versions in winnt/.../drivers , there is only one version there msmpu401.sys 5.0.2134.1 ...

peace

Reply 15 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-29, 01:06:

It needs to be IRQ 9 i think.

thx warlord, i agree , tried to install different driver versions i found
around the web, no go .... irq 9, address 200, 300 ... 330 , watching for no conflicts ...

whatever driver i tried won't start ... code 10 error mostly ...

peace

Reply 16 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are there any devices in device manager for which no drivers are installed ?

And again, are the CMI8738 onboard sound card drivers installed ? I ask because, as mentioned before, the MIDI port on your motherboard is likely connected to the CMI8738 . Additionally, I just checked and the CMI8738 drivers have a sub-device named MPU-401 .

Your situation would really make sense if the CMI8738 sound card drivers were not installed or had installation issues .

EDIT : An excerpt from the .inf file

MediaCategories="SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaCategories"
WDM_MIDI="WDM-based Device"
WDM.UART.szPname="MPU-401"
WDM.FMSynth.szPname="FM Synthesizer"

Reply 17 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-29, 02:00:
Are there any devices in device manager for which no drivers are installed ? […]
Show full quote

And again, are the CMI8738 onboard sound card drivers installed ? I ask because, as mentioned before, the MIDI port on your motherboard is likely connected to the CMI8738 . Additionally, I just checked and the CMI8738 drivers have a sub-device named MPU-401 .

Your situation would really make sense if the CMI8738 sound card drivers were not installed or had installation issues .

thx darry, yes, all latest cmi drivers installed tmk ...
cmi comes on 'dev mgr' with no (!) issues, functions fine, plays anything, .mid or .mp3 files
yes, port 401, checked the .inf file earlier too ... for some reason not being recognized/installed in win2k ...
the only driver that does not install in 'dev mgr' is the '401' ...
windows auto installs but then it appears with a (!) near '401 midi compatible device'

where did you get the .inf file from ?

peace

Reply 18 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
solartony wrote on 2020-08-29, 18:20:
thx darry, yes, all latest cmi drivers installed tmk ... cmi comes on 'dev mgr' with no (!) issues, functions fine, plays anyth […]
Show full quote
Are there any devices in device manager for which no drivers are installed ? […]
Show full quote

cmi comes on 'dev mgr' with no (!) issues, functions fine, plays anything, .mid or .mp3 files
yes, port 401, checked the .inf file earlier too ... for some reason not being recognized/installed in win2k ...
windows auto installs but then it appears with a (!) near '401 midi compatible device'

peace

I dug up my CM8738 base card, installed it in my XP machine and used Windows 2000 drivers from Iwill (the same version they had on their website). There is no MPU-401 device shown in device manager, but MPU-401 is available as a MIDI output device in the audio control panel .

I attached the driver I used .

Filename
cmi8738_0637_W2K.zip
File size
2 MiB
Downloads
49 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And this is what I see in the audio control panel :

Filename
cmi8738_0637_W2K.zip
File size
2 MiB
Downloads
49 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Attachments

• MPU401.PNG
    Filename
    MPU401.PNG
    File size
    14.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 19 of 21, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-30, 02:24:
I dug up my CM8738 base card, installed it in my XP machine and used Windows 2000 drivers from Iwill (the same version they had […]
Show full quote
solartony wrote on 2020-08-29, 18:20:
thx darry, yes, all latest cmi drivers installed tmk ... cmi comes on 'dev mgr' with no (!) issues, functions fine, plays anyth […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

peace

I dug up my CM8738 base card, installed it in my XP machine and used Windows 2000 drivers from Iwill (the same version they had on their website). There is no MPU-401 device shown in device manager, but MPU-401 is available as a MIDI output device in the audio control panel .

I attached the driver I used .
cmi8738_0637_W2K.zip

And this is what I see in the audio control panel :
cmi8738_0637_W2K.zip

awesome, thx darry, this time a re-install from cmi 'setup' file,
not from'dev mgr,' did it !!!!

... '401 mpu' finally showed up !!!

bg's quote 'we still have problems with auto detect' came to mind
a few times ...

thx for the enthusiasm & support from all ... you rock !

peace