VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by SwirlyDreamy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote on 2020-09-16, 05:31:
SwirlyDreamy wrote on 2020-09-15, 19:40:

Had one recently though trying to nLite touchpad drivers for this netbook I'm on now, and it just wouldn't detect the mouse at all even when uninstalling the driver. IDK what caused that...

I had a similar issue with an HP laptop (Intel Atom). The touchpad didn't work, but a USB mouse worked fine. That was because the touchpad was connected to an I2C device, and that I2C device was using an Intel generic driver that didn't work.

After installing HP drivers (I guess they were the "serial I/O" ones), the touchpad started to work again.

Interesting because this is actually also a HP Mini (a 110c-1010EA), thanks for the advice there. Are you referring to the ICH7 chipset files, or the Synaptics touchpad ones - which may have been modified to suit the device specifically... or something else? I did have everything there slipstreamed from HP's archives, luckily.

It's quite a hunt finding drivers for those legacy products though now, HP have decided to nuke most of them from view on their site - the downloads still exist however from their FTP links, and given a lot of those 'driver' websites don't list every variant model, I can't be 100% certain on things (and the ones that do list mine, either hide behind an installer or have sourced files from random places elsewhere that aren't the actual drivers for the system/generic non-OEM drivers, making them useless to me glares at DriverScape)

Knowing what you're doing to quite a point beforehand can certainly help matters, how quickly did it take for you to figure it out? I kept thinking I messed up the integration process of the touchpad due to (for some weird reason) the binaries being included twice in the driver installer, heh. And then thinking E2B was messing up due to a broken/fake USB drive I own, which surprisingly was not actually the case (h2 test showed it wouldn't have been either).

The user this signature is attached to can be disregarded safely.

Reply 41 of 44, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really hate printers with a burning passion. They don't even count the ink! They always ask for new cartridges before the old ones are actually empty! Their drivers are also horrible, like already stated here.
On an unrelated note, there's really no reason Vista or even XP shouldn't be able to have USB 3.0 drivers.

Reply 42 of 44, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TechieDude wrote on 2020-10-15, 23:08:

On an unrelated note, there's really no reason Vista or even XP shouldn't be able to have USB 3.0 drivers.

I think there are working USB 3.0 drivers for both.

Reply 43 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-16, 04:33:

I think there are working USB 3.0 drivers for both.

For discrete controllers (NEC/Renesas, ASMedia, Via, Fresco Logic) there are. For Intel's chipset-integrated USB3.0, there aren't official drivers, since Intel was late to the game and by the time their controllers were out, they didn't feel like supplying drivers for what was already seen as "Legacy OSes". There may be some hacks to allow said drivers to work on XP/Vista, or there may be alternatives (for example backporting Microsoft's generic XHCI drivers from Win8?) I never researched it extensively.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 44 of 44, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-16, 09:23:

For discrete controllers (NEC/Renesas, ASMedia, Via, Fresco Logic) there are. For Intel's chipset-integrated USB3.0, there aren't official drivers, since Intel was late to the game and by the time their controllers were out, they didn't feel like supplying drivers for what was already seen as "Legacy OSes". There may be some hacks to allow said drivers to work on XP/Vista, or there may be alternatives (for example backporting Microsoft's generic XHCI drivers from Win8?) I never researched it extensively.

Yeah, that's what I meant. As for

backporting Microsoft's generic XHCI drivers from Win8

Some Chinese guy actually did just that! However, I can't seem to download them, despite having found the site... Worse, I don't even have any USB 3.0 hardware to test them with. Yeah, I'm quite a bit behind on PC hardware, I know