VOGONS

First post, by shadmere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've been working on this 486 for awhile, and just now am ready to close it up.

I also realized, when about to do so, that I never hooked up the PC speaker, reset switch, etc. Weird.

Anyway I hook all that up.

It still works, but now there's a terrible hum when I turn it on. The hum is definitely from the PC speaker (doesn't happen when it's not plugged in). As soon as the computer finishes the memory test, the hum goes away. I get a normal POST beep, and then everything acts normal.

On a previous motherboard that I never was able to get a hard drive working on, the PC speaker did not behave like this.

Is there something I might be able to look for to change about this? I guess I can just ignore it, but the sound makes me think something terrible is happening in there.

Here is a youtube of the noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F82tzQJUVM4

Edit: I have tried plugging the PC speaker in the other direction, just in case, but no change.

Last edited by shadmere on 2020-09-09, 22:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that's the "memory count tick", there should be a BIOS option to turn it off.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by shadmere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow okay.

I had a 486 back then, and knew a couple people who did, but I guess that just wasn't ever enabled. That noise was so terrible I didn't even consider that it might be intentional, and all my Googling just brought up things about ground loops, hah.

That was definitely it. I'm glad one of my problems was so simple for once.

Thank you!