VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Dell OptiPlex 620 with a faulty mainboard with lots of exploded caps (all Rubycon).
I also have a Dell OptiPlex 520 mainboard without it's riser card that is almost identical but it doesn't have PCI-E, has less RAM and SATA slots.
Can I use the riser card of the 620 with the 520 mainboard?

Attachments

• 620riser.jpg
    Filename
    620riser.jpg
    File size
    54.74 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    620 riser card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 520riser.jpg
    Filename
    520riser.jpg
    File size
    32.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    520 riser card
    File license
  • gx620.jpg
    Filename
    gx620.jpg
    File size
    247.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    620 mainboard
    File license
  • gx520.jpg
    Filename
    gx520.jpg
    File size
    243.91 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    520 mainboard
    File license

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like the traces from the expansion slot to PCI slot on the boards are identical so if same on the riser edge connectors to PCI slots then it should work. The PCIe on the riser may or may not due to the BIOS support or other 520 to 620 board differences. If it were me: would carefully check the riser PCI slot voltage and ground traces when plugged in but no power applied, if they are proper then at least you will not short anything out and could try it with a simple PCI vga card.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-09-05, 15:52:

If it were me: would carefully check the riser PCI slot voltage and ground traces when plugged in but no power applied, if they are proper then at least you will not short anything out and could try it with a simple PCI vga card.

Good idea, thank you! I hate when the original riser card is missing from the board especially when they are more expensive than the mainboard itself (board was $5, riser card is $30<).