Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Benedikt wrote on 2020-09-10, 10:48:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-10, 07:59:

I haven't actually tried it with an ISA card yet but it looks like it will auto detect resources... at least on non-pnp cards. I think you may have to manually add the needed resources for pnp cards from the looks of it but not 100% sure.

Not the other way around?

Don't think so. PnP cards usually require at least an initialization program to initialize the card and get/set the resources. Non-PnP cards' resources are set by jumpers.

So the enumeration program will most likely not detect the resources or at least the proper resources since the card has not been initialized yet.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-09-10, 20:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are the results of some resource detection tests I just did on non-PnP cards. Looking very promising:

Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 CT1330A rev 6:

ct1330a.JPG
Filename
ct1330a.JPG
File size
39.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sound Blaster 2.0 CT1350B:

ct1350b.JPG
Filename
ct1350b.JPG
File size
37.49 KiB
Views
File license

Sound Blaster 16 CT1740:

ct1740.JPG
Filename
ct1740.JPG
File size
38.4 KiB
Views
File license

TexElec Resound OPL3 v1.1:

TexElec-Resound_OPL3_1.1.JPG
Filename
TexElec-Resound_OPL3_1.1.JPG
File size
36.28 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 44, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/product/isa-usb-adapter-pcb/

The Lo-tech ISA USB Adapter is a bootable storage adapter for IBM PC, PC/XT, PC/AT and compatible hardware – essentially any PC with an ISA slot, enabling a standard USB flash drive to be used

but it`s slow.
There remakes on Ebay some Times.

Instead of CF Card, CH375 with USB Drive is used.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 23 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so to get sound card passthrough working I am going to have to do a custom build since stock 0.74 doesn't support passthrough.... or does it?

I'll start with OPL and then see if I can get digital output to passthrough as well.

I'll see if I can get MIDI passthrough to the USB-ISA adapter as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was looking on the arstech site and saw one of their FAQs

- Can I use other external power supplies?
If you know that your isa card needs additional voltages and consumes high currents - when you power it with a switching power supply it may introduce power noise , which may exceed the usb signal level - and crash the system .
For testing purposes you may use one of our external supplies - isa-pwr-x2, isa-pwr-xr, isa-pwr-ec .

Guess this explains why when I hooked up the other power supply I bought, which is a switching power supply, make the CT1350B have a ton of noise. Guess I will be ordering one of their power supplies.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 44, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Majority of power supplies are switching type, the days of 50/60Hz transformers is long over. If you got noises etc. in the sound it is due to poor power filtering in that PSU that was used. Higher quality things don't have such a problem (but if CT1350 will be interference free is questionable, those cards are designed wrong which is the primary reason for the interferences people usually get on them).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 26 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the noise is when the card isn't even playing anything. I have never heard a CT1350B output that much noise. It is like a high-pitched squeal.

I went ahead and ordered one of the 50w power supplies from arstech even though the price was higher and they charged a dumb amount of shipping. My guess is that they are linear (50/60Hz transformers).
Ended up shipping to my work address since it was cheaper than shipping to my home address.
Guess I'll see if it improves the noise output when it gets here.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27 of 44, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-12, 01:31:
Well, the noise is when the card isn't even playing anything. I have never heard a CT1350B output that much noise. It is like a […]
Show full quote

Well, the noise is when the card isn't even playing anything. I have never heard a CT1350B output that much noise. It is like a high-pitched squeal.

I went ahead and ordered one of the 50w power supplies from arstech even though the price was higher and they charged a dumb amount of shipping. My guess is that they are linear (50/60Hz transformers).
Ended up shipping to my work address since it was cheaper than shipping to my home address.

Cheap switching PSUs can be full of surprises and Creative Labs cards can be particularly susceptible to their charms . I just learned that today . See Re: [SOLVED] Apparent ground loop between devices connected to a single AC circuit (same outlet, actually)

Reply 28 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-09-12, 01:36:
Well, the noise is when the card isn't even playing anything. I have never heard a CT1350B output that much noise. It is like a […]
Show full quote

Cheap switching PSUs can be full of surprises and Creative Labs cards can be particularly susceptible to their charms . I just learned that today . See Re: [SOLVED] Apparent ground loop between devices connected to a single AC circuit (same outlet, actually)

Yeah, but this was a Meanwell power adapter. Not cheap either. Guess I should have looked at the FAQs before ordering it.

Anyway, I just want to get this thing working with dosbox and sound cards and don't want to have the wrong power supply possibly screwing it up.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29 of 44, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-12, 05:45:
darry wrote on 2020-09-12, 01:36:
Show full quote

Yeah, but this was a Meanwell power adapter. Not cheap either. Guess I should have looked at the FAQs before ordering it.

Anyway, I just want to get this thing working with dosbox and sound cards and don't want to have the wrong power supply possibly screwing it up.

I guess they "meantwell", at least. 😉 Seriously, though, finding I reliable and trustworthy source for wall-wart type PSUs is harder than I thought . I have actually been lucky enough to accidentally buy one which ended up having a fake UL number on it at one of the biggest musical instrument retailer chains in my area (got a refund) . For audio/video purposes, my strategy so far has been to try to buy OEM branded ones by Yamaha, Roland, etc from an authorized distributor. The theory behind this that if it's meant for a musical instrument or audio gear and branded by the OEM, it is likely fit for purpose (proper filtering, regulation, sometimes even a current limiter). The PSU that I was using with the OSSC (a clone OSSC, bought during the worst of the COVID induced mail slowdown, so I got it through Amazon in order to have it fast ) was the one bundled with it, which caused no issues except with my AWE64 . While testing, I was able to stop the noise by either turning off the OSSC, unplugging the OSSC from the still powered PSU, unplugging the VGA cable from the OSSC or unplugging the HDMI cable from the OSSC .

Reply 33 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the power adapter arrived from ARSTech today.. and guess what?

It is the same exact brand and model I ordered from Mouser..... grrrrr.

On their site they say not to use a switching power adapter and then I order one of their "special" power adapters and it is the same exact thing I already have... and for about $30 more.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34 of 44, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-17, 20:21:

On their site they say not to use a switching power adapter and then I order one of their "special" power adapters and it is the same exact thing I already have... and for about $30 more.

That is worth a well-worded complaint, IMHO .

Reply 35 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-09-17, 20:24:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-17, 20:21:

That is worth a well-worded complaint, IMHO .

Here is what I sent them:

I have a couple usb2isa-x3 cards. I already had a power adapter on hand (Mean Well GP50A13D-R1B) and then saw in your FAQ sectio […]
Show full quote

I have a couple usb2isa-x3 cards. I already had a power adapter on hand (Mean Well GP50A13D-R1B) and then saw in your FAQ section where it says:

"- Can I use other external power supplies?
If you know that your isa card needs additional voltages and consumes high currents - when you power it with a switching power supply it may introduce power noise , which may exceed the usb signal level - and crash the system .
For testing purposes you may use one of our external supplies - isa-pwr-x2, isa-pwr-xr, isa-pwr-ec ."

So I went ahead and ordered an isa-pwr-x2 power adatper from you.

I received it today and, much to my surprise, it is a switching power supply which your FAQ says to not use. It is a Mean Well P50A13D-R1B, which from what I can find is just the older, discontinued, model of the power adapter I already have.

That and the fact that I spent a decent amount more to order the power adapter from you makes me not very happy.

Why are you selling switching power adapters when your FAQ states that they should not be used?

Now to see what they respond back with.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And I just realized that I posted that in the completely wrong thread...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-19, 02:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 37 of 44, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-18, 04:25:

And I just realized that I posted that in the completely wrong thread...

🤣, and I answered without even noticing . Hopefully a mod/forum admin will make things right .

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-19, 02:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 44, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-18, 04:25:

And I just realized that I posted that in the complety wrong thread...

Once I figured out which thread you meant... moved posts to this thread. Annoying part: it happened on a page break, oof! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 39 of 44, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-08-31, 06:29:

Disney Sound Source likely will fail, since it is DMA-based.

Somewhat off-topic, but this is incorrect. The Disney Sound Source does not utilize DMA. It should work on any parallel port. The DSS predates the introduction of the ECP mode that added DMA support to parallel ports in later PCs in the Win9x/NT era.

It doesn't even use the IRQ line of the PC parallel port to signal that the FIFO buffer is full. The game or driver needs to poll pin 10 on the Sound Source to determine when it's okay to send data to it. See https://archive.org/details/dss-programmers-guide

So a DSS wouldn't even need a USB2ISA adapter to work (although it would likely work fine when paired with an ISA parallel port card plugged into the adapter). It should still work with any parallel port on a post-ISA PC, or even with a PCI/PCIe parallel port card, as long as the port is still accessible from DOS using the legacy I/O ports, such as 378h for LPT1, etc.

Much more interesting, as others here have already mentioned, would be to have a Sound Blaster compatible ISA card fully working with this adapter. And perhaps support for it could be added to QEMU as well.