VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I have the Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev. 4.1. I am curious though what difference between this revision and the revision 5.2 is since I read everywhere that the 5.2 is the one to have. Can anyone tell me what the deal with Rev 5.2 is and whether it is worthing trying to get one?

Thx!

Reply 1 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Main difference is the VCC3 jumpers on Rev. 5.2 that'll connect VCC 3.3V directly to the PSU. I believe that is in reaction to newer AGP cards destroying some Gigabyte mainboards with their power draw.
Also I think only Rev.5.2 has the infrared connector if you want that. 😉

You can run a wire on the back of the board from the ATX connector to the AGP slot if your revision doesn't have the jumper.

Reply 2 of 13, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh I see... do you know what kind of cards are affeccted by this? Regarding IR, whatever would one be using that? I never understood what it was good for except for sharing data with old Nokia mobile phones which had infrared.

Reply 4 of 13, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skel2raw wrote on 2020-09-19, 12:14:

Oh I see... do you know what kind of cards are affeccted by this?

The GeForce 256 was known to wreak havoc during that time, however even a Voodoo 3 card has ~ 15W of power draw, and this can be an issue with some boards (not sure about the 5AX, though, I never tested it, although I don't think I've seen anyone complaining about this when it comes to this particular board, regardless of revision).

Generally speaking, when it comes to SS7, I think there are only two good options: A Voodoo 3, or a GeForce 2 MX. However, the GeForce can be unstable on many SS7 boards out of the box, so you might need to brace yourself for a few days/weeks of debugging - until you find the right combination of BIOS version / BIOS settings / driver versions ). A Voodoo 3 is generally preferred by many, because it can be quite stable on SS7 (since it's not using any AGP specific features). However, it needs 3 times the power of the GeForce 2 MX, which can be a problem with some boards. Also, it's a bit too expensive nowadays.

The Voodoo Banshee can be a cheaper option (although, IMO this one is more suitable for a Socket 7 Pentium MMX build).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 5 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mt777 wrote on 2020-09-19, 12:17:

the main difference (valuable) is A1 vs B1 revision of bridge. Then UDMA66 ability (similiar situation is with GA-5AA rev3).
I have both revisions (5AA babyat) but never check udma speed difference.

You're absolutely right!👍 I have to admit even though I have both revisions I never noticed that.
I would not assume the speed difference will be noticeable on that platform. Obviously haven't knowingly tested it though.😅

Reply 6 of 13, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-09-18, 12:32:

Main difference is the VCC3 jumpers on Rev. 5.2 that'll connect VCC 3.3V directly to the PSU. I believe that is in reaction to newer AGP cards destroying some Gigabyte mainboards with their power draw.

You can run a wire on the back of the board from the ATX connector to the AGP slot if your revision doesn't have the jumper.

Doornkaat wrote on 2019-10-30, 12:11:

I generally agree. The chip gets very hot though so I understand this might seem troubling at first.

What's the rest of the setup, Moer? (Including motherboard revision if known.) And what BIOS? Normally a single long beep isn't VGA related. Edit: Nonsense, with later Award BIOS a repeated long beep indicates video or memory problems.

Edit2: If the motherboard is in fact the GA-6BXC Rev 2.0 you need to short JP12 and JP13 so enough power is supplied to the Voodoo. Otherwise the AGP VRM will overheat. This is a known issue with Gigabyte boards. The jumpers are a workaround bypassing the VRM and supplying 3.3V directly from the PSU IIRC.

(this quote is from another thread)

Hello.

I have the same board 5ax 4.1 + voodoo 3 2000.

Are you totally sure that the 5ax 4.1 need that agp mod?, checking the ga-6bxc it has a jumper literally designed for the voodoo (didnt mention anywhing about the voltage in the manual, just said voodoo 3), in the 5ax 5.2 the manual says:

JP13: VCC Voltage Setting
Pin No. Function
1,2 Close VCC3=3.58
2,3 Close VCC3=3.3

I have read about the hungry voodoo, and motherboards that cant handle the voodoo, but is this one of those?
I ended here because i notice the voodoo's board too much hot for being in the desktop, i know people say this cards are hot, but even in the desktop without load?.
Found the 3.3v pin from the atx connector, no idea what is the next step but I don't want to do any mod if I'm not sure this board is affected by it, I didnt find any other information on this board that clarifies this.

Thanks.

Reply 7 of 13, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bagged myself a revision 1.4 according to the eBay listing images on the bios boot screen. It's yet to arrive in the post as part of a system. Can someone tell me what the difference is Vs the revisions listed here?
apologies, rev 1.3

Last edited by gmaverick2k on 2022-09-25, 06:59. Edited 1 time in total.

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 8 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The rev 1.x FSB only goes to 83Mhz stable, the later rev's go to 100Mhz and beyond stable < probably wrong remembering something about clock limited on first rev's...
added: there were added CPU support in the v4 and v5 that made it one of the best SS7 for overclockers
if you want a quick comparison check this page and scroll down to GA-5Ax: https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/gigabyte.php

edit here is the Ver 1.x manual and quick Guide: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Gigaby … 2_jul2198_m.pdf
and https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Gigaby … 2_jul2198_q.pdf
they are same as at wayback machine listing: http://web.archive.org/web/19991128184944fw_/ … super7.htm#ali7

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 13, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-09-25, 02:31:
The rev 1.x FSB only goes to 83Mhz stable, the later rev's go to 100Mhz and beyond stable < probably wrong remembering something […]
Show full quote

The rev 1.x FSB only goes to 83Mhz stable, the later rev's go to 100Mhz and beyond stable < probably wrong remembering something about clock limited on first rev's...
added: there were added CPU support in the v4 and v5 that made it one of the best SS7 for overclockers
if you want a quick comparison check this page and scroll down to GA-5Ax: https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/gigabyte.php

edit here is the Ver 1.x manual and quick Guide: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Gigaby … 2_jul2198_m.pdf
and https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Gigaby … 2_jul2198_q.pdf
they are same as at wayback machine listing: http://web.archive.org/web/19991128184944fw_/ … super7.htm#ali7

Wow thanks. That's a lot of useful information. Appreciate it

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 10 of 13, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone. So, I'm a little unclear... am I risking my parts if I pair my GA-5AX 4.1 with a TNT2 Pro or is it just likely to throw errors?

Would this 3.3V wire mod mentioned earlier be the solution to all my problems? And anyone able to give any direction on how to do it? I am comfortable with basic soldering.

I ordered a TNT2 Pro before finding out about the potential problems and I just received it today, so now I'm antsy to try it. Someone please help this poor, ignorant fool. 😀

Reply 12 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-09-28, 21:25:

Just received it. It has the model number and rev upside down. It reads rev 4.1

If it is a rev 4.1 That is a good thing 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 13, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rocket202 wrote on 2022-08-18, 21:41:
(this quote is from another thread) […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-09-18, 12:32:

Doornkaat wrote on 2019-10-30, 12:11:

I generally agree. The chip gets very hot though so I understand this might seem troubling at first.

What's the rest of the setup, Moer? (Including motherboard revision if known.) And what BIOS? Normally a single long beep isn't VGA related. Edit: Nonsense, with later Award BIOS a repeated long beep indicates video or memory problems.

Edit2: If the motherboard is in fact the GA-6BXC Rev 2.0 you need to short JP12 and JP13 so enough power is supplied to the Voodoo. Otherwise the AGP VRM will overheat. This is a known issue with Gigabyte boards. The jumpers are a workaround bypassing the VRM and supplying 3.3V directly from the PSU IIRC.

(this quote is from another thread)

Hello.

I have the same board 5ax 4.1 + voodoo 3 2000.

Are you totally sure that the 5ax 4.1 need that agp mod?, checking the ga-6bxc it has a jumper literally designed for the voodoo (didnt mention anywhing about the voltage in the manual, just said voodoo 3), in the 5ax 5.2 the manual says:

JP13: VCC Voltage Setting
Pin No. Function
1,2 Close VCC3=3.58
2,3 Close VCC3=3.3

I have read about the hungry voodoo, and motherboards that cant handle the voodoo, but is this one of those?
I ended here because i notice the voodoo's board too much hot for being in the desktop, i know people say this cards are hot, but even in the desktop without load?.
Found the 3.3v pin from the atx connector, no idea what is the next step but I don't want to do any mod if I'm not sure this board is affected by it, I didnt find any other information on this board that clarifies this.

Thanks.

Hi! I hadn't logged on in a while so my answer is a bit delayed, sorry.
I can't tell wether some GA-5AX revisions have Voodoo jumpers. Apparently revisions of affected Gigabyte boards without the jumpers are a bit hit or miss: Some will work without it, some won't.
The Vcc3 jumper has most likely nothing to do with this issue. It's about CPU core valtage.
The Voodoo3 itself getting hot is normal and has nothing to do with the regulator. It's a hot card - 2D vs. 3D does not make that much of a difference in this generation of video cards. Point a fan on it and see if it'll run stable.

I don't have the time currently to help you with figuring out the details of how to do the AGP power mod on this particular board. Sorry. 🙁 Maybe somebody else feels up to it?