VOGONS

Reply 41 of 48, by donkom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here we go! These ones couldn't photographed on an extreme angle in their packages, because those packages needed to be dissolved with acid to reveal the silicon. First up is a Pentium II Klamath:

pentium-II-klamath.jpg

The process of revealing the die likely caused some damage to the silicon, which you can see on close inspection. In fact, why not dive into the details? Here's a link to the absolutely ridicilously high resolution image (over 100 megapixels): https://donkom.ca/cpus/pentium-II-klamath-full.jpg

The closer you look, the more dust and debris you'll see. This image was taken after a lengthy soak in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine - when it arrived to me it wasn't even remotely in photographic shape. The same was true for this beauty, a Pentium 4 Willamette:

p4-willamette.jpg

By the same token, if you'd like to explore the birthplace of the NetBurst architecture in the most extreme detail you've ever seen, you can do so with the full-res image here: https://donkom.ca/cpus/p4-willamette-full.jpg

It would be fun to have unpackaged silicon dies of some of these chips to avoid the damage caused by separating them from their retail housings. Such wafers exist on eBay for other chips, but I haven't come across any from these two processors. Still, they're very pretty to look at and explore.

Reply 45 of 48, by donkom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally tracked down a 150mhz early S-Spec Pentium Pro without the coating on top of the silicon that blocked the optical interference colours. Voila!

Attachments

Reply 46 of 48, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can I only find the images on your site with direct links?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 47 of 48, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gorgeous. As a professional studio owner myself (commercial lifestyle, nothing to do with macro or product of this level) I’m impressed!

For anyone wondering, this is very, very niche stuff - both on an operational and technical level - just because you take photos for a living doth not mean you can do something like what has been done here. I wouldn’t be able to touch any of this!

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 48 of 48, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Couldn’t save it.

Winchip 225

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)